The Student Room Group

Second degree Psychology Degree

Hello. I was wondering if Psychology or preferably Social/Organisational Psychology at degree level is one of the student finance approved subjects for getting funding for a second degree (part time studying distance learning probably). I am reading various things on the internet and one university Arden University says that Psychology is (although I would prefer social psychology). Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Occeypsytb
Hello. I was wondering if Psychology or preferably Social/Organisational Psychology at degree level is one of the student finance approved subjects for getting funding for a second degree (part time studying distance learning probably). I am reading various things on the internet and one university Arden University says that Psychology is (although I would prefer social psychology). Thank you

Hi Occeypsytb,

Students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses and they all have their own code.

To see if your course is eligible for support for a second part-time degree, check the course code.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G).

The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

If the course JACS code begins with any letter other than (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G) it does not qualify as a part time ELQ exception.

If your course has multiple JACS codes all of them have to start with one of the above letters for the course to qualify as an ELQ exception.

Regards Rona
Reply 2
Hello Rona,

The code on the Open University is Q83 but Arden University say that you can get funding for second time degree students for their psychology degree. Can't find the code online for theirs though. Thanks
Hello Rona,

The code on the Open University is Q83 but Arden University say that you can get funding for second time degree students for their psychology degree. Can't find the code online for theirs though. Thanks

Hi Occeypsytb,

I have checked on our database, Arden University have not listed any designated courses as yet, for 2018/19, you need to speak to them.

If the course JACS code begins with any letter other than (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G) it does not qualify as a part time ELQ exception. If a course has multiple JACS codes all of them have to start with one of the above letters for the course to qualify as an ELQ exception.

Regards Rona
Reply 4
Hi Rona,

thank you for your quick responses. Here is a link to the course which says apply by the end of tomorrow! https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps its code is UCAS C802.

PS Does it make a difference to funding if you study distance learning part time?

Thanks
Hi Rona,

thank you for your quick responses. Here is a link to the course which says apply by the end of tomorrow! https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps its code is UCAS C802.

PS Does it make a difference to funding if you study distance learning part time?

Thanks

Hi Occeypsytb,

It would not make a difference to your funding as distance learning is classed as part time support.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 6
The code with Arden University Psychology degree starts with a C but the same course with the Open University starts with a Q and therefore probably wouldn't come under the student finance ELQ? is that right? or is it worth applying to my preferred Uni the Open University.

and secondly, why are the same type of courses have codes which means only one can be eligible for student loans?

Thanks
The code with Arden University Psychology degree starts with a C but the same course with the Open University starts with a Q and therefore probably wouldn't come under the student finance ELQ? is that right? or is it worth applying to my preferred Uni the Open University.

and secondly, why are the same type of courses have codes which means only one can be eligible for student loans?

Thanks

Hi Occeypsytb,

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed. To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G). The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

The course needs to start with one of these letters to be funded as a second part-time degree.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending