The Student Room Group

Work experience enquiry email help?

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to enquire about a possible work experience placement on the (Date) whether one week or two depending on what you may have available.

I am a year 10 student at (School) currently seeking a placement in veterinary nursing or dentistry as I have a profound interest in this field of work.

I would be extremely grateful if you were to offer me a placement at your business as I feel it would help me greatly in the future. I understand that the hours would not be the same as my schools and I shall follow your set rules and procedures as I am a polite and punctual character.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing back from you,

Yours faithfully,
(Name)

It's too short, but i have no idea on what to add/ is there anything i can improve on?
Original post by chloeehg
To whom it may concern,

I am writing to enquire about a possible work experience placement on the (Date) whether one week or two depending on what you may have available.

I am a year 10 student at (School) currently seeking a placement in veterinary nursing or dentistry as I have a profound interest in this field of work.

I would be extremely grateful if you were to offer me a placement at your business as I feel it would help me greatly in the future. I understand that the hours would not be the same as my schools and I shall follow your set rules and procedures as I am a polite and punctual character.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing back from you,

Yours faithfully,
(Name)

It's too short, but i have no idea on what to add/ is there anything i can improve on?

Honestly, it reads a little stuffy. Things like 'I shall' and explicitly discussing your character are very odd-sounding for someone of year 10 age. I would really recommend that you read your letter aloud and consider whether these are things you would ever say. Being formal is one thing, but taking on an unusual language is another altogether.

'To whom it may concern' is old-fashioned and impersonal. You should always, always try to find out the name of the person you should be asking, even if that means you need to phone up and enquire. The more you personalise your letter, the better. Be sure to name their business and explain why exactly you want experience there. They are much more willing to give their time to someone who has researched them a little and isn't just sending out mass generic letters.

I would also recommend that you ask for a placement in one area only, as you can't be 'profoundly interested' in two areas. It may also be worth adding that you would be grateful for even a day or two of shadowing if they were unable to offer you a week or two weeks. Many places simply can't facilitate this, and some experience is always better than none.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending