The Student Room Group

Parallel parking on a bend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizzie Study123
I think all the tests should be recorded and reviewed to see if it was conducted fairly and equally across all learners. We are paying £62 per test. (That's 7-8 hours on minimum wage.) My first test was so much easier and I would have passed if I never sped when going down the hill and focusing on the satnav. I was nervous but I understand that speeding is NEVER acceptable. ((I agree that I wasn't as ready as I was on my second test.)) My driving instructor was in the car on both occasions. She agreed with me that it was a nasty second test. (She doesn't want to get involved too much because she has lots of students taking tests there with that guy and he never passes anyone. It's wrong!)Nobody in their right mind would do that in real life and I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. I even scraped the kerb on my first test and it never got marked down as a minor or anything!!!! The second test I drove very safe and never cot caught out by his obvious ticks even turning right at that horrible staggered junction I did perfectly. I don't want to sound petty but a reverse parallel park on that road was crazy, you had to have been there. A normal person would have just pulled in not purposely stop traffic at a busy time with aggressive parents wanting to get to school or work. He even wanted me to do it within one car length!!!!! Watch any parallel park tutorial on the .gov website it says within two. I have been driving for months and lots of hours (Sometimes 16-24h/week). I spent almost all my savings. I have been having lessons since February. Who parks perfectly straight on a bend that is on a 40 road without going on the kerb??? The car he told me to park 'behind/in front' ((Up for debate)) wasn't even on the road fully and that is a FULL license holder. ((I suspect it's his car, sorry I'm so angry he did that on purpose it wasn't an ADI introduction test and that is what my driving instructor said it was similar to and it's not fair I never asked to take an ADI test I am applying for a standard and typical license)Also, I would like to note that he removed all my instructors dash cams etc... My first examiner didn't!!!! He probably didn't want to be seen treating someone like that. If I wasn't ready I understand that but putting me in a dangerous situation to further 'test' me I think is unfair to other candidates that do reverse parallel park on a 20 road and pull in in safe roads. I'm going to a different test centre. I have a feeling it's a scam. If I pass the first-time I will further investigate this with a solicitor because that was very heinous indeed.

I would also like to add that he gave me a serious for checking my blind spot when changing busy lanes!!!!!!!!
Original post by doodle_333
how could they standardise the test? the whole point is you need to be able to cope with all normal road conditions, which those were... my first solo drive after passing I had to emergency brake to avoid being tboned after a driver sped through a red light on the road I was joining (trees make it blind) at 50+, that's not fair and no one should need to but if you can't handle those situations alone you can't be on the road

Can I also say how patronising this sounds? You don't know how I drive you have never even met me. I live in one of the most populated cities in the UK. Full of crazy nutters doing 70 in built-up areas I know how scary it can be. I have emergency braked a few times myself all of which wasn't my fault. I think watching a 30-45 minute video to see if the test was conducted fairly should be encouraged because, neither myself nor my driving instructor has any authority. He removed all dash cams and my instructor says he is the only one that does it. (They were not recording but doesn't that say something? Before replying please don't assume I'm being petty or bias I only asked if doing a reverse parallel park in those road conditions and parking straight on a bend on a 40 road was acceptable testing procedures. That's all. I didn't need you to pretty much call me an ignorant little snot rag because I won't have it!
(edited 4 years ago)
I think all the tests should be recorded and reviewed to see if it was conducted fairly and equally across all learners. We are paying £62 per test. (That's 7-8 hours on minimum wage.) My first test was so much easier and I would have passed if I never sped when going down the hill and focusing on the satnav. I was nervous but I understand that speeding is NEVER acceptable. ((I agree that I wasn't as ready as I was on my second test.)) My driving instructor was in the car on both occasions. She agreed with me that it was a nasty second test. (She doesn't want to get involved too much because she has lots of students taking tests there with that guy and he never passes anyone. It's wrong!)Nobody in their right mind would do that in real life and I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. I even scraped the kerb on my first test and it never got marked down as a minor or anything!!!! The second test I drove very safe and never cot caught out by his obvious ticks even turning right at that horrible staggered junction I did perfectly. I don't want to sound petty but a reverse parallel park on that road was crazy, you had to have been there. A normal person would have just pulled in not purposely stop traffic at a busy time with aggressive parents wanting to get to school or work. He even wanted me to do it within one car length!!!!! Watch any parallel park tutorial on the .gov website it says within two. I have been driving for months and lots of hours (Sometimes 16-24h/week). I spent almost all my savings. I have been having lessons since February. Who parks perfectly straight on a bend that is on a 40 road without going on the kerb??? The car he told me to park 'behind/in front' ((Up for debate)) wasn't even on the road fully and that is a FULL license holder. ((I suspect it's his car, sorry I'm so angry he did that on purpose it wasn't an ADI introduction test and that is what my driving instructor said it was similar to and it's not fair I never asked to take an ADI test I am applying for a standard and typical license)Also, I would like to note that he removed all my instructors dash cams etc... My first examiner didn't!!!! He probably didn't want to be seen treating someone like that. If I wasn't ready I understand that but putting me in a dangerous situation to further 'test' me I think is unfair to other candidates that do reverse parallel park on a 20 road and pull in in safe roads. I'm going to a different test centre. I have a feeling it's a scam. If I pass the first-time I will further investigate this with a solicitor because that was very heinous indeed.

There is a certain amount of luck in the driving test.

But what I will say, is that if I had taken the exact same driving test as your 2nd one, there's a 97% chance that I would have passed. Because I have enough driving experience and can safely and briskly reverse or parallel park any car in any space it will fit in.

Hitting the kerbs when parking may sound like a trivial thing, but it is actually slightly dangerous, due to the possible damage to the tyre. I've actually broken a tyre when clipping a kerb at parking speed.

You can't blame your failure to park on the red car parked on the kerb. When driving, the mistakes of others is no excuse for you making a mistake yourself.

So yes it was fair that you were asked to park in that place. The examiner could have parked there safely. I would have parked there safely. Any competent, experienced driver would.

I failed my test 4 times before passing on the 5th attempt. Looking back on it now, those failed tests helped me to become a better driver in the long term.

Passing the test is the tip of the iceberg in your driving costs. Your first year's insurance premium, for example, will be huge.
Can I also say how patronising this sounds? You don't know how I drive you have never even met me. I live in one of the most populated cities in the UK. Full of crazy nutters doing 70 in built-up areas I know how scary it can be. I have emergency braked a few times myself all of which wasn't my fault. I think watching a 30-45 minute video to see if the test was conducted fairly should be encouraged because, neither myself nor my driving instructor has any authority. He removed all dash cams and my instructor says he is the only one that does it. (They were not recording but doesn't that say something? Before replying please don't assume I'm being petty or bias I only asked if doing a reverse parallel park in those road conditions and parking straight on a bend on a 40 road was acceptable testing procedures. That's all. I didn't need you to pretty much call me an ignorant little snot rag because I won't have it!

I literally didn't say that and wasn't insulting in the slightest. If you live in a busy city of course doing those things in busy conditions will be normal. They can't review 40 mins of footage from every failed test (bc 99% who failed would ask) as that's an insane amount... the extra work would probably treble the cost and waiting time for tests, if not more. You're better off just practicing the things you found hard and trying again, may be not at 8.30am when there's school run mums everywhere (they drive like maniacs).
Original post by doodle_333
I literally didn't say that and wasn't insulting in the slightest. If you live in a busy city of course doing those things in busy conditions will be normal. They can't review 40 mins of footage from every failed test (bc 99% who failed would ask) as that's an insane amount... the extra work would probably treble the cost and waiting time for tests, if not more. You're better off just practicing the things you found hard and trying again, may be not at 8.30am when there's school run mums everywhere (they drive like maniacs).

I suppose I am just a little hurt because the first test did feel a lot easier than the second. I worked 7-8 hours on minimum wage to get that £62 and for that to be so difficult compared to the first one made me shocked and angry. That test took 30-45minutes, it wouldn't take long to watch a recorded clip even if they doubled the speed of the footage. It would make sure that the tests are all equal in terms of conditions and standards of testing. I understand that in life driving isn't that simple but also in real life I wouldn't have parked in them crazy places I would have found a safe and legal place. Thanks for bothering to reply not many people do. I hope I pass next time. Xxx
I suppose I am just a little hurt because the first test did feel a lot easier than the second. I worked 7-8 hours on minimum wage to get that £62 and for that to be so difficult compared to the first one made me shocked and angry. That test took 30-45minutes, it wouldn't take long to watch a recorded clip even if they doubled the speed of the footage. It would make sure that the tests are all equal in terms of conditions and standards of testing. I understand that in life driving isn't that simple but also in real life I wouldn't have parked in them crazy places I would have found a safe and legal place. Thanks for bothering to reply not many people do. I hope I pass next time. Xxx

I can understand that! It must be a frustrating feeling... some people probably do get lucky and get an easy test and pass when they didn't deserve it but ultimately I think very few fail when they deserved to pass! Try and think that it's just making you a better, safer driver by making you think about these tricky conditions. I hate parallel parking and would choose to drive elsewhere and park in a bay and walk given the choice but I have been in situations where I didn't have the option! I'm not sure what you think watching a video would do... it would only remove examiner bias which is a really small part of failure and 99% of fails incl yours it's fair to fail the person... you can't look back and say 'yes that was dangerous but it was tough conditions' as that's not how driving works! The one thing I think you should focus on is the fact you'll likely pass next time if you felt this was the only negative for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending