The Student Room Group

Low Iron

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't have a job so I can't

Then you’ll have to wait and eat a high iron diet in the mean time. You can get iron tablets over the counter but they are pretty weak.
Look, you can either make an appointment, be it an emergency one or a routine one, or keep listing excuses on here as to why you won't do it. There is no alternative advice we can give.
Reply 42
Yeah but you need to book them at certain times and speak to a doctor before you can get an appointment at my place and knowing those idiots I won't get an appointment

You have to talk to a doctor before you can get an appointment with one? Wouldn't that be a phone consultation?
Original post by MR1999
You have to talk to a doctor before you can get an appointment with one? Wouldn't that be a phone consultation?

Yeah
Original post by Jasmine Topaz
I'm so pale from having low iron, how do I fix this and get colour back?

If you are pale from low iron the only way to actually fix it is to get more iron. That will either mean eating more iron (red meats and beans) or getting supplements. You can get some supplements over the counter, but they are quite weak and will not help of you have any significant lack of iron so it's best to talk to your GP about supplements. They'll do a blood test to work out how much you need. If you've already had that test done then just a phone appointment should be fine- they can write a prescription to your pharmacy or for you to collect from the surgery. It can take a bit of time to get an appointment, but the only alternative is going private. Really though even waiting a couple of weeks it's no big deal.

In terms of a more immediate way to change your skin colour your only real option is things like make up or fake tan.
Original post by Kindred
If you are pale from low iron the only way to actually fix it is to get more iron. That will either mean eating more iron (red meats and beans) or getting supplements. You can get some supplements over the counter, but they are quite weak and will not help of you have any significant lack of iron so it's best to talk to your GP about supplements. They'll do a blood test to work out how much you need. If you've already had that test done then just a phone appointment should be fine- they can write a prescription to your pharmacy or for you to collect from the surgery. It can take a bit of time to get an appointment, but the only alternative is going private. Really though even waiting a couple of weeks it's no big deal.

In terms of a more immediate way to change your skin colour your only real option is things like make up or fake tan.

If I could afford to go private I would, wish I could tbqh but honestly the prices are ridiculous and I don't have a job and have 0 qualifications to get a good paid job to afford private healthcare.
If I could afford to go private I would, wish I could tbqh but honestly the prices are ridiculous and I don't have a job and have 0 qualifications to get a good paid job to afford private healthcare.

That's fine. Really the only difference is time and low iron isn't a big deal to be waiting a while with. It takes some time for the treatment to work anyway so even with private there would be waiting involved. There's really not much point in getting private healthcare except in some specific circumstances. You should be totally fine getting your iron levels or anything like that sorted on the NHS. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest