The Student Room Group

Can I move out at 16?

I genuinely don't think I can stand this much longer.

My dad doesn't speak to me unless it's an insult or snide comment. He has claimed two rooms of the house for himself, which we aren't allowed in. He can be verbally abusive to everyone, and acts like a toddler.

My mum is narrow minded and likes to dictate everything (you can't have that opinion etc). Every time I speak, she will chastise me. She sticks up for my dad even when he makes her cry.

My siblings are rude and disrespectful. I am currently revising for my GCSEs and they purposefully interrupt me with little regard for how it affects my studying. They are spoilt and have shocking behaviour.

Every day since I turned 11 I have been cooking for my siblings. The housework must also be done. I can't attend any after school revision sessions as I have these responsibilities, and I'm not allowed anywhere with my friends.

My dad does nothing around the house, preferring to lock himself away and pretend we don't exist. My parents buy masses and masses of pure junk food (like, loads). They order takeaway for themselves every night, and give my siblings huge amounts of unhealthy food. They never exercise apart from a quick dog walk, and as a result of these things, my siblings are very lazy and unwilling.

I have no support. As I said, my dad doesn't speak to me. My mum is dismissive. If I do well in a test, I'll get a "keep it up" and if I do worse than expected it's a "work harder". My exams are in two weeks and I'm really nervous, and my parents keep on getting me to do stuff, not allowing me to stay after school, saying "they're not that important".

When I struggled with MH problems (anxiety, depression, eating disorders) I was told to simply stop. I had no help and was forced to help myself. I still struggle a bit, and I just feel so alone here. No one seems to care, and to be quite honest I don't see them as family.

I really don't feel as if I can stay here. My friend offered me a room at hers, and her mum is okay with it. I just cannot cope. I feel so broken by not being enough for these people and not worthy of their respect. There's more than I've mentioned but this is long enough.

I'd appreciate if someone could advise me on any options I have.
Yes, its legal for you to move out at 16.
If you feel its for the best then you can move
Reply 2
Original post by WarMachineRox

My dad doesn't speak to me unless it's an insult or snide comment. He has claimed two rooms of the house for himself, which we aren't allowed in. He can be verbally abusive to everyone, and acts like a toddler.

My mum is narrow minded and likes to dictate everything (you can't have that opinion etc). Every time I speak, she will chastise me. She sticks up for my dad even when he makes her cry.

My siblings are rude and disrespectful. I am currently revising for my GCSEs and they purposefully interrupt me with little regard for how it affects my studying. They are spoilt and have shocking behaviour.

Every day since I turned 11 I have been cooking for my siblings. The housework must also be done. I can't attend any after school revision sessions as I have these responsibilities, and I'm not allowed anywhere with my friends.

My dad does nothing around the house, preferring to lock himself away and pretend we don't exist. My parents buy masses and masses of pure junk food (like, loads). They order takeaway for themselves every night, and give my siblings huge amounts of unhealthy food. They never exercise apart from a quick dog walk, and as a result of these things, my siblings are very lazy and unwilling.

I have no support. As I said, my dad doesn't speak to me. My mum is dismissive. If I do well in a test, I'll get a "keep it up" and if I do worse than expected it's a "work harder". My exams are in two weeks and I'm really nervous, and my parents keep on getting me to do stuff, not allowing me to stay after school, saying "they're not that important".

When I struggled with MH problems (anxiety, depression, eating disorders) I was told to simply stop. I had no help and was forced to help myself. I still struggle a bit, and I just feel so alone here. No one seems to care, and to be quite honest I don't see them as family.

I really don't feel as if I can stay here. My friend offered me a room at hers, and her mum is okay with it. I just cannot cope. I feel so broken by not being enough for these people and not worthy of their respect. There's more than I've mentioned but this is long enough.

Theres ways you could move out but dont. I understand ur stressed by moving out would make it 10x worse, at 16 theres no way you could finanically provide for yourself let alone get a job, I have been in the similar situation myself I found that the best thing is to try and find ways to chill which I know is hard but u will have little gaps try to take advantage of them, I dont recommend it but I used to just lie and ended up stopping after school sending a text last minute to my parents just so they knew where I was.

Your siblings are going to be irritating thats what they do. Just lock your door, barricade if u will and say ur revising. Throw on a pair of headphones (even if no music) and get to work. For expecting your parents to say "keep it up" u just shouldnt expect that, this is for you and in the future do you really expect your boss to "motivate" you.

The best way to move out would be at 18 via student accomidation if you opted to go to university. Try and push to that point and that should motivate you. Then you can get your freedom and space.

Whatever u do I wish u the best.

-JMF1
Reply 3
Go revise in the library, once you finish uni, get a job and move out.
Reply 4
I don't advise you move out now, you will struggle to support yourself without a job and the council won't give you housing if you already have a family. You will end up on the street and trust me, an abusive household is better than being on the street. I suggest you revise in a quiet place like a library, dont listen to what anyone says, if they are too lazy to get off their arse, they are too lazy to do anything to you regarding revision.

Once you have a stable job and can afford rent, I suggest you move out.
Reply 5
Original post by ma_long
Go revise in the library, once you finish uni, get a job and move out.

They can move out when starting uni.

If you can get the grades to go to uni at 17 then all the better though it may not be possible.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
They can move out when starting uni.

If you can get the grades to go to uni at 17 then all the better though it may not be possible.

Yes, but I mean proper accommodation funded by yourself and not a student loan. With renting you have to keep up rent or be evicted, I'd rather OP save money now and build an emergency fund of 3-6 months of rent if he or she were to ever lose her job.
Original post by JMF1
Theres ways you could move out but dont. I understand ur stressed by moving out would make it 10x worse, at 16 theres no way you could finanically provide for yourself let alone get a job, I have been in the similar situation myself I found that the best thing is to try and find ways to chill which I know is hard but u will have little gaps try to take advantage of them, I dont recommend it but I used to just lie and ended up stopping after school sending a text last minute to my parents just so they knew where I was.

Your siblings are going to be irritating thats what they do. Just lock your door, barricade if u will and say ur revising. Throw on a pair of headphones (even if no music) and get to work. For expecting your parents to say "keep it up" u just shouldnt expect that, this is for you and in the future do you really expect your boss to "motivate" you.

The best way to move out would be at 18 via student accomidation if you opted to go to university. Try and push to that point and that should motivate you. Then you can get your freedom and space.

Whatever u do I wish u the best.

-JMF1

Thanks for reply, although I think you misunderstand some of what I said. I can't lock my door as I share a room. And they're not just "irritating", they can be downright bullies. I don't expect them to say anything - what I said was that the most support I get is a throwaway, dismissive comment.
Original post by ma_long
I don't advise you move out now, you will struggle to support yourself without a job and the council won't give you housing if you already have a family. You will end up on the street and trust me, an abusive household is better than being on the street. I suggest you revise in a quiet place like a library, dont listen to what anyone says, if they are too lazy to get off their arse, they are too lazy to do anything to you regarding revision.

Once you have a stable job and can afford rent, I suggest you move out.

Yeah, I guess I could go library on Saturdays (not open Sundays). To be honest, right now I couldn't care less. I've been so close to packing my bags so many times, but I'm scared of being made to go back and it being worse.
Thanks for replying. I'll try and make the best of it I guess.
phone childline and get some advice on your situation. They will support you. Also look at options to join Army, Navy, RAF at 16 to 18 with apprenticeship as alternative to University. Then you can become financially independent with full training salary and accomodation. However you will need to get fit to do this and be able to accept military discipline. Look for information online.
Reply 9
Original post by WarMachineRox

At 16 you can move out if you want to. Even if your parents were to call the police they could not force you to go home.

It's a very big decision though and although it may be the right thing for you to do (and that is your choice- nobody else can tell you what to do) it is not something you should or have to do alone.
If you do feel like moving out is the right thing to do or if you want some options other than moving out, get in touch with some people who can help and support you.
That includes people like childline, the runaway helpline, your school, any adult you trust, a doctor, the police, your local council etc. There are so many people out there to support you. You do not have to do this alone.

Moving out at a young age is hard because you need to think about money, housing, education, mental health, food, bills etc etc. That's something that's difficult enough for adults, let alone a 16 year old who needs ID to buy a kitchen knife.
Really think through your decision and make sure you are ready for it before you do anything. Sort out somewhere to live, how you're going to get food, what you will do about education etc. Those people I mentioned above can help with that, but you need to start things off by asking for help.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending