Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sould I be ashamed of converting to Islam? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?

ReputationRep:
    This may sound stupid, but be open about it because your family and friends would rather hear it from you than someone else.

Obviously its not a bad thing, but people will question why you didn't tell them if they hear it elsewhere.

In answer to your question though, if you're ashamed then you probably shouldn't of converted, one would suggest? Either way, embrace it, Muslims are very accommodating, caring people.

ReputationRep:
    What made you convert?

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes but only because I consider all religion an epic fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMissMyDad)
    Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?
    Your religious beliefs are your own. There isn't as much hate around Muslims as people like to pretend there is. Especially if you live in a big city like London, no one cares what you believe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    This may sound stupid, but be open about it because you're family and friends would rather hear it from you than someone else.

Obviously its not a bad thing, but people will question why you didn't tell them if they hear it elsewhere.

In answer to your question though, if you're ashamed then you probably shouldn't of converted, one would suggest? Either way, embrace it, Muslims are very accommodating, caring people.
    Thanks. I appreciate the positivity. I think I'll tell me family first, if they don't accept it then it won't bother me. I believe what I want to believe

ReputationRep:
    To all those here that would impart judgment upon this person for their decision, all I have to say is this:

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged"

Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    What made you convert?
    I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace

ReputationRep:
    I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace
    So is every other religion, what aspect of Islam made you want to convert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naso)
    Yes, you're in favor of a religion that makes women wear burkas and makes it followers blow up for the sake of their God.
    I don't blame you for this view. I thought so too but differences between Islam and extreme Islam are interesting. Allah accepts and forgives all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    I would say yes but only because I consider all religion an epic fail.
    I can understand that view. Religion is the cause for most wars and I can certainly agree. Religion helps me live my daily life positively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kierensaddlr)
    To all those here that would impart judgment upon this person for their decision, all I have to say is this:

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged"

Done.
    Let's do the whole quote: "Judge not, that ye not be judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

So if you're a Christian who converted to Islam, you better not slam this girl for doing the exact same thing or you're in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I appreciate the positivity. I think I'll tell me family first, if they don't accept it then it won't bother me. I believe what I want to believe
    Good on you.

Islam is far from the religion of peace, the teachings of the Qu'ran leave much to be desired, but as you've said there is difference between Islam and Islamic Extremism.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Could someone help?
    No be ashamed of poor grammar.

ReputationRep:

Could someone help?
    Can you say exactly what it was that made you convert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    Good on you.

Islam is far from the religion of peace, the teachings of the Qu'ran leave much to be desired, but as you've said there is difference between Islam and Islamic Extremism.

Good luck.

What is the difference in the teaching exactly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Could someone help?
    No of course not, it is your life, and your right what to do with it.

ReputationRep:

Could someone help?
    Honey, there are good and bad everywhere. There are good and bad people in every religion, country, race... etc. People shouldn’t judge islam based on the bad guys only. People should stop judging it badly (due to bias) without doing the necessary research. Then they’ll know that it’s truly a religion of peace.

I encourage you to be open about it. Never be ashamed, because you’re doing absolutely nothing wrong.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    What is the difference in the teaching exactly?
    Nothing as far as I'm aware, but some people (extremists) take their religious beliefs to a completely different level in comparison to moderate Muslims.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.