The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The vast majority of flats are single sex. There are a few mixed sex flats around - it really comes down to luck in who you'll be living with.

If you're talking about the free Internet TV, then yes, you are able to hook up your computer to it. I've never tried it myself mind you. TV reception is very good - I'm able to get all the freeview channels on my TV.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Does the type of room you pick influence whether you are allocated mixed or single?
Reply 3
I'm not sure to be honest - the only mixed sex flats that I know of are flats that are made up of single ensuite rooms so maybe it's only those types of rooms that you'll have a chance of getting a mixed sex flat.

Why, do you really want to be in a mixed sex flat?
Reply 4
geoff_yin
If you're talking about the free Internet TV, then yes, you are able to hook up your computer to it. I've never tried it myself mind you. TV reception is very good - I'm able to get all the freeview channels on my TV.

Do you have to have an indoor aerial for that?
Reply 5
You know what, I have absolutely no idea what you need to get the Internet TV thing.

In terms of normal TV, you just need to get a wire that plugs into the aerial socket in your TV to the socket in the wall.
Reply 6
The internet tv thing aka freewire tv works at uni and no you don't need a tv cable for it. However I've never been able to use it properly on my vista computer but it works fine when I'm on my xp.You still need to have a tv license for it though (technically).

if you're talking about some other free tv thing, then i apologise for not answering your question.
Reply 7
I meant freeview lol :smile:

I have firewire TV installed on my laptop already because I stayed with a friend of mine who was at the uni this year and she showed it to me when I was asking about if you have to pay for it and how you set it up when you get to uni.
Reply 8
There are no communal aeriels in the bedrooms to my knowledge so unless you bring a portable tv you will have to use your desktop/laptop. Freeview!?! It's a bit of a mystery but I would personally recommend downloading a little program called sopcast that will do you for movies and sports the rest you might be able to torrent.

There are bags of restrictions on the Uni network though so you might not be able to use some of these.

Also found this over the weekend, enjoy!

http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/movies.html

B:smile:
Reply 9
There are TV aerial points in the rooms in BGP - at least in the modern blocks.

To get freeview, you just need to buy a freeview box which is quite cheap nowadays. You just plug it into your TV and connect it to the TV aerial point, and you're good to go.
Reply 10
BrenLee, could you shed any light on the mixed allocation of BGP?
most flats are single sexed, the buildings are mixed. there are only a few mixed sex flats available in BGP
Reply 12
cc123
BrenLee, could you shed any light on the mixed allocation of BGP?

Don't need to when you've got the helpful folks like La Trampa about. Take her word over mine when it comes to actually living there, cos she does!
Reply 13
Lol thanks for the help. I didn't really expect it to have an aerial point (esp. a digital one!) ... but its all good :biggrin:
Reply 14
The TV point is the same whether you're using it for analogue or digital television I think.
Reply 15
Oh ok, didn't know that...
Reply 16
BrenLee
There are no communal aeriels in the bedrooms to my knowledge so unless you bring a portable tv you will have to use your desktop/laptop. Freeview!?! It's a bit of a mystery but I would personally recommend downloading a little program called sopcast that will do you for movies and sports the rest you might be able to torrent.

There are bags of restrictions on the Uni network though so you might not be able to use some of these.

Also found this over the weekend, enjoy!

http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/movies.html

B:smile:

Thanks for this! :smile:
Reply 17
Has anyone sent back their forms for Broadgate yet?
as long as you send it back within the date specified, you've got the room you were offered.
Reply 19
Yes! I did mine on Thursday, but I haven't heard anything back.
Edit: That was just the standard accom form, not sure if that's what you mean. I haven't yeat been offered at room in BGP.

Latest

Trending

Trending