The Student Room Group

anxiety about living at university!

I have anxiety and depression and I feel like living at university could make my anxiety worse! The uni I want to go is a 30 minute drive and I can drive so it would be possible for me to live at home but then I feel like I am missing out on the uni experience. I am torn between living at home and missing out or living at uni and being extremely anxious! I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by 5grhfe
I have anxiety and depression and I feel like living at university could make my anxiety worse! The uni I want to go is a 30 minute drive and I can drive so it would be possible for me to live at home but then I feel like I am missing out on the uni experience. I am torn between living at home and missing out or living at uni and being extremely anxious! I don't know what to do :frown:

You could always give it a go for first year then see how you feel, it's tricky but if you needed to you could get out of your accommodation contract early if it came to that.
Original post by 5grhfe

Second what @claireestelle says!

Are there any specific triggers you have for you anxiety, depression? Perhaps I could relieve your fears if they're borne of a misconception about Uni?

Additionally--most Unis have support services that would help you with said anxiety and depression!
Original post by 5grhfe
This is a debate that lots of students go through, so you're not alone.:heart: I'm a first year currently living in halls, please ask me any questions (doesn't matter how trivial or "stupid") you may have about uni halls if it will help put your mind at rest.:smile:
Original post by 5grhfe

I would personally say that you should give it a go. Living with other university students and life in the halls makes for a major part of the university experience. You do not want to regret this later. If you let your flatmates know about your anxiety and depression they will ensure that nothing around you triggers or makes anything worse for you. You never know you might be able to ease your condition experiencing living on your own, becoming more independent and breaking out of your comfort zone. Worst case scenario, should you not like it come back home, find a replacement for your room and you should be able to get out of your contract, legally. But honestly do give it a shot, it might just be the best decision you make. Good luck, hope you have the best of the university experience. Should you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending