The Student Room Group

Can a female Muslim join the army?

I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Scroll to see replies

It is possible for you to join the army. Speak to your local careers advise for the army to see if you are eligible to join. There are reactions if you haven't lived in the UK for so many years or wasn't born in the UK. There are roles what woman can't do in the Royal Navy the only role at the moment that woman can't do is being in the Royal Marines Commando. Find the the joining requirements and restrictions and have a read of them.
The army has just embarked on a campaign to recruit more people into the militiary from diverse backgrounds, muslims in particular.

You would be welcomed with open arms most probably, good luck. :smile:
don't think it's a good idea, be a nurse or something
neither of those things should ever stop you doing something you wanted. UK law doesn't stop you, dunno about Islam

Let's not make this another debate about religion or it's going straight to the religion section.

Yes you can join the Army as a Muslim but you'll have to put your job above your prayers and the hijab might have to be removed under certain circumstances.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It is possible for you to join the army. Speak to your local careers advise for the army to see if you are eligible to join. There are reactions if you haven't lived in the UK for so many years or wasn't born in the UK. There are roles what woman can't do in the Royal Navy the only role at the moment that woman can't do is being in the Royal Marines Commando. Find the the joining requirements and restrictions and have a read of them.

Okay, I was born in the uk. Thank you for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Yes, you can.

Joining at 16 is possible, but you'll need your parents' permission.

Joining at 18 or later is entirely your decision.

Look at the Army's careers site (and, indeed, the sites for the other forces) and see what appeals to you, or visit a careers office in your nearest big town.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sani882

Forgot to add: in the meantime, try joining a cadet unit. Whichever one is closest to you, whether army cadets, air cadets, or sea cadets. Best way to have a look at the forces, see what you like, see if it works for you, and then get help joining if you decide to do so.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel

Let's not make this another debate about religion or it's going straight to the religion section.

Yes you can join the Army as a Muslim but you'll have to put your job above your prayers and the hijab might have to be removed under certain circumstances.

its funny you always talk about hijab ive seen your posts elsewhere. just because you are studying more about islam doesnt mean you have the right to dictate what women have to wear.
Reply 10

I was sensing that a debate might arise with a thread title like this :lol:
But wasn't the religion section removed? I can't see in 'Debate and current affairs'...
its funny you always talk about hijab ive seen your posts elsewhere. just because you are studying more about islam doesnt mean you have the right to dictate what women have to wear.

I think you've misunderstood my post. Soldiers in the army have to follow a strict dress code and under certain circumstances the hijab will have to be removed as a matter of policy, same for the turban or any other religious head dress.

I hope that clears it up :smile:

Original post by k.n.h.
I was sensing that a debate might arise with a thread title like this But wasn't the religion section removed? I can't see in 'Debate and current affairs'...
It's still there https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Er... No, they mean that in certain circumstances uniform requirements mean that a hijab isn't compatible.
Dayto day its not an issue, but being in the armed forces means occasionally operational requirements take precedent.
Reply 13

He isn't 'dictating' anybody, he's just making a suggestion of when she might need to take it off - and it's a perfectly fine one at that, there are times when removing any religious garment is mandatory. This also isn't an issue about 'controlling what women wear': we're just regarding her as a single person, independent her gender, and a male enquiring whether he can wear his turban in the Army would most likely be advised in the same way. Stop dramatizing.

(And get off anon)
(edited 6 years ago)

I saw an army advert based around the army being an employer that lets people pray as much as they need to
Reply 15
Yes you can.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I saw an army advert based around the army being an employer that lets people pray as much as they need to

yes but that advert was on exercise i.e not real war
Original post by orderofthelotus
neither of those things should ever stop you doing something you wanted. UK law doesn't stop you, dunno about Islam

lol saw what you did there with "dunno about islam" lol
Original post by shohaib712
lol saw what you did there with "dunno about islam" lol

don't bait me out :mmm:
Original post by SuperHuman98

Great idea when you're being shot at ..

Latest