The Student Room Group

So I think my life is ruined

Hello,

So I have always had my sights set on Oxford or Cambridge, preferably Oxford. I'm at every talk they do, I go to an oxnet course that they're running in the northeast and I'm at the point where i think (rather stupidly but its just me) that if i go anywhere less i will have failed and settled for less.

So I was at a talk yesterday and found out that Oxford took nobody that had under 6A*s at GCSE. I was unmotivated at GCSE and received 2A*s, 7As and B. I really feel like I have no hope, and that my GCSE's are really letting me down. I understand I could apply for Cambridge as they focus on them less but their % of A*s are really still extortionate.

Someone give me some straight up advice. Maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Thanks ...
Reply 1
Original post by Kercmaher
Hello,

So I have always had my sights set on Oxford or Cambridge, preferably Oxford. I'm at every talk they do, I go to an oxnet course that they're running in the northeast and I'm at the point where i think (rather stupidly but its just me) that if i go anywhere less i will have failed and settled for less.

So I was at a talk yesterday and found out that Oxford took nobody that had under 6A*s at GCSE. I was unmotivated at GCSE and received 2A*s, 7As and B. I really feel like I have no hope, and that my GCSE's are really letting me down. I understand I could apply for Cambridge as they focus on them less but their % of A*s are really still extortionate.

Someone give me some straight up advice. Maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Thanks ...

What course are you looking to take?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
What course are you looking to take?

Medicine, I know...shock. sorry forgot to say.
Reply 3
There are a couple of things which might affect how Oxbridge view your GCSEs. Firstly, what course are you thinking of applying for? I'm afraid that if you're applying for medicine, your chances are probably a lot lower than they would be for most other courses, particularly at Oxford. Secondly, what was your school like? Oxbridge view your GCSE grades contextually, meaning that your particular grades will serve you much better if you went to a school where the average results are low than if you went to one where it's common for several students a year to get 11 A*s.

It's also worth considering that your GCSE grades are used as a measure of how likely you are to achieve your predicted grades at A level, meaning that if you were to take a gap year and apply after you've done your A levels (or reapply after A levels if you apply this year and don't get in), you might find yourself in a stronger position.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kercmaher
Medicine, I know...shock. sorry forgot to say.

If you search for threads on here I think there was some useful information about GCSEs and Oxbridge admissions - perhaps best to look through all the medical application threads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending