The Student Room Group

Why can’t I get over my ‘food poisining’?

About 4 months ago I went on holiday for two weeks, and in the last week I was out for a meal, and about 20 minutes after I started eating my food I felt extremely sick. I then was sick, and couldn’t eat even a crumb or it would make me shake loads and feel sick, extremely hot and just spaced out. This essentially ruined the last week of my holiday as I couldn’t sunbathe as an inch of sun made me feel sick, and I didn’t go out for the evening meals as the smell of food made me feel extremely sick. Ever since I’ve got home, even 4 months on Im so nervous to eat food outside of my home, it feels like an accomplishment when I have finished a meal. And also ever since this has happened I’m scared people are spiking my food as I guess this is related to the fact that I got ill after eating my food out. What should I do? Will this go in time?
Original post by Anonymous
About 4 months ago I went on holiday for two weeks, and in the last week I was out for a meal, and about 20 minutes after I started eating my food I felt extremely sick. I then was sick, and couldn’t eat even a crumb or it would make me shake loads and feel sick, extremely hot and just spaced out. This essentially ruined the last week of my holiday as I couldn’t sunbathe as an inch of sun made me feel sick, and I didn’t go out for the evening meals as the smell of food made me feel extremely sick. Ever since I’ve got home, even 4 months on Im so nervous to eat food outside of my home, it feels like an accomplishment when I have finished a meal. And also ever since this has happened I’m scared people are spiking my food as I guess this is related to the fact that I got ill after eating my food out. What should I do? Will this go in time?

I reckon it will go in time. You just need to treat yourself with a bit of TLC. It seems like you were quite shaken by the incident and it’s given you anxiety as a result, see your doctor and they may suggest counselling or cbt. However you should do what you need to in your own time to ensure you’re taking care of yourself. So down time, if you’re feeling a bit fragile, rest etc etc. In time you will feel better.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

This sounds more psychological than physical. Hopefully you'll start to feel confident again on your own, but honestly 4 months is quite a long time to still be concerned about eating since it's such a normal thing.
After my tonsillectomy I had a bleeding issue and that made me scared to eat for a while (also the feeling ill and pain didn't help). It took me a good couple of weeks to start eating confidently again. In my case it was really just a matter of getting past the phase where I was at risk of more bleeding and then just exposing myself to food and getting used to it again.
In your case I guess that's a bit harder for you because there isn't an obvious risk phase you're out of and theoretically any food could be a problem for you.

But actually getting sick from food on holiday is pretty damn common. Even just the difference of food can shock your body and make it unwell. There's also the heat which adds to the issue and the potential that where you at had lower food hygiene standards or was really bust with tourists and messed up. That sort of thing doesn't happen frequently and the chances of you getting ill again are slim, especially back home where you have never had issues before.

Logically there is no reason to be afraid. Hell even if you did get ill again you know it will pass just like it did last time. It's not a pleasant experience no, but how many times did you fall as a kid and still keep getting up? That hasn't stopped you from living your life and neither should this.

That's logically though and our brains don't always think logically. If this is still an issue for you so far on you might actually like to talk to a counsellor or your GP. They can help to get your brain thinking more logically again and kick this scare it's got itself into.

I hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
This sounds more psychological than physical. Hopefully you'll start to feel confident again on your own, but honestly 4 months is quite a long time to still be concerned about eating since it's such a normal thing.
After my tonsillectomy I had a bleeding issue and that made me scared to eat for a while (also the feeling ill and pain didn't help). It took me a good couple of weeks to start eating confidently again. In my case it was really just a matter of getting past the phase where I was at risk of more bleeding and then just exposing myself to food and getting used to it again.
In your case I guess that's a bit harder for you because there isn't an obvious risk phase you're out of and theoretically any food could be a problem for you.

But actually getting sick from food on holiday is pretty damn common. Even just the difference of food can shock your body and make it unwell. There's also the heat which adds to the issue and the potential that where you at had lower food hygiene standards or was really bust with tourists and messed up. That sort of thing doesn't happen frequently and the chances of you getting ill again are slim, especially back home where you have never had issues before.

Logically there is no reason to be afraid. Hell even if you did get ill again you know it will pass just like it did last time. It's not a pleasant experience no, but how many times did you fall as a kid and still keep getting up? That hasn't stopped you from living your life and neither should this.

That's logically though and our brains don't always think logically. If this is still an issue for you so far on you might actually like to talk to a counsellor or your GP. They can help to get your brain thinking more logically again and kick this scare it's got itself into.

I hope that helps

As soon as I start eating I’m fine it’s just the waiting for the food to arrive. During my GCSEs I couldn’t eat at all due to stress and ended up in hospital due to fast heart rate, high pulse, high blood pressure etc. However I can eat food no problem now, but yesterday (sounds so stupid) I was eating an ice cream from McDonald’s and there was a bit of plastic in there and it scared me as I was pretty much fine and could eat out again but going for lunch today I was nervous but then again, once I started eating I was fine. I don’t want to go to the doctors and make a big problem out of nothing, I guess time will tell. Thankyou for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest