Sould I be ashamed of converting to Islam?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
IMissMyDad
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?
utr
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
This may sound stupid, but be open about it because your family and friends would rather hear it from you than someone else.

Obviously its not a bad thing, but people will question why you didn't tell them if they hear it elsewhere.

In answer to your question though, if you're ashamed then you probably shouldn't of converted, one would suggest? Either way, embrace it, Muslims are very accommodating, caring people.
SCIENCE :D
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What made you convert?
Talon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would say yes but only because I consider all religion an epic fail.
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IMissMyDad)
Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?
Your religious beliefs are your own. There isn't as much hate around Muslims as people like to pretend there is. Especially if you live in a big city like London, no one cares what you believe.
wonderuss
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes. Don't do it.
IMissMyDad
Rep:
(Original post by utr)
This may sound stupid, but be open about it because you're family and friends would rather hear it from you than someone else.

Obviously its not a bad thing, but people will question why you didn't tell them if they hear it elsewhere.

In answer to your question though, if you're ashamed then you probably shouldn't of converted, one would suggest? Either way, embrace it, Muslims are very accommodating, caring people.
Thanks. I appreciate the positivity. I think I'll tell me family first, if they don't accept it then it won't bother me. I believe what I want to believe
Kierensaddlr
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
To all those here that would impart judgment upon this person for their decision, all I have to say is this:

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged"

Done.
IMissMyDad
Rep:
(Original post by SCIENCE :D)
What made you convert?
I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace
So is every other religion, what aspect of Islam made you want to convert?
IMissMyDad
Rep:
(Original post by naso)
Yes, you're in favor of a religion that makes women wear burkas and makes it followers blow up for the sake of their God.
I don't blame you for this view. I thought so too but differences between Islam and extreme Islam are interesting. Allah accepts and forgives all
IMissMyDad
Rep:
(Original post by Talon)
I would say yes but only because I consider all religion an epic fail.
I can understand that view. Religion is the cause for most wars and I can certainly agree. Religion helps me live my daily life positively
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kierensaddlr)
To all those here that would impart judgment upon this person for their decision, all I have to say is this:

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged"

Done.
Let's do the whole quote: "Judge not, that ye not be judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

So if you're a Christian who converted to Islam, you better not slam this girl for doing the exact same thing or you're in trouble.
utr
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. I appreciate the positivity. I think I'll tell me family first, if they don't accept it then it won't bother me. I believe what I want to believe
Good on you.

Islam is far from the religion of peace, the teachings of the Qu'ran leave much to be desired, but as you've said there is difference between Islam and Islamic Extremism.

Good luck.
DYoverDX
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Could someone help?
No be ashamed of poor grammar.
Racoon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Could someone help?
Can you say exactly what it was that made you convert?
Racoon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by utr)
Good on you.

Islam is far from the religion of peace, the teachings of the Qu'ran leave much to be desired, but as you've said there is difference between Islam and Islamic Extremism.

Good luck.

What is the difference in the teaching exactly?
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Could someone help?
No of course not, it is your life, and your right what to do with it.
Mme_Bonii
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Could someone help?
Honey, there are good and bad everywhere. There are good and bad people in every religion, country, race... etc. People shouldn’t judge islam based on the bad guys only. People should stop judging it badly (due to bias) without doing the necessary research. Then they’ll know that it’s truly a religion of peace.

I encourage you to be open about it. Never be ashamed, because you’re doing absolutely nothing wrong.
utr
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
What is the difference in the teaching exactly?
Nothing as far as I'm aware, but some people (extremists) take their religious beliefs to a completely different level in comparison to moderate Muslims.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads