The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Quava-
I have been following through with you're 'amazing' debate skills for quite a while. I must say, by my standards they are quite poor with lack of logic, maturity and coherence :smile:

Baseless insults, no doubt because you lack a coherent argument.

And because of these lack of skills, I tend not to understand what you're saying.

That's due to your poor comprehension skills, not my phrasing.

I never once said Islam is true because of the numbers as I'll prove to you, I quote;
"With currently around 1.6 billion believers and being one of the most rapidly growing religions, no-one is bitter about your posts I can assure you that"
which was right after you fought your argument so maturely and eloquently with another when you said; "You haven't shown anywhere that I'm ignorant on Islamic doctrine, you're just salty and bitter that I don't like Islam, which isn't the same thing."

Glad you think so!

So, how about I give you some constructive criticism and advise that you read and process and understand what people are writing in order to argue in a more mature and logical way to stop you looking foolish in the future :rofl:

And who said I have to respond to the letter of what you're saying? If you’re so concerned about replying exactly and semantically to every point made then your 1.6 billion comment was also irrelevant, given that the point I was making to the user was that not liking Islam doesn’t mean someone is ignorant about it. Maybe take your own advice?

And don't manipulate peoples words and deceive them in to thinking they said something when if you could scroll and inch or two further you could find one actually said something totally different and it is that laziness and lack of argumentative skills which makes you consistently look foolish :smile:

There was no deception here, just your lack of comprehension skills, at you thinking that I was saying statistical numbers aren't true, when that's not what I said at all.
Original post by -Quava-
No, I didn't understand your argument. If you want to know why, take a scroll above a little :smile:
Perhaps you should have attempted to understand mine before you so confidently rushed in to making yourself look a little silly

Again, not my problem you couldn't comprehend a very simple statement.
(edited 4 years ago)
Nobody is making fun of your religion. We just don’t agree with its rules.
Original post by the_icy_goldfish
Look at the attacks on mosques and then think about what you comment next. Or are you not aware of what happened in New Zealand?
Do you feel cool or funny making fun of peoples religion? It's incredibly depressing that THIS is what you get your kicks out of. I pity you.
Not like you've been insulting here for quite a bit, hypocritic too eh?

There’s nothing wrong with insulting ideas, deal with it. Insulting ideologies isn’t the same as insulting people.

Cleary coming back at you for thinking your opinion is going to mean much to the ever expanding 1.6bn muslims in the world and you'll find it is your poor comprehension skills (later shown in response- scroll up if you want proof ) that are at fault here- makes you look a little foolish if you can't even recognise where you've blatantly gone wrong

Nothing wrong about it. My point to that user was that not liking Islam doesn’t mean someone is ignorant about it, so yes, your comment wasn’t relevant. Deal with the fact that people don’t have to respond exactly and semantically to every point made.

It doesn’t matter that there are lots of people who like Islam, doesn’t mean someone can’t be upset at someone else not liking it, so no logic to your point I’m afraid.

Mmmmm…. I see you have poorely comprehended what I've said... you're looking worse as I scroll down unfortunate for you :rolleyes:

Not at all, the incomprehension is all on your part.

Not like you have uninvitedly responded to users post yourself... oooh its not looking very good for you eh? :rofl:

And you weren't making any points, just refuting their points with meaningless insults

I never said people can’t reply “uninvited”, so yet more incomprehension on your part.

I was making points, again, it’s fine to insult Islam, deal with it.

Actually you'll find that it was your lack of comprehension skills that has lead us this far in to the conversation

On the contrary, it’s all your own.

You've clearly ripped of my last argument of your poor argument skills, cheaply remade to throw back at me- very good quality arguments there chuck (!)

There’s nothing original about your argument. If you’ve misunderstood then I’m going to say it, simple.

Original post by -Quava-
The only thing you gained from this post was the exercise of your hands... other than that pretty pointless and unnecessary to make you look foolish :smile:
Take a breather, treat yourself to a nice beverage and perhaps that you'll come back with something a little more refreshing or effective that can actually challenge me because this is costing me no effort and I must say I do love a little debate from time to time (only if its quality... yours aren't much tbh… a little boring reading the same things you've put repetitively and continuously for the last few years... *yawn*)

Hot air and waffle :yawn:
(edited 4 years ago)
No matter how right or wrong you are if you make points in a bad manner then you'll always fail to get anything across to people.
you can believe in what you want mate but the way you phrased your complaint is kinda rude ngl. like you wanna leave that's on you but you still gotta respect that other people believe in Islam and love the religion, and you calling their beliefs stupid is highly disrespectful.

eat pork all you want lol the issue here isn't Islam but your relationship with it *shrug*

(also i know im late to this lol but i too wanna argue for what i believe in so)
Original post by WhisperedTruth
I did eat pork at a buffet, usually eat non halal food I don’t see the problem. I have very strong beliefs on agnosticism and have referred to myself as agnostic for the past 3 years. I hate stupid Islamic beliefs being shoved down my throat, my parents disagree with what I believe in.

Even satanism is better than islam in my opinion. I never back down and usually argue with them. My voice needs to be heard.

What should I do?
I’d rather kill myself then not believing in what I wanna believe in, it’s 2017 cmon!
Let people believe in whatever they want! It isn’t hurting nobody
And the amount of times you've called people stupid, silly or foolish- I did say earlier I've been here for a while and read almost everything you've posted

I admit that I do that (called you that a few times in the last few posts) but I'll not be a hypocrite and say I don't when I do

Where? I rarely, if ever personally insult people, so it seems you're projecting onto others what you do yourself.

I never said ignorant, I said you're comments are lack so much quality because you just keep giving your opinion on things
Opinion is the lowest form of intelligence, and infant can form an opinion
So (uggghh said this 10000x at least) I responded to tell you the 1.6bn muslims don't quite care blah blah

Now, im not saying opinions are always bad, theyre really not

But continuously using them as a basis to all your arguments make you look basic *yawn*

I didn't say you called it ignorant, another misunderstanding on your part. The point I was making to the other user was that not liking Islam doesn't mean someone's ignorant about it.

You can say someone's argument lacks quality all you want, but until you demonstrate it then it's just a lazy argument that can be dismissed.

There's nothing low about an opinion, what absolute hogwash. Given that debates are almost entirely opinion based, you're really making a non-point here.

You don't need to agree with it and you don't need to like it

but spending 24 hrs dusk till dawn for years repeating the same points and insults... well for you it just looks a little problematic

Oh dear, seems like you're projecting again!

Another vital thing about arguments, you've got to take what you give and you've also got to listen to other people too- so you can keep repetitively making yourself believe that but okay.....

Oh, I do. But if you keep making the same fallacious point over and over then I'm going to continue to address it, over and over.

You didn't exactly use the word uninvited, but you did say my post was 'unrelated' therefore suggesting it was unwanted

and it wasn't unrelated, I didn't start talking about footwear, I remained on topic so jokes on you :rofl:

"Uninvited" and "unrelated" are not related (:wink:) in meaning, at all. You were whinging about my post being slightly unrelated to yours, so I simply showed you that your comment about there being loads of Muslims wasn't really relevant to my comment to the other user. You are allowed to say what you like, I have never been someone to try and stop others quoting me. So no, there's no joke, you're just misunderstanding again.

Here it is again... a very commonly used theme you stick with
You think I'm getting a little frustrated by your insults well sorry chuck i'm not, I don't get bothered by much at all
I'm so comfortable and secure with what I have that there is nothing a person can do or (or childishly comment) that can bother me
I'm more frustrated by those lack of skills although I must say I admire the courage to make a fool of yourself

Again, false. I'm not insulting you, so you're seeing things that aren't there, again. So we can see that's it's only you here who's lacking the comprehension skills to see what I'm saying.

If that's what you belief to make yourself feel comfortable, I'll allow it as it might seem quit uncomfortable as to where I've put you now

Very repetitive though, you could have just cut this down to two lines instead of wasting all that wrist strength

I repeat, if you continue to make the same fallacious comments then I'll continue to refute them.

aken straight from my post, again very original (!) Although I'll allow that too because it must be difficult to come up with something for you after monotonously repeating the same phrases, points, arguments, insults (what ever your limited knowledge ad skills will refer to them as) it must be a struggle come up with something actually effective

Look, there's no requirement to come up with original, flashy ways to say the same thing, especially in response to very poor arguments such as yours, which are mostly waffle and personal insults. Deal with it.

Original post by -Quava-
You really didn't take up that beverage did you :rofl: it shows
Poor arguments, poor quality, absolute shambles tbh

*head in hands* what are you going to respond with now? honestly cant think of more ways you can keep making yourself look like a fool
Anyway I'm just simply notifying you that I genuinely don't see anything challenging about your arguments and I don't want to spend another minute replying to cheap standard responses
So if I don't respond, just get the subtle message that your response was not worth replying too :smile: don't take it too personally
Although after that beverage, that I advised you to take (cus you sound a little frustrated and stressed), I might consider if it's worthwhile and challenging enough for me :smile:

More hot air and waffle :yawn:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by aa-k
It's clear that you've barely looked into Islam. Yes, submission to Allah is a part of the religion, and 'Islamic supremacy' as you say it is not true. Yes, any religion wants to spread, and it depends on many things about how it should be spread in Islam. You don't account for how Muslims are split on opinion in many things including fundamental aspects to the religion. It's far more complicated than people can comprehend in just a day of research for example.
Note that there are five pillars of Islam as a simple fact, by the way.
Now, as a Muslim I do not claim nor support the saying that Islam or any religion for that matter is a 'religion of peace'. I'm not delusional.

Quran 9:29:
Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled.

Tasfir Ibn Kathir (first few lines as it's quite lengthy):
Allah said, (until they pay the Jizyah), if they do not choose to embrace Islam, (with willing submission), in defeat and subservience, (and feel themselves subdued.), disgraced, humiliated and belittled. Therefore, Muslims are not allowed to honor the people of Dhimmah or elevate them above Muslims, for they are miserable, disgraced and humiliated.
(Here's the rest)

How is this not about Islamic supremacy? Don't get me wrong, the other Abrahamic faiths are similar in this regard, but it's obvious that Islam is about supremacy.
Reply 67
Yes, I've read the Qur'an. These verses were revealed when Islam was born. The Muslims at the time of course were in the minority and gained popularity, but gained in enemies too because of that. They had to defend the religion in holy wars, in which these verses and others were revealed. This I suppose is where 'supremacy' comes in, because they had to be supreme in battle and in wars. There is another element of that throughout the Qur'an where it says of course that Muslims are the true believers and others are misguided, although this is pretty standard.

There are Islamic prophecies which state that towards the end of the world, Muslims will be by far the minority and will be mocked like goats by the rest of the population. So, what's the point in 'Islamic Supremacy' if it'll eventually come to nothing anyway?

Yes, there are elements of it here and there but there are also things that can refute it. From me, I wouldn't say that Islam is about supremacy, however if you ask a different Muslim you may get a different answer.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Quran 9:29:
Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled.

Tasfir Ibn Kathir (first few lines as it's quite lengthy):
Allah said, (until they pay the Jizyah), if they do not choose to embrace Islam, (with willing submission), in defeat and subservience, (and feel themselves subdued.), disgraced, humiliated and belittled. Therefore, Muslims are not allowed to honor the people of Dhimmah or elevate them above Muslims, for they are miserable, disgraced and humiliated.
(Here's the rest)

How is this not about Islamic supremacy? Don't get me wrong, the other Abrahamic faiths are similar in this regard, but it's obvious that Islam is about supremacy.
If you look at all these comments, most of these are directed to you, you'll see that the fault lies within you. I will say, as so many people have said to you so far. Take a beverage, because you need it. I see you are a stubborn person so I won't continue this conversation but I must say that you were wrong about pretty much everything but at the end of the day, you can't convince someone something if they aren't even listening. To all the people who are writing responses which are actually valid, thank you.
Also, I did use the word ignorant correctly...maybe Google it if you're still unsure of the definition?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
As have I, making you wrong :smile:

Criticism of ideologies is perfectly legal and OK, coming under freedom of speech. No one has the right not to be offended. And it's not aggression, I'm not physically violent with anyone, I just choose to call out Islam for what it is, simple.

It clearly doesn't and you know it. Since when do people, in any meaningful number, just stop to have in-depth conversations with strangers about religion on the street..?

I repeat, I am free to insult an ideology in any way I choose, you don't have the right to not be offended. You'll notice that while you've been harping on about offensiveness that it's only you who's been personally attacking me, and not the other way round. Ideas are fair game, people are not.

Islam is claimed to be the perfect ideology for all time, therefore all of its moral standards must apply today as much as they did back then. This timeless perfection of the Quran is one of the most fundamental tenets of Islam so I would be very shocked indeed if you denied it.

Well then I'm afraid you used it incorrectly.

Says the person who has been insulting me (a person), while I have only been insulting ideas. You might want to fix that hypocrisy.
Original post by Fermion.
Nobody is making fun of your religion. We just don’t agree with its rules.

What I replied to was:

"So what are you saying? That followers of The Religion of Peace™ are likely to get violent with anyone who says otherwise? I know that joke has been around for a while, but it never gets old!"

That was the comment, which WAS making fun of Islam. If people are joking about something so close to your heart like this, with nothing to back it up except for how the media portrayed us, then that hurts. I will never get violent with ANYONE no matter their beliefs, I hardly have any Muslim friends myself, yet these comments are blindlessly made about me, and people of my religion, for no reason.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you look at all these comments, most of these are directed to you, you'll see that the fault lies within you.

And once again, that doesn’t mean they’re right. I have refuted all of their flawed points, as I have yours.

I will say, as so many people have said to you so far. Take a beverage, because you need it.

I see you’re projecting.

I see you are a stubborn person

As are you.

so I won't continue this conversation but I must say that you were wrong about pretty much everything

You can say this all you like, but the fact remains you have been totally unable to demonstrate it.

but at the end of the day, you can't convince someone something if they aren't even listening.

Indeed, this is more descriptive of you, who can’t accept the reality that it is fine and legal to criticise ideologies and that you don’t have a right to not be offended.

To all the people who are writing responses which are actually valid, thank you.
Also, I did use the word ignorant correctly...maybe Google it if you're still unsure of the definition?

Again, you used it incorrectly and were unable to show ignorance regarding Islamic doctrine. So it’s you who really needs to look up the definition.
Reply 71

Whoah! What happened to the "I would like to discuss it less aggressively" you were on about in your message?

Anywho, did you actually read that article (I have read it before)? Here's a quote from it...
"The reference is about sexual relations, which are forbidden with any woman unless she is a spouse or ‘those their right hands possess’. To be clear, this means a concubine, bondmaid or a slave"
I would suggest not calling people "stupid" or telling them to "you your ****ing research" if you are going to then reference a source that actually supports my argument!

What's more, that article is full of misinformation and the author is either ill-informed or dishonest. She states that "rape is not permitted in Islam". In reality there is no concept of "rape" in Islam - merely "lawful" and "unlawful" sex. There is "lawful" sex that we consider "rape" today, and there is "unlawful" sex that we consider perfectly acceptable today. You cannot compare or conflate the two systems.
She also claims that "rape is violent". That is not the case. Rape can take place without any violence, as long as there is coercion or undue influence - even if "consent" is given.
She also claims that Islam promotes abolition. This is completely untrue. Islam permits slavery and (as we well know) Islam cannot change. "What Allah has made halal, no man can make haram". Using manumission as a means of expiating sin is not promoting abolition.
She further claims that the passages about slavery no longer apply, which is essentially an act of kufr. No Muslim can reject even a single word of the Quran. Yes, international law has abolished slavery, but that doesn't change the fact that Allah permits it, and under a system ruled entirely and exclusively by Islam, slavery would be permitted again. That is undeniable.

Also, does that mean that you are against Christians as well? Because as far as I know, I remember that millions of Jews were killed under "Christian faith",

Yep, The Old Testament is brutally violent and intolerant as well, but that is just called "whataboutery" and is a failed argument that basically admits the accusation. "Yeah, I did them murders, but so did my brother".

oh yeah, and the fact that slavery was created by WHITE CHRISTIANS.

lol. I refer you again to your opening comments. Slavery was well established long before Christianity was invented. It is as old as human conflict. Have you never heard of the Romans? And slavery isn't about colour. Did you know that most of the African slaves bought by European traders for the Americas were sold to them by other Africans and Arabs?

If you are a Muslim, then you experience the religion and learn about it so YES he WOULD understand if he WAS a Muslim. Think about what you say before just posting random analogies that don't even link the previous comment.

If you are a Muslim, you have almost certainly been brought up to believe it is the truth, so it is difficult for you to have an objective view of it.
If my analogies are poor, you will be able to explain why.
Reply 72
-wow, so interesting for you to tell me what my religon is about when IM the muslim and youre not. And for your information, its not. Maybe start a new thread to find out the real information instead of making assumptions.

With all due respect, that would have been the perfect time to refute my argument. Simply saying "you're wrong" doesn't really get us anywhere.

-ever religoon has its downfalls but as times change, so do the ways of faith as society changes, that life.

One of the central tenets of Islam is that it is perfect and unchangeable. That is part of the story. Allah sent pervious messengers but each time, the message was corrupted so he eventually sent Muhammad as his final messenger with the incorruptible, unchangeable, final message.
Yet you are trying to tell me that Islam is not perfect and needs to change to fit in with society. I mean, I agree with you, but that is not whatIslam teaches.

Just because muslims accepted someting hundereds of years ago, doesnt mean they do now.

That is because Muslims are individuals. They are not always defined by their religion and are often better than it.

-wow. have you read it? probably not.
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/6-quran-quotes-teach-love-tolerance-freedom-religion/
Every point you have just made is proven to be ********.

Of course I have, along with associated Hadith and classical tafsir. However, it is clear that you have not, especially if your argument is cherry-picked verses that can all be contradicted by other verses. For example, you quote verse 60:9 as an example of peace and love, but the following verse forbids Muslims from being "kind and just" to some people, and a few verses earlier (60:4) it says that Ibrahim's "hatred and enmity" for non-Muslims (until they accept Allah) is a good example to follow. So much for the "love and tolerance" claim!

- youre acctually stupid. i love how you pulled that fact from thin air. Please anyone who is reading this, please look and laugh at this ignorant comment. Do you know how many mosque attacks there are? your statement would be true if it was the other way round.

Since 2005 there have been 88 deaths caused by Islamist attacks in the UK. Over the same period there have been four deaths due to Islamophobic attacks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamophobic_incidents#United_Kingdom

This is fun.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 73
Look at the attacks on mosques and then think about what you comment next. Or are you not aware of what happened in New Zealand?
Do you feel cool or funny making fun of peoples religion? It's incredibly depressing that THIS is what you get your kicks out of. I pity you.

I unequivocally and unreservedly condemn violence or oppression of any kind, whoever the perpetrators or victims are. Can you say the same?
However, I wan't the one who was inferring that people are scared to criticise Islam in public because of the potential violent reaction of some Muslims.
And I am not the one supporting the ideology that promotes killing people for their religion or sexual choices, slavery and torture.
I'm fine. Your pity would be better directed towards the victims of violent intolerance around the world.
Reply 74
**it research, mate. Do you want me to send you some links? :smile:

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp

I challenge you to present a single verse that makes more sense as the work of the omni-everything, infallible creator of the universe than it does as the work of 7th century Arabs attempting to establish a new socio-religious system based on existing knowledge and beliefs. Just one.
Reply 75
Original post by aa-k
It's clear that you've barely looked into Islam. Yes, submission to Allah is a part of the religion, and 'Islamic supremacy' as you say it is not true. .

Look at not only the five pillars but also the six articles. They are all about submission to Allah. All the details are merely ways of expiating sin or accruing good deeds.
The Quran repeatedly stresses the goal of having all people submit to Allah and the superiority of Islam over all other faiths.
Submission and supremacy.
QED

Yes, any religion wants to spread, and it depends on many things about how it should be spread in Islam. You don't account for how Muslims are split on opinion in many things including fundamental aspects to the religion. It's far more complicated than people can comprehend in just a day of research for example.

This has nothing to do with my claim that Islam is essentially about submission to Allah and Islamic supremacy. It only demonstrates the ambiguous and contradictory nature of Islamic scripture.

Note that there are five pillars of Islam as a simple fact, by the way.

So why all the disagreement and complexity?

Now, as a Muslim I do not claim nor support the saying that Islam or any religion for that matter is a 'religion of peace'. I'm not delusional

And yet you do believe that the Quran was revealed to Muhammad as the final, perfect guide for all humanity. So it's bit like saying "Of course I believe the moon is made of cheese, but it's not Gorgonzola. I'm not delusional!"
Original post by aa-k
Yes, I've read the Qur'an. These verses were revealed when Islam was born. The Muslims at the time of course were in the minority and gained popularity, but gained in enemies too because of that. They had to defend the religion in holy wars, in which these verses and others were revealed. This I suppose is where 'supremacy' comes in, because they had to be supreme in battle and in wars. There is another element of that throughout the Qur'an where it says of course that Muslims are the true believers and others are misguided, although this is pretty standard.

There are Islamic prophecies which state that towards the end of the world, Muslims will be by far the minority and will be mocked like goats by the rest of the population. So, what's the point in 'Islamic Supremacy' if it'll eventually come to nothing anyway?

Yes, there are elements of it here and there but there are also things that can refute it. From me, I wouldn't say that Islam is about supremacy, however if you ask a different Muslim you may get a different answer.

So the rules are different now? You're saying the Quran isn't perfect and immutable? The problem with Abrahamic faiths is that you can't think it's wrong, so you have to go to such lengths to defend it. This level of mental gymnastics isn't healthy.

The 'prophecies' just highlight inconsistencies in the Quran.

Yes, that's another point I've made before, all scriptures are up to interpretation. That's the dangerous thing about relying solely on scripture- how do we know if Maajid Nawaaz's version of Islam is correct or ISIS'?
Reply 77
Can't I question my own religion and still remain part of it? Do I not have the right to acknowledge that there may be contradictions in certain areas?

The answer to your question is - we don't know, because they are interpretations based on the opinion of whoever interprets it. This is why there are divides in many major religions because humans don't all agree on the same things. You have to study each verse meticulously, taking into account historical and textual context, in order to get as close as you can the 'true' meaning. This can take years and years which is why some people devote their lives to interpreting scriptures. It's a bit like studying Shakespeare if that makes sense. You cannot read/translate it literally to extract the meaning intended at the time. Similarly, Qur'anic Arabic is hard to read and understand even for those who are fluent in modern Arabic.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
So the rules are different now? You're saying the Quran isn't perfect and immutable? The problem with Abrahamic faiths is that you can't think it's wrong, so you have to go to such lengths to defend it. This level of mental gymnastics isn't healthy.

The 'prophecies' just highlight inconsistencies in the Quran.

Yes, that's another point I've made before, all scriptures are up to interpretation. That's the dangerous thing about relying solely on scripture- how do we know if Maajid Nawaaz's version of Islam is correct or ISIS'?
Reply 78
Believing in the existence of prophets is not submission, it is a belief.
Believing that certain books were revealed to certain prophets is not submission, it is a belief.
etc.
Of course I'm not denying that submission to Allah is very important in Islam, I'm just separating what you think to what is fact.
Yes, it says that Islam is superior to other religions because there is no point in following a religion if you don't think that that religion is the best for you.
There is disagreement and complexity because Islam is far more complex than 5 pillars and the Imaan. The Qur'an is not something to take literally. Different people interpret scripture according to their opinions and understanding, hence disagreements naturally occur.
For example, Shia Muslims don't believe in one of the 6 articles as Sunnis do.

Can you prove to me that that statement about the Qur'an is not true? If so, then I am indeed delusional.
Original post by QE2
Look at not only the five pillars but also the six articles. They are all about submission to Allah. All the details are merely ways of expiating sin or accruing good deeds.
The Quran repeatedly stresses the goal of having all people submit to Allah and the superiority of Islam over all other faiths.
Submission and supremacy.
QED

This has nothing to do with my claim that Islam is essentially about submission to Allah and Islamic supremacy. It only demonstrates the ambiguous and contradictory nature of Islamic scripture.

So why all the disagreement and complexity?

And yet you do believe that the Quran was revealed to Muhammad as the final, perfect guide for all humanity. So it's bit like saying "Of course I believe the moon is made of cheese, but it's not Gorgonzola. I'm not delusional!"
Do you believe the religion itself has contradictions? Questioning to seek knowledge is different.
Original post by aa-k
Can't I question my own religion and still remain part of it? Do I not have the right to acknowledge that there may be contradictions in certain areas?

The answer to your question is - we don't know, because they are interpretations based on the opinion of whoever interprets it. This is why there are divides in many major religions because humans don't all agree on the same things. You have to study each verse meticulously, taking into account historical and textual context, in order to get as close as you can the 'true' meaning. This can take years and years which is why some people devote their lives to interpreting scriptures. It's a bit like studying Shakespeare if that makes sense. You cannot read/translate it literally to extract the meaning intended at the time. Similarly, Qur'anic Arabic is hard to read and understand even for those who are fluent in modern Arabic.

Latest

Trending

Trending