The Student Room Group

I was given a single benefit payment of £3000. Will I now be asked to repay my loan?

SLC want an update on my income, and when I looked at my bank statement, I got a bit worried.

I don’t have a job, and I am not making £21000 a year. However, a couple of months ago, I received a payment of £3000 (this was a back payment of five months of PIP disability benefits), which is above the monthly threshold of what you are allowed to earn before repaying your student loan. I’m not earning too much money. I’m earning it inconsistently, and I’m worried that I'm going to be asked to repay it. Will they?
Income and a one off payment, I believe, are viewed as different things. They don't consider savings or anything. Also, if you have a job, payments come out of that made by your employer as an income tax, so as you're unemployed, they can't take it. Don't worry.

Original post by aliasnogli
SLC want an update on my income, and when I looked at my bank statement, I got a bit worried.

I don’t have a job, and I am not making £21000 a year. However, a couple of months ago, I received a payment of £3000 (this was a back payment of five months of PIP disability benefits), which is above the monthly threshold of what you are allowed to earn before repaying your student loan. I’m not earning too much money. I’m earning it inconsistently, and I’m worried that I'm going to be asked to repay it. Will they?
Original post by aliasnogli

No. PIP isn't counted as income at all for repayments of SLC loans.
Reply 3
OK. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending