The Student Room Group

Should I be worried????!!!!

Hi,
I started learning to drive in early March and took my test yesterday. I failed it with 6 minors and 1 serious fault, he said the serious was failing to check all my mirrors when I needed to change lane, I did feel like this was unfair because he did not tell me which lane I needed to be in beforehand so I ended up in the wrong one, when I was eventually told to change there were cars behind me (in hindsight, how could I have known that if I hadn't checked my mirrors??!!) so I may have panicked a little, but I made mental notes throughout the test to obviously check my mirrors at all times so I find this hard to believe. He also gave me TWO minors for my manouvre (reversing round a corner), which my instructor said I did perfectly according to him.
I do well in exams normally (3 A*s at a-level) and I did read that people who are more academic take longer to pass driving test. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, do you think this is true? I will have had over 60 hours of driving lessons and also took insurance on my dad's car since mid-September. This all made me feel so much worse as I'd spent so much money on lessons as had my parents and failed miserably. Who the hell wants 6 minors after all this practice??
Do you think it is me or my instructor because I don't know where to go from here. My next test is booked for December 21st, now I'll have to do the new test. Do you think I should change instructor or too risky?
Don't see what getting 3 A* has to do with a driving test to be honest, unless there is some sort of correlation between mental and physical intelligence, which I doubt.

My advice would be to accept that you were at fault instead of making excuses, get more practice and hope for a better result next time.
Reply 2
Original post by javvyjingle
Hi,
I started learning to drive in early March and took my test yesterday. I failed it with 6 minors and 1 serious fault, he said the serious was failing to check all my mirrors when I needed to change lane, I did feel like this was unfair because he did not tell me which lane I needed to be in beforehand so I ended up in the wrong one, when I was eventually told to change there were cars behind me (in hindsight, how could I have known that if I hadn't checked my mirrors??!!) so I may have panicked a little, but I made mental notes throughout the test to obviously check my mirrors at all times so I find this hard to believe. He also gave me TWO minors for my manouvre (reversing round a corner), which my instructor said I did perfectly according to him.
I do well in exams normally (3 A*s at a-level) and I did read that people who are more academic take longer to pass driving test. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, do you think this is true? I will have had over 60 hours of driving lessons and also took insurance on my dad's car since mid-September. This all made me feel so much worse as I'd spent so much money on lessons as had my parents and failed miserably. Who the hell wants 6 minors after all this practice??
Do you think it is me or my instructor because I don't know where to go from here. My next test is booked for December 21st, now I'll have to do the new test. Do you think I should change instructor or too risky?

Your academic successes bear no relevance to your driving ability. Keep trying.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do well in exams normally (3 A*s at a-level) and I did read that people who are more academic take longer to pass

As above, what realistically does getting A*'s in A-Level have to do with passing a driving test? :s-smilie:
I think one of the main issues sort of stems from it being called a driving "test" It makes people think of them as similar to GCSE/A Levels when they are vastly different things
We have this preconceived notion that failing a test means that you are not capable and passing a test means you are. I bet we all know at least someone who has passed and isn't that great on the road. I could almost argue that being called a newly "qualified" driver is a bit erroneous, Its not a qualification and you are still and will forever be learning

As for your test, I wouldn't say it would be anyone's fault but your own, don't take it the wrong way but you made a serious error when driving. Keep going and practicing with your current instructor and you'll get there. The new test isn't vastly different than the old one and if you are at the stage you can take the current one, you're more than prepared for the new one. I know failing your test is a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially if you had a decent drive but consider it this way. Would you rather make a mistake in a semi controlled setting, i.e with your instructor or examiner where they can intervene or pass first time, and make the same mistake but with no one there to help you. I failed one of my tests for mirrors because I almost blindsided a lorry going around a car turning right. I was gutted but if I hadn't been on test, I would have blindsided that lorry, wrote off my car and possibly ended up in hospital. Because of that mistake, it is now ingrained in me to check my left mirror
Your mistakes make you a better driver in the long run
(edited 6 years ago)
I did say that I 'read' it. There were lots of articles in the news a few months ago saying people who have more qualifications on average take longer to pass their test than people who don't. I don't know how true they are, but having read them, they played on my mind and I wondered if anyone else Seemed to agree with it. Didn't mean for it to seem irrelevant.
Original post by UniWasEz
Don't see what getting 3 A* has to do with a driving test to be honest, unless there is some sort of correlation between mental and physical intelligence, which I doubt.

My advice would be to accept that you were at fault instead of making excuses, get more practice and hope for a better result next time.

Yes I do believe that, generally, people are stronger in either academic or manual tasks, and it would be rare to find someone skilled in both. Clearly the driving test is more of a manual task.
Yes I do believe that, generally, people are stronger in either academic or manual tasks, and it would be rare to find someone skilled in both. Clearly the driving test is more of a manual task.

I'm skilled in academic and manual stuff and don't feel particularly special, I just work hard. Trust me, when you stop looking for excuses and just put the effort in you'll be in a better position to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending