The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The accommodation is very expensive, that is true. No more expensive that living out in the city though (:>.<:smile: It also depends on what you're looking for - Cook/Llewellyn Mews are a decent(ish) price for what they are compared to others - although it is slightly depressing when you realise that that is the same as the more expensive in Southampton..
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
It is extremely expensive. Basically everything that Sephrenia said. You will have just as good a time spending £70 a week on accommodation as you will spending £140 (yes that really is the range you can expect to find...sigh).
Reply 3
Jesus,,, anyone know why it is so expensive???are there any up sides to this? Are the rooms bigger/better standard?
Reply 4
Why are they so expensive? Tbh I don't really know. I can understand that with more money comes a better quality of accommodation but I really think they're built for conference guests rather than the students, and the price goes up each year beyond the rate of inflation. (Holland Hall was £120 a week when I started in 2004; it's now £147 and you don't even get lunch during the week or any food provided at the weekends.) If you ask me Exeter is just being greedy and money-grabby.

The most expensive rooms (at £140 ish) are catered and ensuite, though I stayed one night in a room in Holland Hall and found the bed uncomfortable and the whole thing very Travelodge-ish. (examples: Holland Hall, Birks Grange, Pennsylvania Court)

Catered non-ensuite rooms are I believe in the region of £110 a week (possibly slightly less). (examples: Lopes, Hope Hall) Having seen the rooms I think they're very nice and of a good size, even the single rooms that you don't have to share with a roommate.

Self-catered ensuite are £95-£100 I think. Having stayed in this for a year I'd say it's alright, though there were a lot of things that went wrong with the electricity and plumbing during my stay (have also heard reports of a similar ilk from students in other buildings of this type of accommodation). (Examples: St Germans, Rowe House)

Self-catered non-ensuite is about £65-£70 a week - having lived in this for a year I loved it and would not hesitate to go back. It's the best value of the lot and imo the most fun too. (examples: Cook Mews, Lafrowda, St Davids)*

*let us know if you have questions on these - Sephrenia lives in Cook Mews, I lived in Lafrowda for a year and my boyfriend used to live in St Davids!
Reply 5
Self catered non-ensuite is closer to £70-£75 now - I pay £75/week at Cooks, I think Laffy is just under £70 for the standard rooms.

RE Catered non-ensuite rooms - in Kilmorie some of the single rooms are bigger than the shared room. They also have baths [which for me is a major luxury!]

But as Angelil says - let us know if you have questions on the Selfcatered non-ensuite ones :smile:
Reply 6
Angelil
Why are they so expensive? Tbh I don't really know. I can understand that with more money comes a better quality of accommodation but I really think they're built for conference guests rather than the students, and the price goes up each year beyond the rate of inflation. (Holland Hall was £120 a week when I started in 2004; it's now £147 and you don't even get lunch during the week or any food provided at the weekends.) If you ask me Exeter is just being greedy and money-grabby.

I agree, it is too expensive. 3 meals are provided on a Saturday and Sunday though.

The most expensive rooms (at £140 ish) are catered and ensuite, though I stayed one night in a room in Holland Hall and found the bed uncomfortable and the whole thing very Travelodge-ish. (examples: Holland Hall, Birks Grange, Pennsylvania Court)
I'm in Penny C- yes, when you move in, the rooms seems fairly like a Travelodge. However- as with any student room- you personalise it and make it more suited for your needs. You get a double bed, desk, shelving, wardrobe, chest of drawers, en-suite etc. I think they are great rooms, the price reflects this.

Catered non-ensuite rooms are I believe in the region of £110 a week (possibly slightly less). (examples: Lopes, Hope Hall) Having seen the rooms I think they're very nice and of a good size, even the single rooms that you don't have to share with a roommate.
Penny C is part of Lopes Hall, we all go to meals together, their rooms are mostly quite large. The only thing is their bathrooms are shared and the standard is a lot less. (But fine all the same!)

Self-catered ensuite are £95-£100 I think. Having stayed in this for a year I'd say it's alright, though there were a lot of things that went wrong with the electricity and plumbing during my stay (have also heard reports of a similar ilk from students in other buildings of this type of accommodation). (Examples: St Germans, Rowe House)

Self-catered non-ensuite is about £65-£70 a week - having lived in this for a year I loved it and would not hesitate to go back. It's the best value of the lot and imo the most fun too. (examples: Cook Mews, Lafrowda, St Davids)*

*let us know if you have questions on these - Sephrenia lives in Cook Mews, I lived in Lafrowda for a year and my boyfriend used to live in St Davids!

Obviously Angelil and Sephrenia have experience of Self-Catered, non-ensuite and have had a great time there. Tbh everyone always believes their halls are the best, so be prepared! I think most people are happy wherever you are- it's the people that matter ultimately. Basically, accommodation is expensive here- if you can afford catered halls, I'd really recommend them. Trying to be subjective, I can safely say most people in self-catering are enjoying themselves too and you'd be happy wherever you go!
Reply 7
In my experience Self catered non-ensuite seem to be much more sociable than catered halls. In Cooks there are nearly always people from different floors/flats hanging around chatting to people. In my experience of catered halls everyone keeps to their room and only seem to talk either to their room mate or people at dinner and just hide away!

ALthough be warned of maintenance - our flat door lock has broken - we got locked into our flat and had to open the door with a spoon 2 days ago. Estate Patrol came out and took off the lock so we could get in and out, but maintenance still hasn't come to give us a new door lock...
Reply 8
I'm kind of against choosing self-catered, as I cannot cook. Is that a problem? Do people in the self-catered halls all cook together?

Is it worth being in a self-catered room? Because with all the cost for food and all, I think choosing the catered one would turn out to be much cheaper.

What are the advantages of both?
Reply 9
First off, cooking - that doesn't matter. I couldn't cook very well before I came to uni, now Im cooking roast dinners! Get your mum to help you cook over the summer and teach how to cook quick easy meals and things. For the first week in my flat we cooked for each other, than we had lectures and our timetables were all over the place so we didnt. Now theres 4 of us who regularly cook for each other - we're all from different flats and are all living together. One of my flatmates came and couldn't even fry an egg, in self catered you just have a laugh and attempt to cook, and if it goes balls up then you try again another day and eat as much of the wrecked meal as possible [usually with tomato ketchup stolen from the pub] And don't forget that 2nd year you'll have to learn to cook anyway - I think its best to learn to cook where if things go completely wrong [we've had exploding cans or condensed milk {Caramel making attempt gone very wrong}, slabs of bacon on fire, sausages on fire, baking paper burning, holes in microwaves, 'most everything] you're not risking burning down an entire house- -as there are lovely fire blankets and fire extinguishers very close by!

I propbably spend about £10-£15 on food a week, so I pay less than a catered room would. And in Most catered you don't get all the meals anyway, so you still need to buy food for lunch etc. Also with Catered if you go out for a meal you've spent the money on the meal and then the money on the food provided that you didn't eat. So you're paying for food twice - half of which you didn't eat. In S/C if you go out for a meal you don't waste the food you already have in the flat.

With catered - remember that if you don't like the food on offer you're stuck. I had a look at the Kilmoire menu - I could only eat 2 or 3 of the meals on offer over the entire week. They have a lot of curry and such things, and the vegetarian meals didnt look too appetising either. Are you a fussy eater? Or would you eat anything? If you're a fussy eater then you might ahve problems when it comes to eating the food they provide. A few of my friends find the meals very very greasy as well - theres a thread somewhere around here talking about it - I think its in the thread about ensuite or non-ensuite. And don't forget that there are set mealtimes for catered - if you ahve late lectures then you can miss out on the meals - I finish lectures some days at 5/6pm, as does my friends in catered - they miss out on all the nice food those days - one of my friends ends up with a plate of potato for her meal at least once a week because she can't eat anything thats left. Whereas I jsut go home and cook what I want and I can guarantee that it won't be cold, or just a plate of mashed potato or whatever. And if I really cant be bothered to cook I can go to Birks Grange and buy a dinner up there and eat with the catered, so I could go and have a ncie roast dinner if I felt like it. With breakfast as well - if you sleep in then you miss out on the breakfast that you've paid for - do you really want to get up in time for breakfast every day? I know I owuldn't - I had breakfast at about 11.30 today! So you would ahve to buy breakfast cereal etc as well. I think that some catered have mini kitchens so you can cook a little something if you wanted to and you have a mini fridge, but I don't know about you, but I would object to paying for food you don't eat.

But which is better depends entirely on you. Like I said, its easy enough to learn how to cook - you'll have lots of people in the same boat as you in self catered, willing to lend a hand and give advice - only the other day I had a flatmate in my room asking how to cook mashed potato. When you get a house with a few people you ahve to remember that its only a few of you, and msot likely they won't have cooked much so they won't be able to help you learn!

[realises this is a very anti-catered post and very pro-self catered]

But really, I don't think I would have half as much fun in Catered as I have in self catered :smile:
Reply 10
Wow! You've really talked me into getting a room in a self-catered building! Thank you for all your information and advice! I'll probably see you next year :smile:
Reply 11
Oooh I've always wanted to go self-catered because its just my style, but I feared it would be a lot less sociable because you don't necessarily eat with loads of other people in a hall where you can meet everyone.

Now you've said that, self-catered now holds all the pros and none of the cons :smile:.
I'm glad I could help =)

Some more info on halls here Catered Self Catered
[I wrote most of the Cook Mews article :p:]
Reply 13
ladytoxic
I'm kind of against choosing self-catered, as I cannot cook. Is that a problem? Do people in the self-catered halls all cook together?

Is it worth being in a self-catered room? Because with all the cost for food and all, I think choosing the catered one would turn out to be much cheaper.

What are the advantages of both?

Not being able to cook when you arrive is no problem - lots of people can't and you soon learn. It's also much cheaper to cook your own food than it is to go catered (I've done the maths on this site somewhere, you might be able to find it if you do a search).

Having effectively been in catered accommodation as a postgraduate, I can see very very few advantages. It's nice to eat with all your friends and know people will be there, and it's nice to not make an effort. However, that's as far as it goes. The food, while edible, is extremely expensive for what it is and so for this term I've actually changed my catering plan so I don't eat in hall as the waste of money is just incredible. (Even taking into account the money spent per meal, in the majority of cases you also don't get back food you don't eat if you are ill/go out with friends/go home for the weekend/want a lie-in/aren't hungry at the allotted meal time.) It can also be extremely antisocial outside of meals - I don't even know the names of the people on my corridor. However, I think a lot of people choose to go catered as it takes the pressure off.

Self-catered accommodation can often be of a lesser quality at Exeter but there's still a range to choose from. People claim it is less sociable than catered halls but I disagree. It does mean you have to throw yourself into the total independence of cooking for yourself but imo the sooner you get used to it the better - how will it help you to delay learning to cook by an extra year? It is also far better value for money (when you take the St Germans rooms, which at £95 a pop are just as nice as the Penny C rooms with ensuite etc, there is no way on earth that you spend the £50 difference between the two rooms on food and laundry in a single week).
Reply 14
Do they have dishwashers?
I didnt think it was thatttt expensive.

but then i think gonna get in debt may as well get into as much as you need to.
Reply 16
eDDeboo
Do they have dishwashers?

No - there's no room and they use a hideous amount of water so they're very expensive to run.
Reply 17
Angelil
No - there's no room and they use a hideous amount of water so they're very expensive to run.

Damn..
In Bristol where house prices are pretty expensive you can get a room in a house that's converted into flats with 2 bathrooms, shared living room, kitchen and garden and for £300 a month.
- That includes bills except for internet, and there's a dishwasher and a giant fridge-freezer with ice cube maker to top it off lol.

I'd go to Bristol uni if I didn't want to broaden my horizons..

Aren't most part time jobs £400 (max) a month?
Think I'll be taking my 9 man tent and gas stove :biggrin: EDIT: Its probably bigger than the rooms :P
Angelil
Not being able to cook when you arrive is no problem - lots of people can't and you soon learn. It's also much cheaper to cook your own food than it is to go catered (I've done the maths on this site somewhere, you might be able to find it if you do a search).

Having effectively been in catered accommodation as a postgraduate, I can see very very few advantages. It's nice to eat with all your friends and know people will be there, and it's nice to not make an effort. However, that's as far as it goes. The food, while edible, is extremely expensive for what it is and so for this term I've actually changed my catering plan so I don't eat in hall as the waste of money is just incredible. (Even taking into account the money spent per meal, in the majority of cases you also don't get back food you don't eat if you are ill/go out with friends/go home for the weekend/want a lie-in/aren't hungry at the allotted meal time.) It can also be extremely antisocial outside of meals - I don't even know the names of the people on my corridor. However, I think a lot of people choose to go catered as it takes the pressure off.

Self-catered accommodation can often be of a lesser quality at Exeter but there's still a range to choose from. People claim it is less sociable than catered halls but I disagree. It does mean you have to throw yourself into the total independence of cooking for yourself but imo the sooner you get used to it the better - how will it help you to delay learning to cook by an extra year? It is also far better value for money (when you take the St Germans rooms, which at £95 a pop are just as nice as the Penny C rooms with ensuite etc, there is no way on earth that you spend the £50 difference between the two rooms on food and laundry in a single week).
And ruin your own property and not the unis :flute:

eDDoboo - In one of the threads around here there's a picture of a typical Cook Mews room [ie mine when its tidy!] - Im not sure how it compares to any of the other Self-Catered rooms, but tis plenty big enough for me to live in pretty much! Believe it or not I have 2 car-loads of junk slotted into this room, my only worry is how I'm going to get it all home again! I *think* its bigger than Lafrowda standard room, not too sure on that one, I only saw Lafrowda briefly on an Open day and it was rather poxy - couldn't fir many people into it, whereas here you could probably fit most of Cooks in there!
Reply 19
Laffy is a tricky one. In terms of design/fixtures and fittings provided it seems much the same. However, everyone in Laffy swore my room was bigger than theirs, but whether it was just at a different angle to theirs is difficult to tell. As it was, I had plenty of floor space and it was actually an upgrade from my room at home in that respect :redface:

eddeboo - you're still talking about a HOUSE in Bristol there, not uni accommodation. We had one in our house in Exeter but it never got used as it was hideously expensive, particularly when we were on a pay-per-drip water meter.

Latest

Trending

Trending