The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Also that is extremely unrealistic and both things are completely unrelated. That point isn't really valid :smile:
i just highly doubt 4.6 billion people could be wrong
Original post by xxlaila03xx
There's like 500 million atheists so if the whole number thing was true it would prove you wrong.
If only things were that simple, plant man
My life would be so much better
I think the point they were trying to make habibi is that 1.8 billion is a pretty big ****ing number, and it's very unlikely that that many people blindly follow the religion. If it was so easy to disprove it I don't believe so many people would still follow the religion. According to you there's a lot of evidence against Islam so wouldn't most of these people have found it out by now? There's over 4.6 billion people following Abrahamic religions, and this 'endless' amount of evidence that you have against all of it means that a lot of these people would have found it out by now. Like if you get what I mean, the numbers wouldn't be as big.

but then again, I could be wrong
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not really, the numbers are big because of indoctrination, i.e. people who grow up already believing it's true, not because there are billions of people converting to those religions from other faiths.

Well no. Indoctrination, cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias are extremely powerful and can ensure someone selectively disregards evidence that refutes their position while only paying attention to that which confirms it. It's the same reason you still have flat Earthers even though we all know our planet is an oblate spheroid, they deny any evidence to the contrary because of their indoctrination, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

Next, you're assuming that all believers even bother to do genuine, in-depth research into all other faiths when they probably don't. If they've grown up believing a certain ideology is true it's unlikely many of them are going to have a genuine desire to research other "truths" because they'll be convinced they already know the truth.
(edited 4 years ago)
lol go on g. religion is *******s anyway, theres no need for that divide. forget islam and all its nonsense

(Original post by WhisperedTruth)
I did eat pork at a buffet, usually eat non halal food I don’t see the problem. I have very strong beliefs on agnosticism and have referred to myself as agnostic for the past 3 years. I hate stupid Islamic beliefs being shoved down my throat, my parents disagree with what I believe in.

Even satanism is better than islam in my opinion. I never back down and usually argue with them. My voice needs to be heard.

What should I do?
I’d rather kill myself then not believing in what I wanna believe in, it’s 2017 cmon!
Let people believe in whatever they want! It isn’t hurting nobody

That's an unjustified claim, given that, as I said, numbers don't indicate an ideology's veracity. What matters is what can be empirically tested and verified, not what people think is true. Also, you can't really lump all the Abrahamic believers together because they believe in different gods.
Today you can find a Muslim of every single race and country. Islam was revealed to unite the world with peace, guidance and truth.
Reply 106
Original post by -Quava-
If you're going to be bothered to reply, at least be bothered to read the conversation you nonce.
This was a response to another user who said my figures were not true.
And I replied how can my figures not be an indication of the truth because it is a fact that there are 1.6bn muslims- how can that be a lie?
Srsly, at least bother to read the conversation before you jump in so soon to make a fool out of yourself.

What was the point of bringing up the number of Muslims if you weren't using them as some sort of support for your argument.

BTW, as you clearly aren't that well informed about Islam, you should know that your prophet said "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak good or else keep silent". (sahih Bukhari & Muslim).
Also, you clearly don't know what "nonce" means, but it is ironic that you should use it.
Reply 107
Original post by -Quava-
Honestly, not only am I a Muslim, I'm a British teen and this is how we speak round. It's pretty common from my area to speak like this (which is predominantly white and non-Muslim :wink:)

Argumentum ad populum again. Just because something is popular, doesn't make it right/true/acceptable.

Loool and then comes all the keyboard warrior insults against Islamic figures

A "nonce" is someone convicted or accused of sexual acts with children. Muhammad had sex with a 9 year old girl when he was 53. Therefore he would be called a nonce by today's standards.
Anyway, you brought it up so I don't know why you are getting so upset.
Also that is extremely unrealistic and both things are completely unrelated. That point isn't really valid plant man :smile:

What is extremely unrealistic and completely unrelated?
The Qur'an deals with how non-Muslims would insult the Prophets. It records the words said to the Prophet himself like 'Magician' or 'Insane'. We don't need to respond to any insults put forward or made up by certain individuals. We should honestly feel sorry for them as we know the truth. They could never affect Allah or the Prophets. It affects not the Prophets' dignity. We'll just be patient and aware of Allah.
Reply 110
1.8 billion is a pretty big ****ing number, and it's very unlikely that that many people blindly follow the religion.

But that's the point, they do! The vast majority of religionists follow the religion that they were indoctrinated into from infancy.
I have often seen religionists say that nothing would make them change their mind. That is the definition of blind faith.

If it was so easy to disprove it I don't believe so many people would still follow the religion. According to you there's a lot of evidence against Islam so wouldn't most of these people have found it out by now?

Childhood indoctrination is very hard to break, especially when it is reinforced by family and community. It develops a psychological condition called cognitive dissonance which makes people ignore or rationalise evidence which contradicts their existing position.

There's over 4.6 billion people following Abrahamic religions, and this 'endless' amount of evidence that you have against all of it means that a lot of these people would have found it out by now. Like if you get what I mean, the numbers wouldn't be as big.

The numbers aren't actually as big as people often claim. For example, the number of Muslims is arrived at by counting the population of "Muslim" countries, but it doesn't take into account whether they actually believe or not. For example, Saudi Arabia is supposedly 99% Muslim. However, in a major study into religiosity it found that only 75% of the population called themselves "religious".
Similarly, the way questions are asked affects the result. In the last UK census, to the question "what religion are you?", over 60% picked one of the religions, but when the same people were asked "are you religious", over 60% said "no".
It is clear that many people still accept an inherited, cultural label of a religion while not actually believing in the religion itself.
Reply 111

Well, at least 2.2 billion of them must wrong, and even you are claiming that 3 billion of them are wrong!
Reply 112
Original post by 95000
Islam was revealed to unite the world with peace, guidance and truth.

As long as they all submit to Islam. There is no peace for those who worship a different god and insist that Islam is false.
Reply 113
Original post by -Quava-
I am still learning about my religion.

Ya don't say!

I brought it up to say I didn't care about the insults and neither did the 1.6bn.

But you can't speak for the other 1.6 billion, and we know that some of them care very much about it and are prepared to kill as a response to perceived insults and criticism.
Lol Just going to pop in here. For those that want to prove islam isnt the correct religion why not put your points across to someome who is more knowledgeable within the field. And for the muslims there is no point wasting time with these people let them be.

Latest

Trending

Trending