The Student Room Group

Failed my AS exam can i still get into university?

I had 6 ucas exams take place and i feel like i failed them all, I had my psychology papers back today in which I got an E overall unexpectedly, i thought i would get an A or a B. I'm most certain I failed maths and economics and now i will have a bad set of predicated grades for university and I'm scared. What can I do to fix it?How can i get my teachers to higher my grades? I was really ill during the half term and i've had some family problems, will my school be lenient and give me better predicted grades? My overall attendance has been 90 percent, will this affect my grades?
If these are just internal exams, the good news is that the grades don't go on your application.

Ideally you need to go and speak to your head of sixth about your extenuating circumstances. TBH, it would have probably been better to mention these before your exams, but if you can take in some evidence (e.g. a doctors note because you were ill) then this may help you show the exams don't reflect your true ability.

The next thing to do is to talk to your subject teachers. Ask where you went wrong and what you can do to improve next year- ask what you need to do over the summer to get a good predicted grade, and then do it! How lenient they are will vary from school to school, and also if they do agree these exams are just a blip, or if they think you are genuinely struggling. But talking to them in a collaborative way will help.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If these are just internal exams, the good news is that the grades don't go on your application.

Ideally you need to go and speak to your head of sixth about your extenuating circumstances. TBH, it would have probably been better to mention these before your exams, but if you can take in some evidence (e.g. a doctors note because you were ill) then this may help you show the exams don't reflect your true ability.

The next thing to do is to talk to your subject teachers. Ask where you went wrong and what you can do to improve next year- ask what you need to do over the summer to get a good predicted grade, and then do it! How lenient they are will vary from school to school, and also if they do agree these exams are just a blip, or if they think you are genuinely struggling. But talking to them in a collaborative way will help.

Does that mean i can get into good universities using my A2 results? Will they not take my AS into consideration? thank you for the response

I had a word with my psychology teacher who is willing to let me do a resit on the last week of school, with that in mind, he's willing to mark any papers and practise questions that I do for him which I feel like if i did amazing in would help bump up my prediction. I still have yet to get my grades back for the other two exams. Appreciate the response.
Are these actual AS exams- as in externally examined qualifications? Or just in school end of year 12 exams, I'm just wondering because you mention having grades back already? Actual AS results will need to be declared on your UCAS form, but if you have decent GCSEs and predictions, having poor AS results won't be ideal, but you should still be able to get a uni place, especially with a strong reference from your school.

However, it sounds like these are just internal exams- in which case, unis never need to know about the results. As long as you work with your teachers to get them to give you reasonable predicted grades, you should be able to get a uni place. If you do better than expected, there's always adjustment on results day, as well.

It sounds like your psychology teacher is willing to give you a second chance, which is great. Hopefully your other teachers are as generous, and they will help you out.
Are these actual AS exams- as in externally examined qualifications? Or just in school end of year 12 exams, I'm just wondering because you mention having grades back already? Actual AS results will need to be declared on your UCAS form, but if you have decent GCSEs and predictions, having poor AS results won't be ideal, but you should still be able to get a uni place, especially with a strong reference from your school.

However, it sounds like these are just internal exams- in which case, unis never need to know about the results. As long as you work with your teachers to get them to give you reasonable predicted grades, you should be able to get a uni place. If you do better than expected, there's always adjustment on results day, as well.

It sounds like your psychology teacher is willing to give you a second chance, which is great. Hopefully your other teachers are as generous, and they will help you out.

Is it possible for me to get kicked out of my school if i fail these exams? They're internal and I believe you're right when you say that they only stay within the school, do you think there may be a chance they would kick me out?
Original post by Spaceship2001
Is it possible for me to get kicked out of my school if i fail these exams? They're internal and I believe you're right when you say that they only stay within the school, do you think there may be a chance they would kick me out?

Is it a State or Private school? If it's a state school they would struggle with asking you to leave but could ask you to drop subjects or resit y12. If it's a private school then it's down to their internal policies.

You/you parents probably need to discuss this with the school.
Is it a State or Private school? If it's a state school they would struggle with asking you to leave but could ask you to drop subjects or resit y12. If it's a private school then it's down to their internal policies.

It's a state school, it's ranked top 10 in comprehensive schools in the UK, so i have a feeling they might possibly kick me out just to keep their results high, is it still possible to resit yr 12? I thought linear courses mean you couldn't resit

Thank you endlessly for the replies!

Have you got any tips you can give me to try and persuade my teachers to give me good predicted grades? In all fairness, I am most likely going to be working over summer to get back on track and I want to tell my teachers this and tell them to have faith in me achieving these grades.
It's still possible to resit year 12, if your school agree. It's also still possible to resit external exams, if you had taken any. The change to linear exams just means that there are no more January resits and you can't use resitting AS exams as a way to bring up your final grade. You also have to resit the full exam, not just individual modules.

State schools aren't really supposed to ask you to leave sixth form due to poor grades.

Re: predicted grades, talk to your teachers, ask them what you need to do over the summer to improve your grades. Ask them why they think your grades in these exams were so poor- was it a case of not knowing the content, or did you mess up on exam technique? A-level exams can require precise technical language to pick up marks. If you know the gist of something, but don't use the right language, for example, the examiner sometimes can't give you any credit.

If you talk to your head of sixth form about your illness and family problems, they may also be a bit more lenient. However, being honest, a short illness and a few issues at home probably wouldn't make a student drop from and A to an E grade, unless you've been having problems all year, so I do think something else may have gone wrong here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending