The Student Room Group

Changing a physics course

Hello,
I originally applied at the University of Edinburgh for Mathematical Physics. I had a changed of heart and asked to apply for Astrophysics instead, and my application was then changed accordingly. But I realize now that Theoretical Physics is more suitable for me (especially for what I said in my personal statement, although I did express interest for astrophysics/astronomy as well). My question is: Does changing a physics course really matter at this stage since it's still an application for the School of Physics? Would it be better to change now or once I get an offer (if I get one of course)?

Note: I'm not applying with typical A-levels (I already have my grades for that, also I'm french so it'd be my french baccalaureate grades). I'm in first year mathematics at the University of Manchester, hoping to transfer to a physics course at another university.
Original post by Kaliban
Hello,
I originally applied at the University of Edinburgh for Mathematical Physics. I had a changed of heart and asked to apply for Astrophysics instead, and my application was then changed accordingly. But I realize now that Theoretical Physics is more suitable for me (especially for what I said in my personal statement, although I did express interest for astrophysics/astronomy as well). My question is: Does changing a physics course really matter at this stage since it's still an application for the School of Physics? Would it be better to change now or once I get an offer (if I get one of course)?

Note: I'm not applying with typical A-levels (I already have my grades for that, also I'm french so it'd be my french baccalaureate grades). I'm in first year mathematics at the University of Manchester, hoping to transfer to a physics course at another university.

Have a look at the difference in modules between the two degrees, it could be that the first year is the same in each therefore making it easier to switch later on
You can always fire off an email to the department of physics or the application team there, but most Unis I know that switching tracks between the different types of physics is allowed until your second year--if the first year modules between them all are the same.
Reply 3
Original post by Kaliban
Hello,

Hello,
I am also considering a transfer form Manchester maths & physics to Edinburgh. Why did you decide to do it? Was it worth it?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending