The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job to go on holiday? Probably a stupid question

I'm a full time student, and decided to get a weekend job to develop my CV and stuff.

I have been working at my new job for a month now. Every year me and my family go back to our home country and we try to go twice a year. We usually go for about 3 weeks. We have tickets booked to go in about 2 weeks time, so I handed in my "pre-booked" holidays form when I joined my job, and at first my manager said she would approve them. Today, however, a different manager said that they aren't allowed to give me these holidays (because the head-manager said so).

I asked if there was anyway I could get them at all (eg: work my hours before I go away or something) but she said they aren't allowed to give such a long holiday to newbies, or in fact, to anyone at Christmas time. She said I can either stay and work, or I could quit, and possibly join after I come back (if they have space for me).

I wouldn't mind staying while the rest of my family go, but we can't get a refund on the plane tickets, so it would be a huge waste of money. So I guess I should quit in that case? But the thing is, I feel like if my work has no space once I come back, or they just don't want to take me, and if I apply elsewhere, I will most likely lie about why I quit my old job, if I am asked during an interview, because saying I quit just to go on holiday sounds completely stupid. I don't think anyone would hire me if they hear that reason. I wouldn't hire me tbh. Also, for the job I had before this (call centre), I quit within 4 months because it was terrible. I actually like this job, but I feel like if I quit, then it'll look like I'm bad at committing to stuff, and give any future employers a bad impression of me. The job before that (unpaid) was in a charity shop (I loved it there), and I left after 6 months because I got my first paid job (the call centre). I'm trying to last somewhere, but it's not going too well : /

I'm just looking for advice on what to do, even though I'll probably end up quitting. The different manager said maybe it's best I quit, and then come back if they have space.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cheesecake897
I'm a full time student, and decided to get a weekend job to develop my CV and stuff.

I have been working at my new job for a month now. Every year me and my family go back to our home country and we try to go twice a year. We usually go for about 3 weeks. We have tickets booked to go in about 2 weeks time, so I handed in my "pre-booked" holidays form when I joined my job, and at first my manager said she would approve them. Today, however, a different manager said that they aren't allowed to give me these holidays (because the head-manager said so).

I asked if there was anyway I could get them at all (eg: work my hours before I go away or something) but she said they aren't allowed to give such a long holiday to newbies, or in fact, to anyone at Christmas time. She said I can either stay and work, or I could quit, and possibly join after I come back (if they have space for me).

I wouldn't mind staying while the rest of my family go, but we can't get a refund on the plane tickets, so it would be a huge waste of money. So I guess I should quit in that case? But the thing is, I feel like if my work has no space once I come back, or they just don't want to take me, and if I apply elsewhere, I will most likely lie about why I quit my old job, if I am asked during an interview, because saying I quit just to go on holiday sounds completely stupid. I don't think anyone would hire me if they hear that reason. I wouldn't hire me tbh. Also, for the job I had before this (call centre), I quit within 4 months because it was terrible. I actually like this job, but I feel like if I quit, then it'll look like I'm bad at committing to stuff, and give any future employers a bad impression of me. The job before that (unpaid) was in a charity shop (I loved it there), and I left after 6 months because I got my first paid job (the call centre). I'm trying to last somewhere, but it's not going too well : /

I'm just looking for advice on what to do, even though I'll probably end up quitting. The different manager said maybe it's best I quit, and then come back if they have space.

If you don't need the money then do whatever you want, getting another part time job shouldnt be too difficult when you get back. Though I think it is best that you assume that if you leave you're not going to be offered a job at this place even if they have space when you get back, unless the manager that said you could come back is the person that does the hiring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending