The Student Room Group

Camp America - worried I might be too shy

Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some advice from people who've done Camp America before. I've been placed and I'm heading out to camp on the 15th of June. I'm starting to worry now that it's getting closer.

My main concern is that I'm not outgoing enough. I'm naturally quite a quiet person and I've noticed that most people who do camp america are sort of loud outgoing people. I've been watching a lot of camp videos and reading about people's experiences and I've realised that skits/singing/dancing etc. are a big part of camp. I'm always up for trying new things and I'm fine talking to new people but being the centre of attention and singing and dancing isn't really my thing. I'm super nervous about it.

Some reassurance would be much appreciated!
Original post by Klutzz
Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some advice from people who've done Camp America before. I've been placed and I'm heading out to camp on the 15th of June. I'm starting to worry now that it's getting closer.

My main concern is that I'm not outgoing enough. I'm naturally quite a quiet person and I've noticed that most people who do camp america are sort of loud outgoing people. I've been watching a lot of camp videos and reading about people's experiences and I've realised that skits/singing/dancing etc. are a big part of camp. I'm always up for trying new things and I'm fine talking to new people but being the centre of attention and singing and dancing isn't really my thing. I'm super nervous about it.

Some reassurance would be much appreciated!

Hey there! I've been to camp for 5 years and have made friends from all around the world. Many of my friends I made at camp were naturally considered very shy, and they still had an amazing time at camp - if anything, it brought them out of their shell a lot and gave them a new found confidence they never knew they had! Singing camp songs etc is a big part of camp, but remember you'll be singing these with your campers and lots of other counsellors! Camp is all about stepping outside your comfort zone. It gave me confidence, leadership skills and so much more. I wouldn't worry at all - camp is for everyone and definitely not just for people who are loud and outgoing! Let me know if you have any questions - Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest