The Student Room Group

Transferring from a RG Uni to a non-RG Uni

An RG uni like Nottingham/Birmingham to study a STEM subject for 2nd year at a non-RG uni. What are your thoughts on this? Anon. for good reasons.

Scroll to see replies

Who gives a **** about RG. As long as it's not a huge drop, why should it matter.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
Who gives a **** about RG. As long as it's not a huge drop, why should it matter.
I agree with your statement. The course has been nice, but the kind of people that go here are not the kind of people you'd expect at an RG uni really, and outside of the literal course itself I really like nothing about this uni. Yeah it won't be a huge drop I believe.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with your statement. The course has been nice, but the kind of people that go here are not the kind of people you'd expect at an RG uni really, and outside of the literal course itself I really like nothing about this uni. Yeah it won't be a huge drop I believe.

Not the kind of people you expect, as in not very work-focussed and erudite? I think this is going to be a rather common experience, and perhaps more so the lower done the "hierarchy" you go.

That said, a uni is not better by leagues just because it is RG. The drop is not significant, so if you want to leave, then it should make little difference. Just need to ensure your reasons for leaving are somewhat sensible!
Reply 4
Just wanted to see what others thought about it.
Reply 5
Not the kind of people you expect, as in not very work-focussed and erudite? I think this is going to be a rather common experience, and perhaps more so the lower done the "hierarchy" you go.

That said, a uni is not better by leagues just because it is RG. The drop is not significant, so if you want to leave, then it should make little difference. Just need to ensure your reasons for leaving are somewhat sensible!

Oh well, I'm sold on my decision, even if that isn't the case, too much animosity here to even consider staying here.
Reply 6
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Well there go your upper middle class chances (slim even at the RG)..

Basically zero now lol...

You'll be a middle manager at best.

I don't categorise my life into whatever societal class I'm in. As long as I have a roof over my head and can have good meals everyday I'm very happy. Not everyone wants to be rich.

Why do you care about classes? And how can you even decide what my future is by my post? No offence, but what was your post trying to get at? If it was a joke then sorry.
I don't categorise my life into whatever societal class I'm in. As long as I have a roof over my head and can have good meals everyday I'm very happy. Not everyone wants to be rich.

Why do you care about classes? And how can you even decide what my future is by my post? No offence, but what was your post trying to get at? If it was a joke then sorry.

I go to U of N so its a bit offensive....if the materials too tough for you, dont blame the uni.

Going to a lower ranked uni wont get you around more motivated individuals.

This whole post is sloppy,

What answer did you expect for the very sarcastic one i just gave you.

IN essence be honest its what you wanted to hear, your future "chances in modernitys meritocratic construct" will you lose salary blah blah....

You do have statistically less chances at success, but not by much.

What else was this question going to accomplish?
Reply 8
I go to U of N so its a bit offensive....if the materials too tough for you, dont blame the uni.

IN essence be honest its what you wanted to hear, your future "chances in modernitys meritocratic construct" will you lose salary blah blah....

I wasn't even attacking your university though, I just said I wanted to transfer. Why do you assume that it's because I can't handle my course? I love the course itself at my uni, and I've handled it pretty well so far and I'm on track for a 1st/2:1. Your post assumes that I'm transferring because you think that someone isn't capable of handling an RG course but you are really wrong about this. I'm transferring because everything outside of the course is horrible here for me and I don't mind transferring to a 'lesser' university if it means I'll be happier for the next few years.

Guess we misunderstood each other, and I don't go to Nottingham, just used it as an example.
Reply 9

Not everyone transfers a uni because their course is tough...

Just wanted to see what people thought about it.
An RG uni like Nottingham/Birmingham to study a STEM subject for 2nd year at a non-RG uni. What are your thoughts on this? Anon. for good reasons.

What are your professional goals?
Original post by DrSocSciences
What are your professional goals?

Don't want to reveal too much to get discovered, but in essence just living the working life/consultancy.
Don't want to reveal too much to get discovered, but in essence just living the working life/consultancy.

Take out the working life thing and leave in consultancy and/or working generally.

Fair enough. It's not the opinions of fellow students or your wider peer group that matters in relation to your issue, but rather, potential future employers. If your reasons for the switch are valid, then go for it. Consultancy work, however, inevitably involves a higher frequency of occasions when potential employers might bring their own RG vs non RG prejudices when assessing your suitability.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Fair enough. It's not the opinions of fellow students or your wider peer group that matters in relation to your issue, but rather, potential future employers. If your reasons for the switch are valid, then go for it. Consultancy work, however, inevitably involves a higher frequency of occasions when potential employers might bring their own RG vs non RG prejudices when assessing your suitability.

I understand, I've a great thing lined up for myself which will be really valuable for my career which is why I'm not so chuffed about the transfer.
Not everyone transfers a uni because their course is tough...

Just wanted to see what people thought about it.

Then be more aware that people on this forum may attend unis and then dont drop specific names and make implications.
Then be more aware that people on this forum may attend unis and then dont drop specific names and make implications.

You're taking offence at nothing, you should be glad instead I name dropped your uni because it's the caliber of the RG uni I go to. Just picking up an argument over nothing and being rude to me for no reason with a pompous and proud attitude.

Funny how you're making U of N look worse hahahahaha
Original post by Student-95

You actually understand, like how can he/she be so arrogant for no reason.
Original post by Student-95

Saying I can't handle the course and making stupid assumptions. Complete joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending