The Student Room Group

Long distance.

Both myself and my partner started university in September, 61 miles apart. We’ve been together for just over 9 months now, and until the past two/three weeks we’ve not been the same. We struggle to communicate and bicker a lot, after speaking about it, he feels it’s mostly my fault, but I feel it’s shared.

Can anyone else relate?
I just need some advice I guess.
Original post by Anonymous
Both myself and my partner started university in September, 61 miles apart. We’ve been together for just over 9 months now, and until the past two/three weeks we’ve not been the same. We struggle to communicate and bicker a lot, after speaking about it, he feels it’s mostly my fault, but I feel it’s shared.

Can anyone else relate?
I just need some advice I guess.

Should have had a good talk and agreed a plan before you started. many couples split before uni. Not many relationships survive.

There comes a point where hes thinking about himself rather than as a team and making it work. Imo most stress is where people dont adapt and try to have a normal relationship in spite of 61 miles and not being together. 61 miles inst even far.

You can start to resent that you arent free to engage with others because yu have the responsibility for someone who isnt there.

Communication and trust is important. Talk to each other and if you cant then it will just be undermined. Make a plan and if you dont both contribute then imo leave it and find someone at uni. Most relationships dont last, just dont waste too much time flogging a dead horse.

If he isnt listening or wont accept you have any points, then the relationship is already unbalanced. You can make it work if BOTH of you want to and make the effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending