The Student Room Group

How to report dodgy traffic lights and aggressive drivers?

So on my walk to college there is a three way junction that I have to cross at. Sometimes the light for the cars goes red, and the red man still shows for a several seconds before going green. They seem a little out of sync and slow.

Today I walked up to the crossing and pushed the button, and I couldn't see the actual traffic lights for the cars, but the man was red (unsure if it was about to change or not). Two cars pulled up and began slowing and I assumed they were stopping so I walked out into the road. Turns out it wasn't a red, and the guy just shook his head at me like I'm some idiot.

What can I do about this crossing? I've seen myself and others almost run over because of this on many occasions. The drivers that come through here are very aggressive and inpatient, they always beep at us and have visibly angry faces. I am constantly worried about crossing here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So on my walk to college there is a three way junction that I have to cross at. Sometimes the light for the cars goes red, and the red man still shows for a several seconds before going green. They seem a little out of sync and slow.

Today I walked up to the crossing and pushed the button, and I couldn't see the actual traffic lights for the cars, but the man was red (unsure if it was about to change or not). Two cars pulled up and began slowing and I assumed they were stopping so I walked out into the road. Turns out it wasn't a red, and the guy just shook his head at me like I'm some idiot.

What can I do about this crossing? I've seen myself and others almost run over because of this on many occasions. The drivers that come through here are very aggressive and inpatient, they always beep at us and have visibly angry faces. I am constantly worried about crossing here.

There out of sync for a reason, because cars don't always stop. Also shaking of a head is not aggressive..
Original post by roborto1999
There out of sync for a reason, because cars don't always stop. Also shaking of a head is not aggressive..

Sorry for being unclear, I hadn't listed everything that I'd seen that I thought was aggressive. For example, I've seen cars drive at almost 40mph through yellow lights because they don't want to stop and wait at the red.
When a traffic light at a crossing goes red there is always a delay before the crossing signal goes green, to stop people crossing when late drivers pass illegally on red. They are not out of sync; the delay is deliberate. On the second point I am, frankly, astonished that you crossed when you could see the man was red. Are you some sort of dimwit? Whether the lights for the cars are red, green or tartan; you don’t cross a busy crossing unless you have right of way ... a green man. The reason you and other people nearly get run over is because you are second guessing the lights. Don’t.
Solid troll thread. Infuriatingly stupid but just about plausible. I give it a 7.5/10.
Original post by Anonymous

Sorry, so you're complaining about the drivers being "aggressive and impatient", when in reality you're the one which crossed when it was red for you...

Spoiler

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Sorry, so you're complaining about the drivers being "aggressive and impatient", when in reality you're the one which crossed when it was red for you...

Spoiler

Two cars in two lanes literally stopped at the crossing and as I began walking over they both started driving...
Original post by Adaytoremember
Two cars in two lanes literally stopped at the crossing and as I began walking over they both started driving...

Was the 'red man' light still on for you?
Reply 9

Why did you walk when your light wasn't on green? Would you drive through a red light?
Man shaking his head = aggressive driver :laugh: smh
Road Rage MANIAC sighted:
Original post by trapking
Man shaking his head = aggressive driver :laugh: smh

I already clarified earlier that this wasn't the instance I thought was aggressive. My fault for being unclear
Original post by IWMTom
Why did you walk when your light wasn't on green? Would you drive through a red light?

I was slightly in a hurry anyway, but I couldn't see the actual traffic lights, the other road was green and I didn't think both fed into the main road at the same time. The green man doesn't change quickly, it takes at least 4-5 seconds so when they stopped I thought their light went red and that the pedestrian light hasn't yet changed.
In my expirence, jumping red lights, no mots, no tax, no insurence, parking on pavements, insurence fraud all seem to be very low priority for the Police to enforce. I have reported many crimes through many different avenues and they seem to just be not addressed. I have even reported a sexual assault and I am still waiting for them to get back to me on that.

It most be a good time being a criminal, because you pretty much have a get out of jail free card, because the police are underfunded, poor applied, and knee deep in paperwork to address a majority of the crimes. If you have alot of money, or it's a big crime, they won't do alot it seems.
Reply 15
I was slightly in a hurry anyway, but I couldn't see the actual traffic lights, the other road was green and I didn't think both fed into the main road at the same time. The green man doesn't change quickly, it takes at least 4-5 seconds so when they stopped I thought their light went red and that the pedestrian light hasn't yet changed.

Right.. but that's irrelevant? If your light wasn't on green, you shouldn't have tried to cross.
Original post by IWMTom
Right.. but that's irrelevant? If your light wasn't on green, you shouldn't have tried to cross.

Do you actually wait for the green man if the road is clear?

Are you German or something?
Reply 17
Original post by TimmonaPortella

The road clearly wasn't clear, hence the disapproving looks from the drivers...
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Yes, if I can see cars approaching on the road then I do wait. However, if the road is completely clear then I will cross when the red man is still showing. Why would you cross the road with cars speeding towards you?
Original post by IWMTom
The road clearly wasn't clear, hence the disapproving looks from the drivers...

Well quite but it looked like you were making a general statement.

It's pretty normal to go if you can see that traffic is stopping. Silly to walk out if you're unsure and you wouldn't have time to get past anyway, but OP's explanation makes some sense (although I still think the thread is a joke).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending