The Student Room Group

Why do my parents hate me?

For as long as I can remember my parents have always criticised me and have tried to control my life. They wanted me to do Law and even tried to hack in to my UCAS form once to make sure I was applying for Law. I didn't apply to Law but went for a BMus because that was my true passion. They never stopped being angry at that, saying I was chucking my life away.

I lived at home for most of my degree and they made my life hell for 3 years. I had a boyfriend during my first year but could hardly ever see him because of my parents. My parents would spy on my phone calls from outside my room. Then, they would burst into my room, demanding to know who I was talking to and wanting to see my phone.

Then, my boyfriend cheated on me. The stress I had from my parents as well as the cheating caused me to have a mental breakdown. I had to interrupt a year of my degree because of this.

After I graduated, I had enough. I moved out of my parents' house and got two jobs in order to be able to afford rent. My parents were really angry when they found out and said that they will never give me any money now.

I see my parents only on Eid when the whole extended family gathers at their house. My parents simply greet me and then ignore me for the whole day. The only time they ever call me is for an arranged marriage to a wealthy guy they know.

Why do my parents hate me? I never did anything wrong but they hate me so much for some reason. My mum sent back the Mother's Day gift I got her with a note, saying "don't bother." Why do they not want to love me?
We can't tell you I'm afraid.
I don’t know, but I’m sorry that your parents are like this 💚
Seems as though they care too much about money. Evidence in the wealthy guy and them trying to get you to do law.
Whilst it is natural to want your parents to be happy, I think that you need to accept that you can't always please them. You have to know your own mind and follow the path that you want to take, even if that means your parents are unhappy. Your parents still love you but they may not agree with your choices, but it is your life - you choose the things that will satisfy you.
Original post by Lastone123
For as long as I can remember my parents have always criticised me and have tried to control my life. They wanted me to do Law and even tried to hack in to my UCAS form once to make sure I was applying for Law. I didn't apply to Law but went for a BMus because that was my true passion. They never stopped being angry at that, saying I was chucking my life away.

I lived at home for most of my degree and they made my life hell for 3 years. I had a boyfriend during my first year but could hardly ever see him because of my parents. My parents would spy on my phone calls from outside my room. Then, they would burst into my room, demanding to know who I was talking to and wanting to see my phone.

Then, my boyfriend cheated on me. The stress I had from my parents as well as the cheating caused me to have a mental breakdown. I had to interrupt a year of my degree because of this.

After I graduated, I had enough. I moved out of my parents' house and got two jobs in order to be able to afford rent. My parents were really angry when they found out and said that they will never give me any money now.

I see my parents only on Eid when the whole extended family gathers at their house. My parents simply greet me and then ignore me for the whole day. The only time they ever call me is for an arranged marriage to a wealthy guy they know.

Why do my parents hate me? I never did anything wrong but they hate me so much for some reason. My mum sent back the Mother's Day gift I got her with a note, saying "don't bother." Why do they not want to love me?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this and feel your frustration on this. I cannot understand why your parents would want to control you and hack into your UCAS to change your course that you want to study. From what I can see, the reason why your parents wanted you to study Law was due to wealth reasons, as that sector does tend to be well paid - and the arranged marriage confirms this. Also, you should not have to be forced to marry someone that you don't want to; it is your life and if you want to marry someone else, you should be allowed to.

I don't know why your parents hate you for making your own choices in life, but given what you've said, moving out was likely the best choice and will overall result in a better and happier life than being controlled by your parents all the time. I'd say focus on the people that do care about you and do like you, not the people who don't care and/or hate you for trivial things.
Reply 6
Check out this forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/raisedbynarcissists/

It's the only explanation I can think of, your parents caring more about status and external appearance than they do about you and your feelings. It's not your fault, and you shouldn't feel as if it's due to an inadequacy on your behalf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending