The Student Room Group

Hey, guys- I'm a superhero!

30 Dec 2017 Hey, guys- I'm a superhero!

Cool title, huh? Got your attention? Great!

Because my first act as prime minister of this blog is to completely contradict that and declare that no one is a superhero. Sorry!

Okay, I've suddenly realised that this is a really weird start to the post, but let me explain: I've declared that no one is a superhero because no one is a superhero. We're just a bunch of students clawing our way through the mud with our own baggage and problems, which may seem pretty heroic at times, but- to quote rag'n'bone man (or christina perri, it really depends on your taste)- "i'm only human". And so are you. Which isn't really a bad thing... In fact, it's the opposite! It means, instead of being some perfect, selfless being with superpowers who constantly saves the world, we're flawed, sometimes selfish beings with the ability to grow and help people due to our own free will, and sometimes that can make us better than superheros.

...Can you tell that I want to do philosophy A-Level yet?

Anyway, all that growing shi... uh, stuff... links into this whole GYG thing, right? I mean, I sure hope it does, because I spent enough time thinking about it! And, as you guys probably know, at this time of year every single second is valuable mock revision time. So, of course, it's the perfect time to start a blog!

Right, now you've read through all that philosophical nonsense, here's a bit about me. You can relax now.

Subjects:
-Maths
-English lang and lit
-Biology
-Chemistry (my least favourite... yeah, sorry science nerds, there's nitrogen oxide way i'm a-levelling this. and yeah, there are plenty more puns where that came from)
-Physics
-French
-Spanish
-RS
-History

What I Want To Do For A-Levels™:
-Philosophy
-Politics
-French

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up™:
A humanitarian relief worker... Or at least a worker in that sector. Don't ask how I'm planning on doing it, because I have absolutely no clue (watch out for that phrase a lot, i'm likely to use it in every post)

My aims:
Keep what little is left of my sanity and get grades. Yeah, no sappy cr*p here. Jumping in and out- I just want to emerge with my life. And preferably with a string of A*s. Oh, sorry, nines. But hey, life doesn't always work that way I guess!

Blog plan:
There isn't one. I'll update when I can (at least once a week?), but this is a complete free-for-all. Also, feel free to PM me or AMA. I'll be as friendly as possible!

-honeyofcourse :flip:

(also, seeing as i have no relevant pictures to put on here yet, here's one of my dog, george)

Snapchat-50752582 (1).jpg

Scroll to see replies

31 Dec 2017 Bathing my calculator
2 for 2 on weird titles.

In all honesty, it wasn't my idea to bathe my calculator- it's one of those oddly specific rules to stop us cheating on our mocks. Our stationary can't have any sort of writing or marks that could be seen as "secret code" for answers. I mean, I completely blame year 9 me for scribbling all over it in felt tip and tippexing hearts and smothering it with glitter glue... That poor calculator, it's been through a lot.

Speaking of mocks though, how does everyone ("everyone" being the 2 people who actually read this) feel about them? Or if you've done them, how were they?

I'm feeling kinda relaxed about them, although I'm slightly worried that that might be my downfall. My hamartia, if you will. My form, on the other hand, are acting as if the world's about to end. We had an impromptu discussion via our group chat (because we're close like that) about how they could cram a month's worth of revision into 2 days. Needless to say, they may have left it a little too late on that one, but I admire their sudden motivation anyway. It may be terrible to say, but their lack of studying makes me feel a lot better about my half-@ssed attempt at.

However, I'm feeling a little smug about finishing my second history textbook today. I told myself I'd do that AND complete my maths as well, but apparently when I want to blog, I blog. Guess it'll be another late night maths session for me! ...Huh. It's worrying how easily I accepted that as my evening activity. Although, for someone with more textbooks than friends at the moment, it's not overly surprising either.

In an earlier wave of procrastination, I wrote out my exam timetable because- and this just proves that my brain will jump on anything to avoid studying- "it's not aesthetic enough". Seriously?

Anyway, if anyone would like to use it as a template, I've attached it. Or at least... I think I have. Honestly, I love living with my grandparents and all that, but the worst problem I have is figuring out how to use technology. We only had 4 channels on TV until like 2012, and we only got WiFi a couple years back. Before that, my grandma thought it was some type of clothing line. Attaching things to blog posts? Now that's my hamartia. Forget GYG, it should be GYATAUTWTFHHYNFTOY- grow your ability to actually use technology, what the f-, how have you not figured this out yet.

Right, I'm getting off track. I was also wondering, what's the most effective way to take in information. Like, scientifically? Wait a sec, google's a thing. Ah, glorious technology.

Okay, I'm back. This site (Ay, I'm learning already... It should be hyperlinked) said you should think about thinking about what you're learning. Which, to be honest, seems like a lot of thinking. And effort. Metacognition, it's called. It seems like a useful article for note taking, so there you go. Another gift.

Aaand yet another- I've really got to stop writing now; this maths isn't going to revise itself. But I am going to think about thinking about revising it. Hope my brain doesn't get too fried.

-honeyofcourse

(here's a cat photo this time. his name is trigger)

20171031_203317.jpg
1 Jan 2018!!! pinch, punch
Happy New Year?

It's a bit weird to exclusively wish people happiness on holidays. Like, I get the tradition, but surely you could wish someone a nice day, or year, at any point, and not just because a date marks it? It's not even as though a lot changes at new year. You're still the same person as yesterday. People go crazy trying to get everything to be perfect because "oh my god, the planet's circled back to where it was 365 days ago", and in the end something inevitably bad happens, wrecking all the plans and making them feel terrible. It just doesn't make sense! The idea of resolutions isn't so bad though. I'm all about self-betterment, believe me, but I don't expect myself- or anyone- to completely get through a resolution. The effort's nice through. Speaking of, if anyone actually cares, I have a new year's resolutions blog on here: "young fry of treachery". Yep, another annoyingly stupid name.

In other news: I barely revised today. I did a couple of rounds of Spanish vocab cards on quizlet- actually I'm lying, I got through one round, and then like 2 more cards while in the line at Tescos. To be honest, it was a lot of cards- about 100? I'm kidding myself if I think I'll remember them all. I did manage to download the quizlet app on my phone though (which is a minor miracle with my lack of storage), with the intention of getting through a few more hours of revision. But as soon as I got back from shopping, I stared blankly at the wall and then watched the 73 questions interview Vogue did with Daisy Ridley. Sure, it made me smile at the time, but at that point my body was locked in a cycle of procrastination while every thought in my head was just a chorus of "you... should... be... revising...". So, naturally, I completely ignored that. I feel terrible now.

Back to school tomorrow. Wish me luck.

-honeyofcourse

(on some other threads, people have asked how i revise history. so, to make up for my disgusting lack of work today, here are some i made earlier. mind maps are amazing for cause/consequence- my walls are plastered with 'em)

20171231_215547.jpg
3 Jan 2018 hola

Argh. I had my Spanish Oral mock today. It didn't go brilliantly well, but it wasn't disastrous either- seeing as it was my first proper speaking test under exam conditions, I think I did okay. Unfortunately a couple of questions just merged together into a random arrangement of noises so I had to skip 'em, but on the other hand I managed to get a variety of tenses in, despite completely forgetting how to speak in Spanish and English. It felt like centuries before I got out of that room though. It wasn't helped by the fact it was tiny and the walls were covered in white tiles. Like, what was that about?! Does it double as a torture chamber?? Although, since it hosts the Oral exams, it kind of is one.

I have my English language exam and my French writing tomorrow. I may just want to chop my hand off after so much writing, but I guess we'll see!
-honeyofcourse
Watching :wink:

Also, your OP is awesome - that contradiction and explanation was amazing :biggrin:
Original post by J_O_K_E_R
Watching :wink:

Also, your OP is awesome - that contradiction and explanation was amazing :biggrin:

awh, thanks! haha, it's easier to explain one of my crazy ideas if i explain the opposite side first i guess :biggrin: glad you liked it!!:crown: if you're interested, i also have a new years resolution blog called "young fry of treachery" (another weird title oops) and a lot of the other blogs on that forum are really good too!!
Original post by honeyofcourse
awh, thanks! haha, it's easier to explain one of my crazy ideas if i explain the opposite side first i guess :biggrin: glad you liked it!!:crown: if you're interested, i also have a new years resolution blog called "young fry of treachery" (another weird title oops) and a lot of the other blogs on that forum are really good too!!

Yeah, I'll go check it out! :biggrin:
4 Jan 2018 holla

Well, 3 exams down! Only 14 to go. :hmpf:

English language mock/ EDEXCEL: This one went much worse than I expected, and I get annoyed at myself just thinking about it. Section A- the reading comprehension bit- went perfectly well, except a possible lack of content on the 6 marker. Section B (the writing) was a different story. The 2 prompts were either "a day where everything went wrong" or "a difficult journey". I took the first. Honestly, I've never had trouble writing from a prompt before, but today I panicked and completely blanked. I wrote possibly the worst thing I could've- a 'meta' story about a guy not knowing what to write in an exam. Wtf. :facepalm:Maybe a different person could have pulled it off, but in my shattered mental state I definitely couldn't and didn't. As soon as I finished the exam, I bumped into my english teacher and I felt so ashamed that I told him everything. Worst thing was, instead of any kind of encouragement I was hoping for, he just kinda shook his head at me in disappointment- and he'd literally told me the day before that I could get full marks for writing. Oh well... At least I can learn from this next time?

French writing/ AQA: This one I was pleasantly surprised with! Evidently I had taken in more while revising than I'd imagined I had. I managed to get down every tense I knew, including the subjunctive! The writing subjects were pretty easy, except no-one knew what "rapports (avec ta famille)" meant. When we googled it after the exam, it came up as 'intercourse' and we all got really freaked out by the incest-y undertones. Then we realised that it meant 'relationships'. Ha. The translation was also ridiculously easy; I finished 20 minutes early, after checking it over 3 times and filling the whole space. It's really stressful when you finish early- everywhere you look feels as if it makes you look like you're cheating. The invigilators were circling us like sharks, it throws me off so much smh. Also, there were 2 half-French year 9 kids sitting the exam with us. They're hands-down going to do better than all of us. Oops. :france:

4 Jan 2018 holy

I'm absolutely effing shattered. No clue how I'm going to survive the whole of next week when I've barely scraped through 2 and a half days this week! There's way too much thinking involved with this exam malarkey. Unfortunately, I have also discovered that I greatly underestimated the difficulty of these tests- but I'm giving it my best shot. I hope. :burnout:

RS 1 (Islam and Christianity- Beliefs, teachings and practices)/ AQA: Eh. It wasn't awful. The worst moment in the test was just over halfway in- I was very confused as to why everyone was still writing, and why I had so much time left, and upon inspecting my papers more thoroughly I discovered that there was, in fact, a second half to the paper. I silently mouthed "f*ck" to myself before looking up to check the teachers didn't think I was mouthing to someone to cheat, but no. Instead, one of them was laughing at my stupidity. Although I can't say I blamed her. Lots of people did the same thing though- one girl only realised when we had 20 minutes left. Ouch. Also, one of the essay questions (we get 4) I didn't read properly: "Discuss the opinion: The Bible is the best source of knowledge for Christians about God's creation." Uh, yeah. It might've turned out better if I had included anything about creation- oops.
As well as this, we got a question on a topic we haven't even done yet; christian charities and NGOs that work overseas. Luckily, because I want to be an aid worker, I read up on them in my spare time anyway, so I could actually answer it. Can't say the same for the rest of my class though. Overall though, I flew through the (non-essay) parts of the test. If anyone's wondering what I used to revise key terms and quotes, it was the
quizlet app. It looks like this when you create a card set:

Screenshot_20180105-195408.png

Excuse my drastically short battery life. The "learn" option is definitely the best, as it tailors the repetition to the terms you get wrong the most, and how you best remember them.

Maths (non-calculator)/ EDEXCEL: At the risk of sounding like the almost-16, but definitely 15 year old white girl I am; I can't even. Or, at least, I couldn't even in this test. It was disgustingly difficult. I know I took a good stab at it though, so I'm hoping I'll pick up marks for my completely nonsensical workings out. Although everyone else seemed to agree that that was possibly the worst maths test we've been made to do (ever), so I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be low enough for me to jump for a 7.

On a more positive note- I get a rest tonight; there's no cramming to do! Yay! I was seriously considering sleeping at 7, but I already napped in the school library earlier. Yeah, did I mention that I'm exhausted yet?! :sleep:

-honeyofcourse

(attached some revision notes/ practice i did. enjoy)

Attachment not found
Absolutely love your posts, and yes, the title did catch me!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the updates :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Absolutely love your posts, and yes, the title did catch me!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the updates :smile:

awh, thanks very much! :biggrin:
6 Jan 2018 lesson learnt

It's been one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been apocalyptically disastrous, but I haven't managed to get anything productive done. I say productive, because I have actually managed to rewatch most of 2017's Apprentice. That is technically an achievement. Just not a useful one.

I was convinced that I was going to use the weekend to my advantage by revising throughout and magically cram for every single lesson- especially science (like I said before, science is not a favourite of mine). However, I have learnt a very important lesson today: everyone needs a bit of self-care. From the moment I woke up this morning I knew that my body would do everything physically possible to avoid studying, and even if somehow I forced myself to, there's no way anything would go in. Which is sh*tty, but sometimes that's how it goes. My body just has a limit of so much stress and exams and cramming, and it needs a recharge- again, I'm no superhero. I can't magically pluck 10 9s from the air with no work, but I can't just run for 2 months on exam-anxiety fuelled motivation. Rest is important. So, however frustrating it is that I'm not that magical being, it's also kind of a blessing. At points I so lose myself to the notes and essays and flashcards- and yes, to TSR forums- that I forget to do really stupid, essential things like brush my teeth, wash, eat! That sh*t is important. Without it, I wouldn't begin to be able to get the grades I want.

So, yeah, today was a rest day. Here was my breaking point:
20180106_190403.jpg

[I'll explain- my family write notes when we shower because we're weird and we don't have an 'occupied' sign or whatever. Also, we have a lot of ducks (which is great 'cause they're my favourite animal) so we tear up a loaf of bread to chuck over for them, which is 'doing the duck bread'. And 'HF' stands for Happy Feet... It's my gran's favourite film, so it's how we sign off texts and notes. Like I said, weird.]

The thing I feel the worst about today is the fact that I moved my mum's court-ordered fortnightly visit to next week specifically so I can revise. Argh. (For those who are completely confused by this, I'm not surprised, most people are; my family situation makes little sense. I'll explain it another time)

But, the main lesson from today: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. REST. While I may not have learnt anything in terms of pumped-into-our-brains-in-real-life-this-won't-be-necessary facts, I did learn that. Although it won't help me pass my mocks. Ha.

-honeyofcourse
(edited 6 years ago)
7 Jan 2018 cram i do it?

Okay, I'll admit, I practically committed a crime by making that pun my title. I apologise if you want to exact revenge on me.

But- those punishments aside (geddit?)- today has gone oddly well. In the sense that, yeah, maybe I didn't manage to cram 2 years worth of physics equations into my head (and to be honest I didn't even try), but I DID make a big-@ss timeline. Whoop.

20180107_195830.jpg

Don't worry, it'll definitely get bigger. (That's what he said... Oh no, I've stooped so low.) Once I'd shared a fleeting snap of it on my story, everyone wanted the close up notes- it was almost as if I had friends for a sec there! Joking, but it was weird that people I'd never even spoken to in my 5 years at school came crawling out of the depths as if they had staked some ancient claim to my revision notes. Now would be the time where, in a perfect world, I'd go "but I stood up to the popular people and fake friends and made them do their own revision". Unfortunately I'm a bit too much of a wuss for that. Or maybe I'm... nice? Ugh, what a horrible thought.

So, I did that, and some notes on Hitler becoming chancellor which I'll attach (thanks to this YouTube vid). Unfortunately it was also one of those days where my grandparents really get on my nerves- it was as if they thought I was laying around my room doing nothing, instead of making my big-@ss timeline. At one point I brought it downstairs just to show them I was working on something. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Look at this timeline I've been making. Look. Timeline. Me. I've been making it. Upstairs. With my brain. TIMELINE.
Gran: Yeah whatever that's nice, but have you been doing any revision?
Me: ...
Me: Do I look like I make timelines for fun woman?!

At some points it's like she doesn't even realise that I don't want to be doing this any more than she doesn't want me to. She'll get annoyed when I can't take the dog out for an hour's walk or go to the shops- I want to do those things, but I'm also really bad at time management so I've ended up with a sky-high tower of textbooks to trawl through and cry over. It's unnerving how used to finding tear stains on my pages I am. She doesn't believe that it's actual work to revise- as in, effort. While I agree it's amazing that I put effort into anything, it shouldn't be that hard to grasp. I'm not learning about Tudor taxes because I want to! At this point, I know more about Tudor taxes than taxes nowadays... That shows just how great our system is smh.

Anyhow, I have the worst day of exams tomorrow- history, physics (which I haven't even touched a book for) and spanish writing. Wish me luck. I expect cake at my funeral. :bricks:

-honeyofcourse

(also attached are some highlights from my insta story)
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

trig.jpg
trig.jpg
trig.jpg
8 Jan 2018 send help

Three exams today. A whole day's worth. UGhhhh my head feels like it's been set on fire.

History (germany/warfare)/ EDEXCEL: For this one, the cramming definitely paid off. It was pretty easy tbh, the most difficult part was how to write out the answers to get the most marks rather than the content itself.

Physics/ OCR: This one I did absolute minimal revision for- I learnt the equations with the help of quizlet at 2am. However, a small miracle occurred and the test was pretty much 1. easy and 2. based on the equations I had learnt. Like, there are a few marks I've definitely dropped, but other than that... I mean, one of the choice answers on the 'transformers' section was Optimus Prime- pretty sure that question wasn't sent by OCR.

Spanish writing/ AQA: Funnily enough, going into this I thought this would be far easier than French. It wasn't. But it wasn't difficult either- just a few translation words I had to substitute (e.g. office= 'building where I work') and some I think I've put in French. Other than that- it didn't take a lot of brainpower.

So, luckily for me, the day I deemed 'the worst', wasn't. And now it's over, thank god.
English literature (on Macbeth, whoop) and Spanish listening and reading tomorrow.
-honeyofcourse
12 Jan 2018 fin

Okay, so I had a slight break due to exam exhaustion. Now I have 8 of them to catch you up on. F*ck.

Tuesday

Spanish listening and reading/ AQA: Not horrible, but I did arrive 10 minutes late because of traffic- whoops! Luckily they'd literally just started the recording when I got in. The listening was more difficult than the reading, for sure. Plus, the teacher's phone went off in the middle of it, wtf! We're all supposed to turn them off smh. :dry:

English literature/ EDEXCEL: I physically couldn't write enough in the time we had (1 hour). I had enough knowledge, context, quotes... But my hand would not write fast enough. Plus, we were given a pretty sh*tty extract to analyse, although I made it work. :wink2: My theme essay was a little waffle-y but I managed to get a couple solid points in. I hope.

Wednesday

RS 2 (thematic studies)/ AQA: Again- there wasn't enough time! We were given 4 themes to choose out of 7, I think, and I didn't realise we were supposed to choose the 4 specific themes we've actually done. You'd think that's pretty obvious, but apparently not to my exam-crazed brain. Anyway, it didn't matter too much because 1. I'd already taught myself most of the book, including the topics we haven't done (because I'm a politically motivated nerd like that) and 2. my teacher didn't care about marking a different topic, so I didn't have to re-do it. Phew. :woo:

Biology/ AQA: Ehhh. Well, thanks to some 2am cramming, I made it through. Tbh, it was ridiculously easy for a mock- no challenge compared to the others. Actually, all the science exams were easy enough with a little cramming- I think our school science department likes to overcomplicate a lot of things. Oh well, made the exams easier.

History (cold war/ henry VIII)/ EDEXCEL: It went surprisingly well! I'd been dreading flopping this one, because it's the one I've done the most revision on and I didn't want to blank, but luckily I didn't. My only 'major' mistake was writing a little about the Berlin Ultimatum for the narrative of the Berlin Blockade. Thank god one of the question options was about the Prague Spring, which I'm quite good at if I do say so myself. :yeah:

Thursday

Chemistry: That's it. That's all I had, all day. Which was kinda annoying, seeing how little I care for the subject; the day just seemed like a massive waste of time, it was pointless. It started with cramming for the first few hours... Well, other people cramming and me giving up after 10 minutes and switching to french. Miraculously, that 10 minutes got me through the exam, which, like the other sciences, was easy. Unfortunately, that gives my chemistry teacher the ammunition to repeat "I'll make a chemist out of you yet" for the next 4 months. Dear lord. :sigh:

Today

French listening and reading/ AQA: Good! French is one of my desired A-level subjects, so I really wanted to do well- and the endless vocab tests payed off. It really wasn't too bad! There were only a couple of ridiculously hard questions on the reading, but even they were guessable. The listening was easier than the Spanish was, which I was not expecting. Generally, Spanish everything is easier. I don't know if it's down to the actual exam board or my increasing French practice (and stale Spanish knowledge).

Maths (calc.)/ EDEXCEL: Well, it wasn't dissimilar to the last exam, in that it was painfully difficult. But we managed to figure out that a lot of the questions in the non-calculator had been given to us in past papers we've gone over already, and it was the same for the calculator- so let's just say there'll be a strange spike in marks for this second paper. They really need to stop reusing questions. The other questions though... Ugh. The room actually started swaying halfway through, because I was focusing to much on the page. Ha.

Fin. I have a French speaking on Tuesday (at 9am!! :ahhhhh:) but other than that- all done! Thank jesus, mary and that carpenter guy.

-honeyofcourse

In between exams, we were allowed to utilise empty classrooms. So, naturally, I taught a couple lessons. Here's the outcome:

20180109_151525.jpg

Attachment not found

Attachment not found
15 Jan 2018 read the damn question

Well, the moral of today's blog is exactly what the title says.

I got some of my papers back. It wasn't awful at first; for History I got 90% overall, which is great. For my first RS paper I got 88%, the top mark in the class. I was ecstatic, especially since there was a question I was especially afraid of messing up in that particular paper, due to not reading the question. So, yeah, that was all great. My day was going brilliantly.

And then I got my english language paper back.

Now, I'm trying to be modest here, but I'm generally good at english- essay subjects are my strength, and it's not that difficult for me to bluff my way through a 2000 word despite not having a clue what's going on. However, it seems, as my teacher nicely put it, I "had a very off day here". Smh. I'd got 40 out of fricking 40 in the second section of the test. Then I turned to the front section, and all my hopes and dreams were shattered. Okay, I'm definitely being over-dramatic, but I dropped half the marks available. Because I didn't read the damn questions- AGAIN! :argh:

It's all my fault, I know, and afterwards my teacher told me that it was just a too-complacent attitude or something. The first question, I didn't add structure (a rookie mistake, I'm ashamed) although "the actual essay writing was flawless" (he was just trying to cheer me up I think). The second, I didn't realise that I was supposed to be writing about the character's changing emotions, rather than just her feelings in general. Some people would want to slap me right now, because tbh the overall mark (with the 100% from section 2) wasn't terrible- I got 77%, one mark off an 8. But, for someone indicated straight 9s in essay subjects- it hit hard. Everyone was expecting me to get the best grade in the class etc., but I flopped so much that I just ended up ignoring anyone who asked what I got. For a perfectionist, overachiever... It's hard to admit when I've made a stupid mistake like that. I can take constructive criticism about my structure, my content, even my spelling if I'm in a good mood, but stupid mistakes to me are like the equivalent of going to scrub the sink with bleach but forgetting you have no gloves on until it starts to burn. Weird metaphor.

Turning away from that before I write a bloody dissertation on my mistakes- I have a French speaking test tomorrow! Which, ordinarily, I'd grudgingly accept. But mine is at 9 in the bloody morning. Pray for me guys. I've also attached some revision notes I made for it.

-honeyofcourse

20180114_161531.jpg
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

trig.jpg
20 Jan 2018 backstage

Before I try to convince you- and myself- that I've been productive today, I'll catch you up on my French speaking.

French Speaking/ AQA: The worst part was the nerves. The best part was the language. Yep, you read that right. I panicked while writing stuff for the photocard and roleplay (seriously, the allotted 12 minutes feels like 2 seconds), so I used the wrong form to address my teacher (because I didn't read the question properly... Can you spot a pattern here?). Also, I was hardcore panicking. My hands were shaking, for christ's sake! Now, if you think I was completely overreacting... You're completely right, so did I. But I couldn't stop my body exhibiting physical symptoms even though my brain wasn't that flustered. Halfway through the conversation, I clicked with the language and managed to recite some pretty impressive stuff (for me- it's not like I magically became fluent). The only 2 things I didn't pick up on were that my teacher asked me "since when have you been studying french?" rather than if I liked it, and at the end she snuck in a surprise question on easter that wasn't on our revision list, just to see if I could handle it. Evidently not... I hope she doesn't mark me down for that.

Anyway, back to today. I decided, as a rest (and because I don't want to start "official GCSE revision" just yet) that I would do some writing practice. It wasn't that bad, I wrote a... thing, like an informal essay/ story/ kinda-like-a-blog-post about aging from this prompt site (it's really good), which I'll attach if anyone is bored or crazy enough to want to read it. I also wrote a poem in Shakespearean sonnet form, which technically isn't a GCSE skill, but it's fun anyway. It turned out... strange- understandable in some ways, but mainly just dark and confusing. I'll attach that too, good luck making any sense from it (it's called "Backstage" btw).

21 Jan 2018 disappear

More unproductiveness! Yay! I mean, I finished my Spanish homework, showered, did a couple more writing prompt thingys and planned out stuff for my 2nd careers meeting at school. So, altogether not too bad, but there's nothing exciting to catch you up on school-wise.

Therefore I'll just leave you with my careers mindmap and my prompt writings.

-honeyofcourse

20180121_195029.jpg
how have I just found this gyg?!
I’m loving it so far, omg your history woahhh
also noticed that lil perestroika flash card in one of your photos...are you doing the Cold War too? (And which other topics?!)
Et le français...me too! I am one of the few people I know who actually likes french lol but it’s great even if my lessons are *cough* bad *cough*
being a relief worker sounds cool, I wish I knew what to do with my life in the future:biggrin:
Good luck with year 11, we're gonna survive this:tongue:
Original post by Toastiekid
how have I just found this gyg?!
I’m loving it so far, omg your history woahhh
also noticed that lil perestroika flash card in one of your photos...are you doing the Cold War too? (And which other topics?!)
Et le français...me too! I am one of the few people I know who actually likes french lol but it’s great even if my lessons are *cough* bad *cough*
being a relief worker sounds cool, I wish I knew what to do with my life in the future:biggrin:
Good luck with year 11, we're gonna survive this:tongue:

ha, thanks, it's a hidden gem! :wink2: yeah, for history we're doing cold war, henry viii and his ministers, warfare through time (which is brutAL) and weimar and nazi era germany. do you think there's too much content to get through for this year? that's the complaint i get most about history (and tbf, i agree). et bien sur, le français est ma matière préférée! wow, i 100% butchered that. i can understand why other people don't like languages, but french is great- i love the challenge! why are the lessons bad- is it your teacher? because i've had my fair share of naff french teachers, let me tell you! i'm sure you'll smash it though.
don't stress too much about the future, it's never set in stone- just keep doing what you like doing and i'm sure you'll figure out what you wanna do. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending