The Student Room Group

what's the point of moving out for uni if it's not that fun?

One of the key reasons I want to move out is to experience a very different lifestyle than the one I currently live. If it's not crazy or fun... then what's the point? Also don't say that the main reason to move out is to get a good degree because I can do that whilst commuting as I live in London and there are plenty of good unis here.
Original post by justanotherchica
One of the key reasons I want to move out is to experience a very different lifestyle than the one I currently live. If it's not crazy or fun... then what's the point? Also don't say that the main reason to move out is to get a good degree because I can do that whilst commuting as I live in London and there are plenty of good unis here.

You will have a different lifestyle, don't worry.
Reply 2

It is what you make it. If you want crazy then chances are you can find it, but it won't automatically happen.

Honestly, the life experience.
You will learn so much about independence and looking after yourself, its kind of crazy how sheltered most of us are whilst living at home. It may be a struggle to start with but soon enough you get into the swing of things. The freedom is so nice, and whilst it may allow you to do silly things to start with, you start to place yourself sensible boundaries and make better decisions. I was quite worried about moving out up until the day I moved in. Within a few days I was loving uni life, my flat was like a little family and everything fell into place.

The change of lifestyle will probably be huge but I found it a very good and refreshing change.
University living is really what you make of it. To some extent, getting a bad bunch of flatmates in your first year can ruin it, but if you get out enough, get involved with societies etc it should be easy to find new flatmates for the next year.

Really all down to you and what you deem to be "crazy" fun.

Independence?
Heya justanotherchica,

As someone who moved around 150 miles from home to a completely new city with loads of people I didn’t know, it was the biggest lifestyle change I could have imagined for myself. I have since become more confident and more independent, as well as having loads more opportunities for myself that I wouldn’t have had living at home. Living in halls or a shared student house allows you to build yourself those friends with people that make you feel more connected to the place that you’re living in, as well as providing you with people to hang out with, whether that be going to see a movie, going to pubs or clubs, or just a fun night in.

In my opinion, living away from home is just great life experience in general, as it teaches you to be independent and responsible, you learn to budget your money, manage your time wisely and it helps to ease you into adult life. It also allows you to live in and explore a totally new place if you want to.

Life away from home can be as crazy or chilled out as you want it to be, you make it however you want it because you’re in charge!

Good luck,
Harriet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending