The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Ross Enfield
The Department for Education (DfE) are introducing a part time maintenance loan (PTML) for eligible part time undergraduate students who are commencing a new part time course from academic year 2018/19. This loan will be available in addition to the existing tuition fee loan and disabled students allowance.

Is this applicable to all Part-time students?

Specifically including those who study with an alternative provider with Course Designation in 2018-19 in a qualifying STEM/Healthcare course?
How does my previous study affect part time tuition fees?
Hi. I have a HND in Business and Finance which is over 20 years old. I want to become a teacher so I need a degree but my HND is too old to top up, so I need to start again. I know if I study full time I will have to fund the first year myself. If I study for a BA on a part time course will they fund all my fees as I hold a lower qualification? Thanks.
I started my law degree in 2010, unfortunately I started my second year but dropped out half way through twice due to personal circumstances. I would now like to go back and finish my degree, but would I have to start the whole thing over again? And in regards to funding how would that work? Would I have to pay? And if so under the new fee system of 9grand or the old? Would I recieve the maintenance payments etc. Any advice would be much appreciated, or a body of who I should contact? I don’t have 9000 spare at all so if that was the case how would part time studying work are you still entilted to help?
Reply 4
I am studying through the Open University. I completed the first law module working towards a bachelor of laws (Honours) part time, funded by my sfe student loan but had to defer for reasons beyond my control. I received a discretionary fee discount through OU that i can use towards starting back next October but i'm going to change to Bsc (Honours) Psychology and have discontinued the law pathway as psychology fits better for my chosen career path. I have to start with the first Psychology module because i couldn't carry the law module over that i have just completed prior to deferring. Can i just apply in October 2018 for funding to top up the fee discount towards the first module of Psychology or will there be an issue because sfe have already funded a first module? Sorry my question is long winded.
Reply 5
What is the maximum you can have on a part-time maintenance loan? And, are you entitled to any other benefits eg housing, if you cannot find a job that fits around uni?
I am applying to start in Sept and these questions are causing quite a lot of worry! [should add I have no dependants or disabilities, and am only studying part-time as per the rules for second student loans for STEM subjects otherwise would much rather study full-time]
Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SPTI
Is this applicable to all Part-time students?

Specifically including those who study with an alternative provider with Course Designation in 2018-19 in a qualifying STEM/Healthcare course?

There are certain eligibility criteria the student must meet in order to be accepted for a Part Time Maintenance Loan. To be eligible, students must be commencing a new part time course that begins on or after 1 August 2018. This includes part time distance learning courses. If a student already holds a qualification of an equivalent level, they will not be eligible for funding unless their new course is a STEM course.

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan:

Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
Integrated Masters Degree
Graduate Diploma
Graduate Certificate
Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
Healthcare Courses (Level 4, 5 ,6 and Integrated Masters Degrees)

Any other qualifications with the exception of those listed above will not be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan during academic year 2018/19. Students studying a different undergraduate qualification can still receive a part time Tuition Fee Loan and Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) support where applicable.
Original post by MatureStudent72
How does my previous study affect part time tuition fees?
Hi. I have a HND in Business and Finance which is over 20 years old. I want to become a teacher so I need a degree but my HND is too old to top up, so I need to start again. I know if I study full time I will have to fund the first year myself. If I study for a BA on a part time course will they fund all my fees as I hold a lower qualification? Thanks.

Hi,

If your previous course was 2 years in length, then if you choose to study a full time course, you would not be eligible to receive a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year. You would however, be eligible to receive a Tuition Fee Loan in all future years providing there are no further repeats.

If you choose to study part time, you would be eligible to receive the Tuition Fee Loan for the duration of the course, providing that the qualification was of a higher level than the HND you previously obtained.
Original post by Raqueldacosta89
I started my law degree in 2010, unfortunately I started my second year but dropped out half way through twice due to personal circumstances. I would now like to go back and finish my degree, but would I have to start the whole thing over again? And in regards to funding how would that work? Would I have to pay? And if so under the new fee system of 9grand or the old? Would I recieve the maintenance payments etc. Any advice would be much appreciated, or a body of who I should contact? I don’t have 9000 spare at all so if that was the case how would part time studying work are you still entilted to help?

Hi,

From reading your post, it would appear that you have undertaken three years of previous study. Therefore, if you were to commence a new full time course, you would need to self fund the first two years of the fees yourself. You would be classed as a new student and therefore, would be liable to be charged the increased rate of fees from your university/college. You would however, still be eligible to receive a Maintenance Loan for all years of this course.

If you were to study a degree on a part time basis, we would not consider any full time previous study where no qualification was gained and therefore, would be eligible to receive the Tuition Fee Loan for the duration of your course. As of the 2018/19 academic year, part time courses leading to a Bachelor Degree, attract a Maintenance Loan and therefore, you could also apply for this, if applicable.

Should you have any further queries relating to your application or entitlement, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support Centre on 0300 100 0607
Original post by Marcus68
I am studying through the Open University. I completed the first law module working towards a bachelor of laws (Honours) part time, funded by my sfe student loan but had to defer for reasons beyond my control. I received a discretionary fee discount through OU that i can use towards starting back next October but i'm going to change to Bsc (Honours) Psychology and have discontinued the law pathway as psychology fits better for my chosen career path. I have to start with the first Psychology module because i couldn't carry the law module over that i have just completed prior to deferring. Can i just apply in October 2018 for funding to top up the fee discount towards the first module of Psychology or will there be an issue because sfe have already funded a first module? Sorry my question is long winded.

Hi,

From your post, I cannot see any reason why you would not be able to apply for student finance for the 2018/19 academic year to cover the remainder of the fee charge.

Depending on the gap in your study and whether the OU will class you as being a new or continuing student, this will determine whether you would need to apply on a PTL1 form as a new student or a PTLC form as a continuing student.

Should you have any further queries relating to your application or entitlement please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support Centre on 0300 100 0607.
Original post by Jo_M
What is the maximum you can have on a part-time maintenance loan? And, are you entitled to any other benefits eg housing, if you cannot find a job that fits around uni?
I am applying to start in Sept and these questions are causing quite a lot of worry! [should add I have no dependants or disabilities, and am only studying part-time as per the rules for second student loans for STEM subjects otherwise would much rather study full-time]
Thanks

Hi,

A students entitlement will be determined by 3 things:

Where they are living/studying - (Parental Home / London / Outside of London / Overseas
Household income
Intensity of study

44% of the Maintenance Loan is non-income assessed whilst the remaining 56% is income assessed. The maximum loan someone can receive whilst living in their parental home is £7,324. The maximum loan someone can receive whilst living in London is £11,354. The maximum loan someone can receive whilst living outside of London is £8,700.

I am unable to offer any advice in relation to how this would affect benefits and would recommend you speak with them directly to gain further information regarding this.

In order to gain more accurate figures, I would recommend that you contact our Customer Support Centre on 0300 100 0607 to discuss your circumstances, such as where you will be living whilst you are in study and the level of intensity of your course. We will then be able to refer to our guidance and provide more specific figures.
Reply 11
Many thanks to Lee and everyone who got involved in today's first live webchat. Head over to our calendar to see what else is on today and the rest of Student Money Week.

Latest

Trending

Trending