The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fofomorse
Hey Ilaria, we were asked to write one as part of the application phase. It was a critique of a chapter from some journal. This is mphil in education, globalization and international development, though.

Hey :smile:
thanks for the answer,
I understand, so it was before submitting your application.
I was asked so when I had already submitted my appication!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Happy to have found this!!

Program: MPhil Multi-Disciplinary Gender Studies
Applied: December 1st
Offer: February 8th
College: Hughes Hall (1st choice for funding - also a big fan of it being all mature students)
Funding: Gates (international, so haven't heard anything yet) and Cambridge Trust

Like everyone else, am particularly anxious about funding at this point and trying to not get too excited until things are more figured out on that front. I'm doing a Master's degree right now so can't really justify doing another without considerable funding. :frown: Best of luck to everyone!
Hi everyone,

Program: MPhil English: Criticism and Culture
Applied: January 2nd
Offer: January 29th (?)
College: St John's (accepted 15th Feb)

I was accepted at St John's college last week (my second choice college after I was rejected by King's). Has anybody had any contact from their college yet? They say they'll write but I haven't received an email and I'm wondering whether they send you anything in the post.

Also, I don't suppose anyone has heard about college or university funding?

Cheers
Hello everyone,

Program: MPhil in English: Criticism and Culture
Applied: Jan 2nd
Offer: Feb 2nd
College: King's (Feb 15th)

I was also wondering about university funding? As I understand it, people are largely told around March, but the website says decisions can come as late as July?! Any further information would be appreciated!
Hi and congrats to all those who got their offers!
I was wondering if any of you had any idea about department rankings? Are all offer-holders considered for funding? Or does the department only nominate a few people for funding consideration? How many people do Departments usually nominate? I know that Departmental nominations are the prerequisite for Gates, but what about the Cambridge Trusts?

My details:
Program: One of the PhD programs from the School of Clinical Medicine
Applied: Dec 6th
Offer: Jan 12th
College: Newnham (Jan 16th)
Funding: Feeling pretty pessimistic about this. When I asked, my department informed me that I won't be one of their nominations for Gates, and that my rank is somewhere near the middle :frown:
Original post by fundmeplz
Hi and congrats to all those who got their offers!
I was wondering if any of you had any idea about department rankings? Are all offer-holders considered for funding? Or does the department only nominate a few people for funding consideration? How many people do Departments usually nominate? I know that Departmental nominations are the prerequisite for Gates, but what about the Cambridge Trusts?

My details:
Program: One of the PhD programs from the School of Clinical Medicine
Applied: Dec 6th
Offer: Jan 12th
College: Newnham (Jan 16th)
Funding: Feeling pretty pessimistic about this. When I asked, my department informed me that I won't be one of their nominations for Gates, and that my rank is somewhere near the middle :frown:

:frown: I have no idea, i'm in the same position as you, only I didn't ask. Who did you ask? the director of the department?

Don't worry, don't get discouraged yet. As far as I know, the department nominates some people for funding :frown:
Original post by carlagalvan
:frown: I have no idea, i'm in the same position as you, only I didn't ask. Who did you ask? the director of the department?

Don't worry, don't get discouraged yet. As far as I know, the department nominates some people for funding :frown:

I just directly asked my prospective supervisor whom I've been in contact with for a while now. Depending on your relationship with yours, you can consider doing the same. Fingers crossed for us!
Original post by gabrielflynn
Hi everyone,

Program: MPhil English: Criticism and Culture
Applied: January 2nd
Offer: January 29th (?)
College: St John's (accepted 15th Feb)

I was accepted at St John's college last week (my second choice college after I was rejected by King's). Has anybody had any contact from their college yet? They say they'll write but I haven't received an email and I'm wondering whether they send you anything in the post.

Also, I don't suppose anyone has heard about college or university funding?

Cheers

Hi! I got St. John's as well! It took around 4 or 5 days to actually get my email from them with the college requirements etc!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi all, I have a question concerning funding. I've read here, and on the Official Cambridge 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread, that some of you know for which funding opportunities you have been nominated. Did your department inform you about this when you got the conditional offer, or, did you contact them to ask about it? Or, ... Thanks.
Original post by Howyesno
Hi all, I have a question concerning funding. I've read here, and on the Official Cambridge 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread, that some of you know for which funding opportunities you have been nominated. Did your department inform you about this when you got the conditional offer, or, did you contact them to ask about it? Or, ... Thanks.

I think these are all PhD students, right?
I think these are all PhD students, right?

I'm not sure, but I forgot to mention that I'm a PhD offer holder.
Original post by fundmeplz
I just directly asked my prospective supervisor whom I've been in contact with for a while now. Depending on your relationship with yours, you can consider doing the same. Fingers crossed for us!

:frown: I asked yesterday and was informed I am not one of their nominations for Gates either fksdjhfbksdjfbsdjbf. I am now hoping on the Cambridge Trusts :frown:
Quick question - is everyone who has been allocated a supervisor PhD, or any MPhils as well?
Reply 73
Original post by geekchloe
Quick question - is everyone who has been allocated a supervisor PhD, or any MPhils as well?

No word on my supervisor yet (MPhil). I think ours takes a little longer.
Hey folks, got my college today.. So mine's looking like this:
Program: MPhil Education (Globalisation and International Development)
Applied: December 6th (3 minutes after the funding deadline. Had issues with the payment. Hope they don't disqualify me for funding)
Offer: Feb 1st
College: Magdalene (accepted 21st Feb)

Like many here I'm stressing about funding. Super amped that I got Madgalene, as I am South African, so funding wise it's a good catch. I asked the department about whether I was put forward for gates or internal funding and the person literally said "Unfortunately, we cannot disclose who has been put forward for funding. It’s a case of waiting to see, I’m afraid!".
Soooooooo, kinda super excited.
I got an email from Anna Fox this morning informing me I won't be considered for AHRC/Cambridge Trusts funding (for MPhil in English). I've emailed back to ask whether this also rules out college funding. Will post an update when I hear back. Has anyone else heard?

Update: I've just had another email to say I will still be considered for college funding, so don't lose hope if you get the same email.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got an email from Anna Fox this morning informing me I won't be considered for AHRC/Cambridge Trusts funding (for MPhil in English). I've emailed back to ask whether this also rules out college funding. Will post an update when I hear back. Has anyone else heard?

Update: I've just had another email to say I will still be considered for college funding, so don't lose hope if you get the same email.

I've just received the same email (also MPhil in English) - fingers crossed for collegiate funding!
Reply 77
Original post by kimpatel
I've just received the same email (also MPhil in English) - fingers crossed for collegiate funding!

Ehhhh this scares me! I haven’t received that email yet, but I’m worried I will. 😬
Original post by geekchloe

I didn't receive a formal offer yet and still at GAO stage, but a degree committee administrator has informed me about my supervisor via email.
Reply 79

Hi! I'm also a prospective English MPhil student at St. John's (American Lit), and I received the same email today, unfortunately. Fingers crossed St. John's is feeling generous.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending