The Student Room Group

I feel guilty for dating whilst I have depression

Sometimes I get moody and miserable for no reason and take it out on my boyfriend or I just want to stay in bed and cry, i don’t feel like I have any purpose in life and I hate putting my boyfriend through this, should I dump him?
I feel like if you can't love yourself, how can you love anyone else? In a relationship, you should be able to give someone love, support, uplift them. If you feel like you're bringing him down, then maybe a break would be good. It will help you focus on yourself and take care of yourself. Sometimes we need to be left alone so we can appreciate what we have and change to become a better person.
Reply 2
yeah dump him
only logical
I'm sorry you feel this way, feeling guilty for something you can't help is always the worst. I personally wouldn't jump straight to breaking up with him if you do care about him and want a relationship, because that is just going to put you both in a bad place, and maybe make you feel like your mental health is ruling your life, when it shouldn't be. If this is something that has been on your mind a lot, then maybe try bringing it up with him and see what he has to say? Making any assumptions about how he sees it could just make the situation worse, so it is better that you make sure you are both on the same page first before making such a decision. It might be that he doesn't mind at all, and likes that you feel you can trust him with something as personal as mental wellbeing problems. It is important however that you do what you think is right, and so if you really think the only course of action is to break up with him, then you shouldn't be forced to stay in the relationship if you just want to take time for yourself. Think it through, and I hope whatever you choose to do helps you.
Original post by Astrainlinat
Sometimes I get moody and miserable for no reason and take it out on my boyfriend or I just want to stay in bed and cry, i don’t feel like I have any purpose in life and I hate putting my boyfriend through this, should I dump him?

I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Have you tried talking to your boyfriend and telling him what you are going through? He will understand and maybe able to help you a little! Also, have you tried seeking professional help? If you do not know why you feel the way you do, professional help may be able to help you and counsel you! I hope everything works out!
Original post by baileyf14
I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Have you tried talking to your boyfriend and telling him what you are going through? He will understand and maybe able to help you a little! Also, have you tried seeking professional help? If you do not know why you feel the way you do, professional help may be able to help you and counsel you! I hope everything works out!

Thank you for your reply, Yes my boyfriend says he doesn’t mind and he’s very understanding but I know one day, he will hate me though 😥 yes I’m currently talking to a therapist but I’m still far away from actually feeling okay
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry you feel this way, feeling guilty for something you can't help is always the worst. I personally wouldn't jump straight to breaking up with him if you do care about him and want a relationship, because that is just going to put you both in a bad place, and maybe make you feel like your mental health is ruling your life, when it shouldn't be. If this is something that has been on your mind a lot, then maybe try bringing it up with him and see what he has to say? Making any assumptions about how he sees it could just make the situation worse, so it is better that you make sure you are both on the same page first before making such a decision. It might be that he doesn't mind at all, and likes that you feel you can trust him with something as personal as mental wellbeing problems. It is important however that you do what you think is right, and so if you really think the only course of action is to break up with him, then you shouldn't be forced to stay in the relationship if you just want to take time for yourself. Think it through, and I hope whatever you choose to do helps you.

Thank you for your reply, I just feel selfish because at the moment I’m our relationship it’s all about me which isn’t fair. I do try not to make it about me but my boyfriend worries too much about me. He would be so much happier if he didn’t have to worry all the time about me. I do love him but I’m not sure if I should let him go
u can get with someone else who has depression. that way both of u can understand each other's feelings and can support each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending