The Student Room Group

Uproar about new CancerResearchUK posters

Scroll to see replies

When the link between smoking and cancer was established, did the smokers complain about "smoker-shaming"? Not that I know of. So why does it have to be different now? Being fat is (mostly*) a choice. And there is a huge difference between genuine fat-shaming and merely stating a statistic.

That said, most fat people probably already know it isn't good for their health. Perhaps the money for the billboards could have been better spent, but that's not my call to make.

* Of course there are metabolic conditions, but these are rare and if you have one, an increased risk of cancer is probably the least of your concerns.
Original post by Andrew97
A charity called cancer research shouldn’t be helping decide priorities for cancer research. Right.

No. An organisation like NICE or ICR should. Charities are only accountable to their trustees.
Original post by simon_g
"(..)
Cancer Research UK is a research and awareness charity based out of the United Kingdom. It also happens to be the world’s largest independent cancer charity and conducts research into the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the disease. In other words, you can trust these people to be experts on all things cancer.(..)"

https://squawker.org/culture-wars/fatcancer/

warning- graphic photos.

what are your thoughts about it?

It's the truth.

The more cells you have in your body, the greater the risk of cancer in general.

Having lots of fat also affects hormones in a bad way
Of all the things to moan about, people are in uproar about this? Really?

Unless you genuinely have an overactive thyroid, metabolism problem or other medical reason for being overweight, there's no right for you to be offended. Obesity is responsible for loads of problems (the main one being heart disease) to name a few. Didn't bother reading the article, admittedly, but I don't think it's a legit reason to boycott or get offended at a campaign.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending