The Student Room Group

Am I making a stupid decision? Turning down council flat?

I had family problems

I am not lying - you will think how is this possible, but my parents were trying to destroy my life to the extent of when I was being treated so badly I tried to move to a psychiatric home to seek solice, and as I wanted to come back my mother told me to stay in the psychaitric home so that the NHS can give me a free council house

Even, when I was put in a hostel with drug addicts and rats - she did not care, she said stay there so that the NHS can give me a free house etc

Anyways, long story short I am in a hostel since 2016 and I pay £20 rent every week - I now have the opportunity to apply for a free council flat (1 bed room)

but I do not want it

My family do not believe in me, nor do my teachers , and to be honest I don't really believe in myself anymore

but I still believe in myself a little bit and I want to aim higher than a 1 bed room council flat, and to be honest £20 rent a week is a lot of money as in a month it is £80 , and when I get the 1 bed room council flat I will have to pay money to furnish it etc, money and time I could spend doing other things that are more productive for me.. e.g. pursuing an education and a career.

So I want to turn down the council flat/ leave the hostel and instead, stay back in my family home (the family problems have stopped, even though my dad does not want me here anymore) and I want to save that £80 a month towards my future or to use it more productively e.g. to live my life...
Original post by Anonymous
I had family problems

I am not lying - you will think how is this possible, but my parents were trying to destroy my life to the extent of when I was being treated so badly I tried to move to a psychiatric home to seek solice, and as I wanted to come back my mother told me to stay in the psychaitric home so that the NHS can give me a free council house

Even, when I was put in a hostel with drug addicts and rats - she did not care, she said stay there so that the NHS can give me a free house etc

Anyways, long story short I am in a hostel since 2016 and I pay £20 rent every week - I now have the opportunity to apply for a free council flat (1 bed room)

but I do not want it

My family do not believe in me, nor do my teachers , and to be honest I don't really believe in myself anymore

but I still believe in myself a little bit and I want to aim higher than a 1 bed room council flat, and to be honest £20 rent a week is a lot of money as in a month it is £80 , and when I get the 1 bed room council flat I will have to pay money to furnish it etc, money and time I could spend doing other things that are more productive for me.. e.g. pursuing an education and a career.

So I want to turn down the council flat/ leave the hostel and instead, stay back in my family home (the family problems have stopped, even though my dad does not want me here anymore) and I want to save that £80 a month towards my future or to use it more productively e.g. to live my life...

Would going back home not do your mental health some harm?

hey, me and my gf were together since four year and last year she left and i dont know what strike my mind and i dated someone else but after a week i thought i couldn't move on so i ditched her too and now am really worried and i want to with my first, how can we get together and what will make her come back to me.

Original post by Anonymous
I had family problems

but I do not want it

So I want to turn down the council flat/ leave the hostel and instead, stay back in my family home (the family problems have stopped, even though my dad does not want me here anymore) and I want to save that £80 a month towards my future or to use it more productively e.g. to live my life...[/QUO
There are several issues at play here. Social housing is very difficult to access even for those who are prioritised or vulnerable. There is a long process involved before anyone becomes eligible for any form of social housing these days owing to the scarcity of homes.
'I want to aim higher than a council flat'. Everyone has to start somewhere. You are very lucky to have got this far and there are young people your age in your circumstances who would give anything to be offered what you have been offered.
You say that your home problems are sorted. This may be so but how are you to know that things won't return to what they were previously? Why would you want to live somewhere where you are not wanted? In your own place, you can be yourself and plan for your future.
My advice to you is to take the council flat. X
you won't be able to live at home forever.... but you can stay in the flat as long as you like.
Take the flat. If you live at home things could deteriorate again.
Take the flat. Get settled. Then deal with the next challenge.

This is a great example of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Good luck :-)
Take the flat. It's very unlikely you'd be offered somewhere by the council for a very long time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending