The Student Room Group

When should I start learning to drive?

I'm currently in yr 12 and don't know whether I should start as soon as I'm 17 or wait until I'm done with alevels. Any advice appreciated.
Whenever you're ready.
Original post by madi24
I'm currently in yr 12 and don't know whether I should start as soon as I'm 17 or wait until I'm done with alevels. Any advice appreciated.

Depends how revision is going. If you have the MONEY and the TIME then yeh. I did mine in the summer holidays between year 11 and 12 when both were available.
Start when 17, aim to pass by the time you're 18, if you don't pass first or even second time you'll be 18 by the time you're done anyway.
I think the sooner the better. As soon as you pass you dont need to drive. I know people who have passed and wont be driving until university comes round. Once you pass you have the freedom of choice to get a car if you so desire.

I started driving 5 months after turning 17, passed 4 days before turning 18. Im also doing A levels. It was manageable but stressful.
Original post by madi24

I learnt to drive and passed in Year 12. Just manage your time wisely, and remember it's your studies which come before driving :yep:
Original post by madi24

Do it in Y12.

I did my in Y13, and although I passed in the end, I cannot tell you much I regret not taking on lessons in Y12.

If I had gotten my licence earlier, I would have been able to drive to sixth form rather than walk 30 mins each way to the train station and take the train every single day, rain or shine.
Reply 7
Ive started to learn now and Ive only turner 17 around 16 days ago. Im finding it fine and its good as its exciting to learn.
Reply 8
Original post by jbrdodd
Ive started to learn now and Ive only turner 17 around 16 days ago. Im finding it fine and its good as its exciting to learn.

Thanks everyone so much for the advice. Do any of you know any good driving schools that can give lessons at a affordable price?
Reply 9
Original post by madi24
Thanks everyone so much for the advice. Do any of you know any good driving schools that can give lessons at a affordable price?

I cant say I do. Where are you based?
Original post by madi24

Red, Bill Plant & AA are the main ones. It's max like £26.95 on a manual (£2 more for auto) some of the ADIs will only charge you £25 (mine did), ultimately it's up to them but thats the max.
Reply 11
Original post by jbrdodd
I cant say I do. Where are you based?

london
Original post by madi24
london

Im based in sheffield so I doubt the person who teaches me goes there
There were a lot of people in my class at college while I was doing my A levels that were doing 2-3 driving lessons a week. Just start them as soon as you feel ready and you feel like you can fit it in easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending