The Student Room Group

Should i drop out? Not improving at anytning

Hi,
I've just finished my second year at a Russell group uni (not specific to stay more anonymous) studying biochemistry and got a 3rd overall. I did well in first year (2.1 grade) but have a lot of exam anxiety and depression, especially this year feeling worse than ever from the pressure of it counting to my degree. Ive been seeing a psychologist, but the progress is slow and just a lot of talking through stuff, which isnt helping me much.
My issue is that im working very hard and still not getting anywhere with so many modules. When I did my A levels, I needed to repeat my AS levels and started revising for the resits in September that year!
However, at uni there is too much to cover to do this. With my recent results, im getting worse marks than some friends, where they have literally sent me their work, which ive included and more and still do worse? Ive asked the lecturers and they say do more depth, but even with the most depth i can cover, its still not enough.
Im also not allowed to repeat the year as i have passed some modules and have august resits to do soon too.
My mental state is suffering and i cant deal with the stress as all this effort for a poor grade doesn't seem worth it?
Basically, any advice would be great cause i feel so drained having to work so hard and never get any better, even with the practice and feedback.
Thank you for any replies.
Original post by AnOnYmOuS_101
Hi,
I've just finished my second year at a Russell group uni (not specific to stay more anonymous) studying biochemistry and got a 3rd overall. I did well in first year (2.1 grade) but have a lot of exam anxiety and depression, especially this year feeling worse than ever from the pressure of it counting to my degree. Ive been seeing a psychologist, but the progress is slow and just a lot of talking through stuff, which isnt helping me much.
My issue is that im working very hard and still not getting anywhere with so many modules. When I did my A levels, I needed to repeat my AS levels and started revising for the resits in September that year!
However, at uni there is too much to cover to do this. With my recent results, im getting worse marks than some friends, where they have literally sent me their work, which ive included and more and still do worse? Ive asked the lecturers and they say do more depth, but even with the most depth i can cover, its still not enough.
Im also not allowed to repeat the year as i have passed some modules and have august resits to do soon too.
My mental state is suffering and i cant deal with the stress as all this effort for a poor grade doesn't seem worth it?
Basically, any advice would be great cause i feel so drained having to work so hard and never get any better, even with the practice and feedback.

Presumably you have decent A levels?

If you feel you are overwhelmed and have MH issues, then its up to you. If I were in that situation I would estimate whether I stood a decent change of getting the degree I wanted.

If not then I might either suspend studies and get well or leave.

If I left I would get myself sorted out, get the medical all clear and either make a cpr claim to try and reclaim finance, then start a fresh degree somewhere. You might even get a transfer. That way you would have a better chance of coming out with a decent degree as well ashaving a less miserable uni experience.

The expense is it will take more time, takes some effort to sort out and you are taking a small risk.
You need to take a holiday, have a rest and consider whether you want to continue with your course.
No class of degree is worth jeopardizing your mental health and physical wellbeing.

Maybe look into differing your final year or switching to another subject.

I hope things look up for you.

Original post by AnOnYmOuS_101
Hi,
Your health should be your priority, especially if it is suffering right now.

I would definitely consider taking a year out to get better and to be able to assess the situation from a distance. This allows you to return if you are ready or the time to consider other possibilities.

If taking time away isn't something you want to do, what about a tutor? That might not be possible but are there any postgrad or older undergrad students who could help you out and give better advice than you have been given by teachers. Certainly at my uni people advertise their tuition services all the time so if it's the same where you go then this might be something to consider. Obviously it will cost you but if you are determined to continue on then it might be worth the money.

Hope things work out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending