The Student Room Group

Are you a Feminist?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
No. I support full equality, but I'm not a feminist.
Reply 22
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No. Feminism has now become a man-hating cult and I want nothing to do with it. I of course believe in equal rights and equality of opportunity for both sexes, but I don’t see why that position has to be called feminism.

I believe that I must disagree with you, firstly feminism isn't a cult but a movement if you didn't already know. Cults generally have a devotion to a certain object or figure when feminism merely has a goal for equality.

If you believe that all feminists are men-haters I don't think you would be able to justify it because you haven't met EVERY feminist so your statement there is untrue and it is a perfect example of the "danger of a single story" -Chimamanda Ngozi, stating that all feminists are men haters is like saying that every Mexican is an illegal immigrant, it's simply a disrespectful, stereotypical, unjustified and uneducated statement.
Original post by London090
I believe that I must disagree with you, firstly feminism isn't a cult but a movement if you didn't already know. Cults generally have a devotion to a certain object or figure when feminism merely has a goal for equality.

If you believe that all feminists are men-haters I don't think you would be able to justify it because you haven't met EVERY feminist so your statement there is untrue and it is a perfect example of the "danger of a single story" -Chimamanda Ngozi, stating that all feminists are men haters is like saying that every Mexican is an illegal immigrant, it's simply a disrespectful, stereotypical, unjustified and uneducated statement.

I didn’t say they’re all man haters. They’re in the minority but their voices are the loudest and so they’ve ruined the movement for sensible feminists. What they spout is most definitely misandry and their cult behaviour is deplorable.

Again, I don’t see why I need to call myself a feminist, I’m not and won’t ever be.

Is it not enough for me to say that I totally support equality of opportunity of the sexes? Sometimes it seems as if some feminists care more about the label of feminist than the actual ideas someone supports.
(edited 5 years ago)
depends on what you mean by feminism

There are also those feminists who are trying to get women to be superior and I don't see how that's any better

If women were treated properly by men and vice versa then none of this would have ever started

so just treat someone like you want to be treated
^ only solution to the issue

men and women need each other anyways (with possible exceptions but they are very rare)
Yes.

By definition, I think most people here, bar a few nut jobs, are feminists. The trouble is there are a significant number of self-proclaimed “feminists” who are actually just misandrists.

Added to that, the term is starting to become confusing, at least in developed countries. The term got its name from the fact that at its conception, women had it much worse off than men. Nowadays, there are still large unethical disparities between genders, particularly affecting women, but a significant portion of feminism is to do with addressing men’s issues, primarily toxic masculinity. I don’t know of any alternative terms that don’t have this problem though,
Reply 26
traditionally yes, 3rd wave NO
Honestly I don't think that feminism believes that men and women should be "identical" however we do believe in equality. I do agree with you on the point that men and women aren't identical at least not in bodily anatomy😂

The problem with something like feminism though is that - being an large and unorganized group - it contains people like you, who seem quite reasonable.. calling yourself the same name as the people who would declare that men and women are equally strong etc.

My view of gender and equality is basically this:

---

Spoiler

---

My issue with it today, is

Spoiler

I didn’t say they’re all man haters. They’re in the minority but their voices are the loudest and so they’ve ruined the movement for sensible feminists. What they spout is most definitely misandry and their cult behaviour is deplorable.

Again, I don’t see why I need to call myself a feminist, I’m not and won’t ever be.

This confuses me slightly. While there is certainly a portion of misandy amongst “feminist” communities, as someone who follows a large amount of feminist media, the amount of misandry is minuscule, compared to genuine issues of equality.

Of course, if you follow media that explicitly mocks this sort of behaviour then you’ll get pure, undiluted misandry. (/r/TumblrInAction comes to mind; a great subreddit in principle, but it seemingly gives the impression that the feminist community is oversaturated with this sort of material, when in reality it isn’t). But you seem too smart in general to fall for that mistake.
Original post by TimGB
Yes.

By definition, I think most people here, bar a few nut jobs, are feminists. The trouble is there are a significant number of self-proclaimed “feminists” who are actually just misandrists.

Added to that, the term is starting to become confusing, at least in developed countries. The term got its name from the fact that at its conception, women had it much worse off than men. Nowadays, there are still large unethical disparities between genders, particularly affecting women, but a significant portion of feminism is to do with addressing men’s issues, primarily toxic masculinity. I don’t know of any alternative terms that don’t have this problem though,

No. People can choose whether or not they want to adopt the label. I find the 'by definition' argument to be disingenuous and manipulative; feminism is about much more than equality and I find it to be quite sinister. You can fully support equality without calling yourself a feminist. I think that the movement is rotten to the core and it isn't just a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone else.
Reply 30

I don't believe that it is the feminist "men hating" minorities fault that sensible feminists are being misjudged I believe that it is societies problem. Because society views these feminists as "cult members" like you they misjudge the sensible ones, if society overlooked the minority the sensible ones wouldn't be misjudged or stereotyped. It's like when you meet one a small tribe of African people and they're all really poor and because of this you say that the rest of Africa is poor it just depends on how you want to look at a situation, it's either you see it with an open mind or a closed one.
No
I don't believe that it is the feminist "men hating" minorities fault that sensible feminists are being misjudged I believe that it is societies problem. Because society views these feminists as "cult members" like you they misjudge the sensible ones, if society overlooked the minority the sensible ones wouldn't be misjudged or stereotyped. It's like when you meet one a small tribe of African people and they're all really poor and because of this you say that the rest of Africa is poor it just depends on how you want to look at a situation, it's either you see it with an open mind or a closed one.

But movements do often get judged and tainted by their most radical members, it’s simple reality.

Again, many of these people care more about the label of feminist than your actual ideas. I support full equality of opportunity between the sexes, why is that not enough? Why must I also label myself as a feminist?

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say that nowadays if you refuse to call yourself a feminist it’s often assumed you’re against women’s rights. Celebrities and people in high positions are expected to call themselves feminists and I vaguely remember a few cases of famous people who got rekt on social media when they refused to give themselves that label.
(edited 5 years ago)
No, I'm all for egalitarianism though.
Reply 34
But movements do often get judged and tainted by their most radical members, it’s simple reality.

Again, many of these people care more about the label of feminist than your actual ideas. I support full equality of opportunity between the sexes, why is that not enough? Why must I also label myself as a feminist?

Well I never said that you HAD to be a feminist, I was simply arguing for the false accusations you were making.
Well I never said that you HAD to be a feminist, I was simply arguing for the false accusations you were making.

They weren’t false accusations because I never said all feminists were man haters. You were straw manning my comment.
Reply 37
Original post by fallen_acorns
The problem with something like feminism though is that - being an large and unorganized group - it contains people like you, who seem quite reasonable.. calling yourself the same name as the people who would declare that men and women are equally strong etc.

My view of gender and equality is basically this:

---

Spoiler

---

My issue with it today, is

Spoiler

I like your open minded insight and view😆
I support equality for all regardless of race age gender income etc... we are all people at the end of the day and we all should be treated fairly <3
Reply 39
No. Feminism has now become a man-hating cult and I want nothing to do with it. I of course believe in equal rights and equality of opportunity for both sexes, but I don’t see why that position has to be called feminism.

Notice how you you quoted "Feminism has now become a man hating cult" this most undoubtedly implies that you think that everyone who supports feminism is in this cult and hates men because you never specifically implied there was a minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending