The Student Room Group

Entry requirements to the UK for an Albanian

My mum has been coming to Greece for 28 years and since I was born I have also been coming with her. It is like my second home and we have met some lovely people over here which we have become very close with.
There is one family in particular which are from an Albanian background, and their son who is 19 is hoping to work in the U.K. as this is what he has always wanted to do. We offered to help and do what we could for him as his family has been very good to us.
He is a Greek citizen, born and lives in Greece as he always has, but has an Albanian passport. However he has a Greek residence card.
Is this enough to allow him into the U.K.? If it isn’t then what does he require?

He was told this would be fine without a visa, by the airport over in Greece, however I just want to double check.
Original post by Milliehuckk
My mum has been coming to Greece for 28 years and since I was born I have also been coming with her. It is like my second home and we have met some lovely people over here which we have become very close with.
There is one family in particular which are from an Albanian background, and their son who is 19 is hoping to work in the U.K. as this is what he has always wanted to do. We offered to help and do what we could for him as his family has been very good to us.
He is a Greek citizen, born and lives in Greece as he always has, but has an Albanian passport. However he has a Greek residence card.
Is this enough to allow him into the U.K.? If it isn’t then what does he require?

He was told this would be fine without a visa, by the airport over in Greece, however I just want to double check.

My understanding is he will need a visa.
The residence card is likely to be for Greece only and not the EU as a whole.
It also doesnt allow him to work.

No idea but couldnt he explore getting a Greek passport and then he would be fine up till 2020 when we leave the EU.

A quick search indicates Greece allows dual citizenship.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2

Why does he want to come to the UK? Is for education or to work or just for a holiday?

https://www.migrationexpert.co.uk/uk-embassy/albania

I agree with tigger that getting a Greek passport may be the best route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Why does he want to come to the UK? Is for education or to work or just for a holiday?

https://www.migrationexpert.co.uk/uk-embassy/albania

I agree with tigger that getting a Greek passport may be the best route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is one family in particular which are from an Albanian background, and their son who is 19 is hoping to work in the U.K. as this is what he has always wanted to do.

Residents permit allows him to be resident in Greece, so not enough.

This came up quite a lot on whatever forum I was on when Merkel opened the borders and people were screaming about immigrants coming to the UK.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
There is one family in particular which are from an Albanian background, and their son who is 19 is hoping to work in the U.K. as this is what he has always wanted to do.

Residents permit allows him to be resident in Greece, so not enough.

This came up quite a lot on whatever forum I was on when Merkel opened the borders and people were screaming about immigrants coming to the UK.

Ah I missed that - so the Greek passport route is the way to go then :yy:
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah I missed that - so the Greek passport route is the way to go then :yy:

I would think it likely there will still be preferential treatment for EU citizens and if he rushes over before brexit then he wont be asked to leave.
No idea how difficult or expensive a Greek passport is, but a definite investment.
Reply 6
I would think it likely there will still be preferential treatment for EU citizens and if he rushes over before brexit then he wont be asked to leave.
No idea how difficult or expensive a Greek passport is, but a definite investment.

Thankyou for your help. It should be fairly easy for him to get hold of due to his dual nationality. He was born in Greece and his father is also half Greek. Whatever the cost I’m sure it will be much cheaper and less hassle than attempting to get a visa!
Thankyou again
Thankyou for your help. It should be fairly easy for him to get hold of due to his dual nationality. He was born in Greece and his father is also half Greek. Whatever the cost I’m sure it will be much cheaper and less hassle than attempting to get a visa!
Thankyou again

It should be straightforward as being born there gives him auto citizenship, which in turn will allow him full working rights in the UK. he should do it asap before brexit and then if he gets a job here they are unlikely to ask him to leave.
Reply 8

[QUOTE="Milliehuckk;78821158"]Thankyou for your help. It should be fairly easy for him to get hold of due to his dual nationality. He was born in Greece and his father is also half Greek. Whatever the cost I’m sure it will be much cheaper and less hassle than attempting to get a visa!
Thankyou again[/QUOTE

Even if he arrives during the transition period it should be fine
http://www.cityam.com/281458/eu-nationals-arriving-uk-during-brexit-transition-period
(edited 5 years ago)
[QUOTE="Doonesbury;78821532"]
Thankyou again[/QUOTE

Even if he arrives during the transition period it should be fine
http://www.cityam.com/281458/eu-nationals-arriving-uk-during-brexit-transition-period

Yes , same as that thread we were talking about concerning continuation of fees. Tbh the whole thing is such a mess. I think we are heading to hard Brexit because there is no time. Might be for the better as the Europeans continue to be unhelpful as we continue to show incompetence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending