The Student Room Group

Low Iron

I'm so pale from having low iron, how do I fix this and get colour back?

Scroll to see replies

Taking supplements or eating more red meat i would imagine

Moved to Health
Original post by CoolCavy
Taking supplements or eating more red meat i would imagine

Moved to Health

I'm looking for quicker options instead of waiting for my iron to go up, it's not monitored either so I have no idea how long it will take before it's normal
I think the only real way to fix the problem is to have your iron level monitored and get the low levels treated, otherwise you could try using makeup.
Original post by Jasmine Topaz
I'm looking for quicker options instead of waiting for my iron to go up, it's not monitored either so I have no idea how long it will take before it's normal

Fake tan?
Reply 5

Iron supplements. Quite simply, there is no quick fix. Ask for it to be monitored by your GP; it can be if you are on iron tablets, I have my iron levels monitored.

Iron supplements you can buy from Boots. You mix it with orange juice and drink it daily.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Airmed
Iron supplements. Quite simply, there is no quick fix. Ask for it to be monitored by your GP; it can be if you are on iron tablets, I have my iron levels monitored.

My doctors are terrible, told me over the phone and because of that I didn't get a prescription which means I can't be monitored or have proper tablets, I just have to deal with it
Reply 8
My doctors are terrible, told me over the phone and because of that I didn't get a prescription which means I can't be monitored or have proper tablets, I just have to deal with it

Make another appointment to see them in person. Ask for iron tablets.

So have you actually had your iron levels tested and they've came back low? The GPs should treat it if so. If you start taking iron tablets then it should only take a few days to normalise your levels.

No, what you have to do is make an appointment to see them and ask them what you should do - whether you need iron supplements, whether you need to change your diet, whether there are another investigations they need to do...
I have chronically high iron, do you want some of mine?

on a serious note, although you might want to look into incorporating red meat and or beans into most meals. fortified cereals are good too but I cant have them Because they have too much iron.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by black tea
No, what you have to do is make an appointment to see them and ask them what you should do - whether you need iron supplements, whether you need to change your diet, whether there are another investigations they need to do...

I know I went through it all once before but the second time I was told to phone up for results and then the receptionist told me to explain my situation the the chemist but I knew they wouldn't give me anything other than vitamins because I didn't have a prescription, I do take some vitamins now but I know they're weak as there's been no change with the paleness. I also wasn't monitored on tablets the first time either, my doctors are really bad
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
So have you actually had your iron levels tested and they've came back low? The GPs should treat it if so. If you start taking iron tablets then it should only take a few days to normalise your levels.

I had the blood test done
Iron tablets.

You can purchase them from Holland & Barrett - they also have Vitamin C in the Iron capsules which you need for the iron to absorb properly.
everyone says iron tablets but ill be more specific: Ferrous Suphate, Ferrous Fumarate or Ferrous Gluconate as either a tablet or liquid from a legiitmate pharmacy. there are different strenghts for all but most people are usually on the lowest strength. All may have different strengths but are equivalent to each other so at the end of the day make a decision based on price

Downsides: strong metal taste & constipation (drink plenty of fluids - orange juice is good if you can tolerate it) + increase fibre.

Dietary supplements are stuff like spinach and red meat
(edited 6 years ago)
Can't get proper tablets without a prescription
Original post by Mazoorie
I have chronically high iron, do you want some of mine?

on a serious note, although you might want to look into incorporating red meat and or beans into most meals. fortified cereals are good too but I cant have them Because they have too much iron.

I know that an imbalance of anything in the body can be negative once it reaches an extreme, but out of interest what are the dangers of having too high an iron count? And how were you diagnosed? Just curious. If it's personal don't worry about it :smile:

Talk to a Pharmacist and see what they advise. However if it was a concerningly low level I'd have thought your doctor would feel the need to take action.
Unfortunately there will be no instant fix other than to use a bit of blusher! But you can increase iron in your diet and try to find some non-prescription iron tablets of the highest dose you can find. The NHS website gives good advice on dietary adjustments. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/iron-deficiency-anaemia/#things-you-can-try

Just don't go over the top as it sounds like you're not actually anaemic.

Something else you may want to think about is how heavy periods are and whether they might be contributing. Often using a form of contraception will lighten your periods and therefore reduce blood and iron loss. Talk to your doctor about this. I am surprised they've been so dismissive though!
dont take supplements, eat more red meat and veggies.
Original post by carrotstar
I know that an imbalance of anything in the body can be negative once it reaches an extreme, but out of interest what are the dangers of having too high an iron count? And how were you diagnosed? Just curious. If it's personal don't worry about it :smile:

It can cause liver cirrhosis.

Quick Reply

Latest