The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There's **** all on-campus accommodation and no room/money to put it. Seriously, take a look at the campus on google maps. Back in the day it was miles from the city centre and look how hemmed in it is now.
One of the buildings on campus for accommodation is 300+ years old (The Rubrics..it's beautiful, but freezing, damp..and haunted) Therefore 3rd and 4th year students are prioritised, and those who get Schols also get it. Trinity Halls prioritises 1st year international students. It's a rip-off though.
They're planning on building more student accommodation in ballymun, which is hysterical because it's quite a bad area and not even that close...15ish minutes on a bus maybe.

Anyway, why not take a trip to Dublin around the time of the open day? See if it's worth it etc. The open day is usually 13th december-ish. If you're going to go another day, worth checking the rte.ie website just to make sure there isn't another public service strike, which shut down the college. One today, and one on the 3rd of december so far.
Reply 101
You might as well be living in a cupboard if you're living on-campus in Trinity. Absolute joke for the price you pay.

I know a girl who lives in the Pearse Street accomodation and its far better.
Teofilo
You might as well be living in a cupboard if you're living on-campus in Trinity. Absolute joke for the price you pay.

I know a girl who lives in the Pearse Street accomodation and its far better.

The Botany Bay accommodation is the best on-campus accomodation - or the GMB if you prefer to live alone, just sharing a kitchen...
ireland or uk? well, if your not after the elite universities (oxbridge :wink:) you could go after price/which's flag color you like more/throw bones etc :wink:

and: UCD is probably as good as TCD :wink:
I hope I can be of some assistance, as I have first-hand experience with what is being discussed. :smile:

1. Trinity is by far the best University in Ireland, regarding its international status, the level of teaching, the beauty of its grounds and its focused atmosphere. (Also, I have been out in every University in the Republic, and the craic is mighty in Trinners, even though it will never outshine Galway.) So if you have a choice internally in Ireland, go with TCD without a doubt.

2. Yes, TCD is brilliant, but as others have said, it's got nothing on Oxbridge. Personally, I got offers for Med from TCD and Cambridge (I hope I don't sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, but I think it's relevant), and there was zero competition - Cam all the way! I don't have first hand experience with the other UK Universities mentioned, but the league tables are a pretty reliable indication generally.

3. Living in Dublin is not as expensive as people make out! I'm on a gap year this year, living a stone's throw from TCD. My accomodation is top class and in the heart of Dublin, and I pay €135 a week. When I was looking around, I saw that there was some fairly good accomodation available for as little as €110 a week - right down to the fairly dodgy for €70 a week! And that's only single rooms that I looked at - if you're willing to share, you can find some fantastic deals! Things have changed immensly in the past few years; there are countless empty properties in lovely areas in Dublin that estate agents are dying to rent out, so defo barter! Other than accomodation, the cost of living generally is quite manageable. Yes, if we can do all our grocery shopping in Avoca, Fallon & Byrne and Donnybrook Fair, drink Cava every night (which, incidentally, is on offer now in M&S - 2 bottles for €20!) and eat out all the time we will be down over €200 a week. But, we also have Lidl and Aldi - and Moore Street for incredibly cheap fruit, veg and fish. There are promotional nights every night of the week in clubs, and I never pay more than €2 for a shot - it's cheaper to go out in Dublin than down the country! If worse comes to worst, get pissed on a botle of €5 wine before you go out! To sum it up, a friend of mine gets by on €50 a week in Dublin. It's by no means easy, but definitely doable.

I hope some of this helped, and best of luck to everyone with your applications - I was there last year, and it's the biggest pain in the arse, but it's totally worth every effort!
That's the thing, you think 135 euro a week is cheap for accomodation but for a lot of people it's not. I know people living central London for only a little bit more. When I was at Galway I paid 85euro a week for a house that was a five minute wakl from college, when I lived in the "best" student accommodation it was 100(and that was one of the most expensive in the area) In other parts of the country people pay 70 for top accommodation. Even when I was in cambridge I spent about 400pounds a month for what was one of the best rooms in my college. So relatively, Dublin is a lot more expensive. Plus the costs of simple things like a bottle of coke is much more expensive (not that you'd be buying any coke in trinity) You could enjoy a much higher standard of living somewhere else and you def will in Cambridge (I was the only one who found Cambridge compartively cheap out of all my international friends)

Also, the euro is really expensive now and that looks set to continue.

Congrats on the Cambridge offer, I hope you enjoy it!
Actually, the coke ban was gotten rid of earlier this year. The only places that banned it were the SU shop and other Su run places- the main college food places didn't and there were vending machines a-plenty with coke. Now that one can buy coke in the SU shop, it's much cheaper than their 7up is for some reason..weird. It's a classic example of not buying it in a Spar (€1.55) and buying it in Dunnes instead (97cent) or even the 2litre bottle for 99cent in SuperValu. I have to agree it's really easy not to get ripped off.
Reply 107
roxy potter
That's the thing, you think 135 euro a week is cheap for accomodation but for a lot of people it's not. I know people living central London for only a little bit more. When I was at Galway I paid 85euro a week for a house that was a five minute wakl from college, when I lived in the "best" student accommodation it was 100(and that was one of the most expensive in the area) In other parts of the country people pay 70 for top accommodation. Even when I was in cambridge I spent about 400pounds a month for what was one of the best rooms in my college. So relatively, Dublin is a lot more expensive. Plus the costs of simple things like a bottle of coke is much more expensive (not that you'd be buying any coke in trinity) You could enjoy a much higher standard of living somewhere else and you def will in Cambridge (I was the only one who found Cambridge compartively cheap out of all my international friends)

Also, the euro is really expensive now and that looks set to continue.

That's dead on.

I pay 220GBP a month for off-campus accomodation (house as well) in York that I would consider fairly decent by any standards. 135 EURO is reasonable in the context of Dublin but quite steep for the majority of students overall.

Regarding Trinity, I've always found it far too old-fashioned for my liking and a bit stuffy on the whole. Far prefer UCD's layout (could give two ****** about architecture really). To say Trinity has the best nightlife of any uni in the country is crazy as well. Not any better than UCD and a mile behind Galway and Maynooth.

I can't see any reason why anyone would want to go to uni in Ireland from abroad.

I'm just waiting for that job offer from Discover Ireland to come through the letter box after this... :biggrin:
Really..Maynooth relies on the same 3 pubs, snore. Galway of course is ahead of Trinity. I'd class the nightlife of TCD, UCD and DIT the same really.

UCD is all windy and Communist..ughh.
Reply 109
StarsAreFixed
Really..Maynooth relies on the same 3 pubs, snore. Galway of course is ahead of Trinity. I'd class the nightlife of TCD, UCD and DIT the same really.

UCD is all windy and Communist..ughh.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Dublin nightlife is one and the same for all really. Maynooth is mighty for a while and I've had a great laugh every time ive been down but it might get tiresome after a while.

England is better than all of them..
As a student at one of these 'elite' universities you talk about- I can't help but feel you're maybe in for a little disappointment. They're good, yes- but I know some UCD and TCD staff, and some students both current and former, and the gap is pretty negligable. In terms of international profile, they're miles ahead, but that's really about it. The gap, or perceived gap, between TCD and UCD is minute both in quality of education and reputation, and completely non-existent compared with the gap in profile between them and Oxbridge, at least out side of the UK and Ireland. I don't think the difference in standards warrants this, however. I wouldn't swap Oxford for UCD or TCD on a like for like basis, but if the Irish Research Council grant me funding for a project and Oxford or certain other UK institutions don't, then I know what I'll be doing...
The major difference between them except for of course size etc. would be that Oxbridge get major funding- alumni etc. TCD and UCD are both €10M+ in debt and can't compete with the likes of unis who are far from debt.
Reply 112
I'm from Dublin and got so bored of whole the TCD-UCD thing that I left and went down the country. :p:

The main differences I see between the two of them is perception and flexibility. Trinity gives you a Trinity degree and UCD tries to go for the 'broad' education thing. I have school friends studying in both, people who love both of them so I feel justified saying that there is probably the same amount of snobbishness in both of them (well, maybe a bit more in Trinity).

The thing is, Trinity is just good at creating this entire perception of itself as the best in the country. But no one else believes it. What were the points for Arts in some of the unis for this year? UCC 360, UCD 360, NUIG 355, Trinity between 355 and 530. Does that mean that Trinity is automatically a better university? No, because points are not based on how good a university it is but on how many people want to go there.

A lot of students want to go to Trinity because they think there is something 'special' about going there, not because they think it will give them a better education. I've had lecturers who also lectured in Trinity and found them useless. Also, Irish students generally go to the nearest university and a quarter of the population do live in Dublin.

Latest

Trending

Trending