The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Slothuus
Is there any reason for me not to apply today? Are offers given out on a running basis like with UCAS, or are they given out after the Irish exams?

Offers come out some time around the end of August, roughly a week after the Leaving Certificate results come out. CAO deadline is 1 February.
Reply 61
roxy potter
Trinity is a decent University. Not a fantastic one and certainly not on a par with Oxford and Cambridge. Trinity is the University of Dublin not University College Dublin(which is part of the National University of Ireland) I don't consider Trinity to be significantly better than the other main Irish Universities, and I did have my pick of them when I was applying. It is more internationally known though, partly because it's the oldest University in Ireland so if it's an international career you want you might be better off with Trinity.

Trinity is not that difficult to get into, some courses are harder than others (medicine etc) but it would not be anywhere near as hard as Oxbridge to get into. No matter what rankings place it above LSE I would not believe it is better. LSE often gets shafted in rankings because it's not multi faculty.

Trinity has a really nice campus and it's in a great location right in the city centre. However as has been previously mentioned it's very expensive to live in Dublin, and it's really difficult to find accomodation that is near and affordable. Many Trinity students that I know(that don't have scholls or live in Trinity hall) pay a fortune to live not very close to the University. I don't find Dublin to be a very pleasant city.

Out of the Universities you've mentioned, I would pick St Andrews. It's really well respected and it's in a much nicer town.

Finally some sense! I love the the inflation of Trinity's reputation though!

It's fairly well-known that Biffo is absolutely hell-bent on making UCD Ireland's premier uni and is pumping money into the cause at a fierce rate. Whether he makes it work or not I'm not sure.

To be honest of all the unis in Ireland, UCC is the one I would probably recommend. Then again, I looked at it and UCD and then went to England! :cool:

Someone mentioned about UCD's campus BTW. It isn't as nice architecturally maybe as TCD, but it is far more spread out, which I liked. It's not "a concrete jungle" as such by any means.

Someone mentioned as well about UCD being in D4. True of course, but they forgot to mention TCD is D4.
Ah now, 30% at most of Trinity's students are snobs/d4's/knobs. Generally concentrated in the Arts Block. It's a great college, not on a par with Obbridge, end of.
Reply 63
30%'s a bit generous I would think. I just don't like the campus anyway. far too stuffy for me. UCD's campus "suits" me better, and there's far far more atmosphere/general rowdiness, which is always good!

It is a great university though, and not everyone there is a knob I suppose.. :p:
I find UCD people to be far more knobbish than Trinners for the most par(obviously this is a broad generalisation)

Teofilo, what college are you at?
Teofilo
30%'s a bit generous I would think. I just don't like the campus anyway. far too stuffy for me. UCD's campus "suits" me better, and there's far far more atmosphere/general rowdiness, which is always good!

It is a great university though, and not everyone there is a knob I suppose.. :p:

How can you not think the campus is beautiful! Weirdo. Excepting the Arts Block and a few of the buildings down the back. Yeah it's a bit hemmed in, occupational hazard of its location, still, a good few greens and lawns and such.
Teofilo

I actually thought the same thing at the Trinity open day when I went to it - there was a certain attitude about the place which I really wasn't comfortable with.

That said - I'm really sick of UCD at this point and just want to be finished my degree.
Reply 67
StarsAreFixed
How can you not think the campus is beautiful! Weirdo. Excepting the Arts Block and a few of the buildings down the back. Yeah it's a bit hemmed in, occupational hazard of its location, still, a good few greens and lawns and such.

Bit harsh dear! :p:

I just thought it was all a bit stuffy tbh, I'd rather a more spread out campus- the American style suits me better and there's no doubt ucd has a better very atmosphere...

what do you not like about ucd apoc? i was very close to going but wanted to be further from home tbh.

im in york btw roxy...
Reply 68
When I was looking into either going to Dublin or Manchester I put it like this. €700 a year for a uni in Dublin compared to £3000 a year in Manchester. BUT, the cost of living is so much more expensive in Dub than this part of Englnd it could almost level the money paid in uni fees.

€5.50 a pint? **** off!

Would also agree that Trinity has far more snobs but UCD has a lot of knobheads. I'd rather have the knobheads personally. Also don't seem to be a lot of people from outside Dublin at UCD, at least when I looked at it.
Jim-ie
When I was looking into either going to Dublin or Manchester I put it like this. €700 a year for a uni in Dublin compared to £3000 a year in Manchester. BUT, the cost of living is so much more expensive in Dub than this part of Englnd it could almost level the money paid in uni fees.

€5.50 a pint? **** off!

Would also agree that Trinity has far more snobs but UCD has a lot of knobheads. I'd rather have the knobheads personally. Also don't seem to be a lot of people from outside Dublin at UCD, at least when I looked at it.

€700 is a thing of the past. Most unis reg fees were approaching €900 this year and TCD's was €982 (thank you, obligatory sports hall payment). They're also set to jump up to €1500 next year, thanks to our budget.

Yes, accommodation is really expensive in Dublin BUT not as expensive as it was and if you're prepared to commute a short distance it wouldn't be too bad. You could always offset the high cost of living by getting a part-time job, minimum wage here is much higher than in the UK. Both UCD and TCD heavily subsidise cheap drink nights throughout the week. You could easily go out every night of the week and not pay more than €3.50 for a pint, and all of the establishments that do student nights, none of them are dives.
StarsAreFixed
€700 is a thing of the past. Most unis reg fees were approaching €900 this year and TCD's was €982 (thank you, obligatory sports hall payment). They're also set to jump up to €1500 next year, thanks to our budget

€1,050 registration in UCD this year due to the ego-monument new student centre that's being planned. God I hate our student union sometimes.
Reply 71
StarsAreFixed
€700 is a thing of the past. Most unis reg fees were approaching €900 this year and TCD's was €982 (thank you, obligatory sports hall payment). They're also set to jump up to €1500 next year, thanks to our budget.

Yes, accommodation is really expensive in Dublin BUT not as expensive as it was and if you're prepared to commute a short distance it wouldn't be too bad. You could always offset the high cost of living by getting a part-time job, minimum wage here is much higher than in the UK. Both UCD and TCD heavily subsidise cheap drink nights throughout the week. You could easily go out every night of the week and not pay more than €3.50 for a pint, and all of the establishments that do student nights, none of them are dives.

I didn't know that, but then again it was about 3-4 years ago I looked into it.

How much is the minimum wage in the south? In the UK its about £5.70 or something. €3.50 is still bloody expensive for a pint, here in Manchester I could go and buy a pint any night of the week for about £1 which is buttons even in euros. I dont like student places but it can be done!! :smile:

Not that its that cheap in Belfast though :mad: its almost as expensive as Dublin these days:mad:
As far as I know, it's €8.65 here.
Can I ask a question about CAO?

Do I have to send off GCSE certificates? The handbook is so freaking confusing! :mad:
Email the CAO, it's not a frantic time of the year for them, so you should get a swift reply. Are you presenting GCSE's and A-Levels? You need to provide proof you did/are doing both. The only other external thing is providing proof you're proficient in English- for non-EU students. Don't take my word for it, I only remember how easy it is for internal students. Unusual you can actually apply with GCSE's though I would think, since our equivalent of them is completely diregraded (Junior Cert).
StarsAreFixed
Email the CAO, it's not a frantic time of the year for them, so you should get a swift reply. Are you presenting GCSE's and A-Levels? You need to provide proof you did/are doing both. The only other external thing is providing proof you're proficient in English- for non-EU students. Don't take my word for it, I only remember how easy it is for internal students. Unusual you can actually apply with GCSE's though I would think, since our equivalent of them is completely diregraded (Junior Cert).

Thanks for the help! My college are useless.

Well, I have GCSE's and A Levels, but in terms of points I will just be using the 3 A Levels I am taking this year + the AS I did last year (which I assume I will be needing to send a certificate off for...)
Reply 76
Do post them your GCSE certificates (though it's no harm contacting the CAO to confirm as well). I know someone who was caught out precisely because they sent A-level certificates but not GCSE ones. They got no offer in the first round, even though they had the points. When they asked why, they found out what was wrong, sent the certificates, and eventually got an offer in a later round.
Reply 77
Btw, if it has to be Eire, than i ld consider UCC or UCD just for campus lie. Went to Triners and UCD (D4 is the worst ever area, try to find a place if u re poor....) Standards as with all colleges in Ireland are par with UK though compared to some countries on the continent rather low....
Go to UK if u re up for it
Reply 78
Why so? Here in NI, Trinity has as good a reputation as Oxbridge! People would be just as impressed if you were to tell them you got into Trinity as they would be if you told them you got in Oxford...

I go to Trinity. It's far and away the best university in Ireland, and it ranks above St Andrews, Edinburgh and LSE. It's ranked slightly below Bristol. It's called Trinity because Oxford-Cambridge-Trinity.

Just encountered this thread and as an Irish person I find it absolutely hilarious. How the hell do TCD manage to propogate this reputuation in the UK where people think it is vastly superior to the other Irish univerisities. It isn't! The cleverest students in Cork/Waterford/Limerick go to UCC, cleverest students in Donegal/the west go to UCG and dublin is split fairly evenly between UCD and TCD. Anyone Irish who tells you otherwise is lying. the vast majority of courses are below 500 points and trying to compare the average TCD student to an oxbridge student is ludicrous.For UK prestigious employers(IB/Law etc.) TCD ranks below Cambridge,Oxford,LSE,UCL,Warwick,Durham,Edinburgh and maybe even Bristol. Reality check people!
Teofilo

To be honest of all the unis in Ireland, UCC is the one I would probably recommend. Then again, I looked at it and UCD and then went to England! :cool:

Seriously? I've always thought it was kind of average, the accommodation's a lot better than Dublin, but having been to the open day, I don't think it's great, and the faculties are all over the place.
It's not the best student city either. I may be saying this because I'm from Cork and can't wait to leave, mind. Just out of curiousity, where did you go in the end?

Latest

Trending

Trending