The Student Room Group

Can I make a UCAS appication to a Midwifery course if I haven't done a work placement

I'm in the process of making a UCAS application to university to do a degree in Midwifery. However, I haven't done my work experience for the subject yet.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma - my head of school at college is telling me to submit my application once I have done my placement in January (with the deadline 10 days later) risking the fact that my top 5 universities might not see my application, but my tutor is telling me to submit now and just state in my personal statement that I have work experience lined up.

Advice?
Why do you think they won't see your application? So long as you apply before the deadline you will have equal consideration.

In general the work experience is more useful for the interview than the statement, but I'm not sure why you'd risk it given that you're thinking of submitting shortly before a lot of admissions offices will be closing for Christmas.

Have you looked at the selection criteria for the places you've chosen? Midwifery has got a lot less competitive since they removed the funding but I remember at least one looked for a certain number of volunteering/work experience hours.
If you have no relevant work experience then it is pointless applying for courses like Nursing and Midwifery. You will get a very quick rejection.

Do as much work experience as you can get your hands on.. Get the grades. Apply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending