The Student Room Group

I can't cope with working world

I've experienced a very difficult time recently, regarding my mental health in relation to the workplace.

My inability to deal with difficult people, to be resilient and not care what people think or say to me or about me behind my back, has caused me a pretty bad period of Depression.

I work in a corporate company with (basically) bullies, mostly my line managers, but there are a few nasty people on my level that like to tittle tattle, repeat what I say, and most of all pretend to be understanding and a 'mate'.

I feel isolated, and on my own due to been unable to trust.

Some days I am overworked, and deliberately targeted, given duties to train staff even though not a trainer. Other times, other new staff get targeted and its upsetting to see as a moral person- Managers been pushy.

These levels of stress have caused me to go home early (when asked), as I simply cannot tolerate it. This has a knock on affect on my income.

The stress is causing problems in other areas in my life; relationship breakdown. I have debts and im dependent on alcohol (self medicating; social anxiety, stress, depression).

I have a history of mental illness, and I am unable to compartmentalise and let go of emotions after work. They linger and it makes me ill.

Very recently, I have been pretty low and in crisis. I have posted several times over last few days; my thread have be removed.

Many people have told me to try and find a new job, which, im trying to do for two years (after uni). Im not a stupid person, I work in unskilled work (unfortunately) but deserve better treatment.

I should probably goto doctors, and be signed off work, (in my state of mind) but I cant afford to be off work.

Im desperate any advice?
Start looking for jobs ASAP and leave this place as soon as you can.
I know not having a job will be difficult but you need to get out of this toxic environment. Do you have any family members who can help out money-wise?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
Start looking for jobs ASAP and leave this place as soon as you can.
I know not having a job will be difficult but you need to get out of this toxic environment. Do you have any family members who can help out money-wise?

I'm still actively applying for roles and places on graduate schemes. I'm literally the first person to volunteer to go home early, because I hate the place.

A new Manager we have has started passing comments about me being "slow" and how I [apparently] "stand around and do nothing", despite the fact I was between jobs and was about to ask if he wanted me to do anything else.

So, I immediately walked away from situation, and tried telling the store manager, who was literally doing her paper work going "mhm mhm oh right, yeah yeah". Didn't even stop what she was doing and was going through files on a computer. No shred of empathy in her voice at all.

She was completely indifferent and uncaring, and even asked me what my name was, to write it down! (We all have name badges on, and it isnt big workforce - shes worked with me many times).

I told her I was suffering from work related stress, depression for last 2 yrs since my employment. I said I couldnt see myself staying much longer, to which she attempted to sound like she cared; "I want you to stay!".

I told her I was on anti depressants and in therapy, she said "oh right then okay".

She then said "have you spoke to anyone else about it?". Well how could I if I dont trust anyone from top down.

I have a 4 hr shift today and the thought of it kills me.

It may come to a point I will need to hand in my resignation notice.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm still actively applying for roles and places on graduate schemes. I'm literally the first person to volunteer to go home early, because I hate the place.

A new Manager we have has started passing comments about me being "slow" and how I [apparently] "stand around and do nothing", despite the fact I was between jobs and was about to ask if he wanted me to do anything else.

So, I immediately walked away from situation, and tried telling the store manager, who was literally doing her paper work going "mhm mhm oh right, yeah yeah". Didn't even stop what she was doing and was going through files on a computer. No shred of empathy in her voice at all.

She was completely indifferent and uncaring, and even asked me what my name was, to write it down! (We all have name badges on, and it isnt big workforce - shes worked with me many times).

I told her I was suffering from work related stress, depression for last 2 yrs since my employment. I said I couldnt see myself staying much longer, to which she attempted to sound like she cared; "I want you to stay!".

I told her I was on anti depressants and in therapy, she said "oh right then okay".

She then said "have you spoke to anyone else about it?". Well how could I if I dont trust anyone from top down.

I have a 4 hr shift today and the thought of it kills me.

It may come to a point I will need to hand in my resignation notice.

I'm sorry you're being treated this way. It does sound like you really need to leave as soon as possible. Your mental health is always far more important than a job.
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm sorry you're being treated this way. It does sound like you really need to leave as soon as possible. Your mental health is always far more important than a job.

Yes well, for some reason I thought if I went higher up 'to the powers that be', it would be a different experience. I was so wrong, and felt so unsupported.

After telling me to come back at my break to discuss at length (3 hrs went by), I go to clock onto my break and she asks me "oh are you going home then?".

I was like, no i'm clocking out for my break.

I dunno if that was a sly dig that she wanted me to just leave there and then.

I thought at heart, she wasn't the malicious type; shes quite incompetent and docile actually, and rumoured to be an alcoholic. But still, I at least thought she'd care enough to stop and listen.
I think you need to evaluate at what stge it is better to quit if its making you unwell.

Remember, to do applications and be successful at interviews, you need to be calm and composed, not suffering from mental illness or depression - you wont be able to do your best like this.

Is there anyone else you can approach at work for some support? If not, maybe cut down the hours you do as a starter, so you spend less time there.

As the above poster said, your health should always come first.

Please focus all your energies on getting a different job. Even if its a job you dont particularly want, it might be better to do that then stay in this environment.

Also, perhaps talk to your doctor about how you feel if you havent already. They can offer guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending