The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes vs Brunel for MSc Physiotherapy - Help!

Hey all, I’m a Canadian student living in Canada, and applied to UK universities for MSc Physiotherapy pre-reg programs. I have been accepted to Oxford Brookes, Brunel, Manchester Metropolitan, Queen Margaret and Glasgow Caledonian. Was also waitlisted at Brighton. I would have loved to apply to Birmingham, Bradford and Southampton as well for their reputations, but the tuition was considerably more than the other uni’s for international students (like an extra 8,000GBP/year).

I have decided that I want to be somewhat near London for travelling reasons, and a childhood friend of mine lives in central London, so I have narrowed it down to Oxford Brookes and Brunel. Can anyone share their experiences or knowledge with these schools?

-What would be the better overall choice?
-Which is known to have a better physio program?
-What school is “better” for student life?
-How do the halls at each school compare?
-What school will be better for clinicals?

I haven’t visited either uni only places I’ve been to in the UK are London and Canterbury. Some pros/cons I’ve been thinking of:

Oxford Brookes:
-Always liked the idea of living in Oxford
-Don’t know much about how good the physio program is
-A peer of mine attended and graduated the MSc physio program here she enjoyed it but also mentioned that there’s a lot of self-directed learning, which scares me a bit as someone who has done traditional learning their whole life, how would self-directed be?
-Approx 1.5 hours to get into London via bus/train
-Also know of other Canadians who are attending / have attended
-I’ve heard the health sciences building is at Marston Road and isn’t renovated like Headington campus how good are the resources for physio students?
-Good hospitals and facilities in Oxford areas for clinicals
-Clive Booth post-graduate halls (likely my option for 1st year) is approx 8151.50GBP for the year.
-Tuition is 15,100GBP/year

Brunel:
-Have heard that Uxbridge is not the greatest city dirty and boring are words I’ve seen tossed around. Can anyone comment on this? I don’t want to be in a depressing environment for 2 years I want to enjoy the international experience!
-How is the campus and atmosphere?
-Traditional style of learning (what you need to know is taught face to face this does not include homework and research for assignments of course)
-Approx only 45min tube ride into central London
-I’ve heard that Brunel physio students are known to have good clinical skills in the London area. Practical skills are important to me, as the practical exam to obtain a license in Canada is known to be very tough.
-I’ve been told in my interview that there are also a bunch of Canadians studying this program
-I’ve read that the building for health sciences (Mary Seacole) is very new and dedicated physio resources are really great
-Potential to do clinicals in great hospitals and facilities with central London / other London areas
-The nicest post-grad hall option is Faraday hall, which is 7982.52GBP for the year
-Tuition is 13,200 (with the Dean’s scholarship for international students that I have received)

When I first applied to these schools, I leaned towards Oxford Brookes for the student life, but leaned towards Brunel for the program. Now I don't know what to think as my thoughts are all mixed up!

I also thought living as a student in Oxford at Oxford Brookes would be cheaper, but it seems halls and tuition are higher than Brunel!

As a side note, would it be in my interest to look into renting a room in a house near campus rather than choosing halls?

Sorry for the lengthy post... This is just a big decision for me!
Hello!

Thank you for your message. I'm a Student Ambassador at Oxford Brookes and a 1st year Nursing student so I would say that Brookes would be a better choice than Brunel! :biggrin: I have had placements at two of the big hospitals in Oxford so far and I have learnt so much from both of them.

Obviously I have not done the physio programme but I have friends who are doing the course and love it! Self-directed study is something that you have to do at all universities but it is not something to worry about because all the teachers are really helpful if you get stuck! There are also subject-specific librarians at the Headington Campus who can help you to find all the relevant literature you need to do a piece of work.

There are many resources at Marston Road for students, like practical labs, computer rooms and even a student kitchen! You are right that it is not as modern as the Headington Campus, however I think the architecture of the building is quite nice! :smile:

The atmosphere at Oxford Brookes for students is great because there is so much going on with hundreds of societies and activities run by the Student Union. I think it is amazing to live in Oxford as well because there is so much going on in the city (shopping, museums etc) and it is really easy to get to other places like London from there :biggrin:

I know some people that stay in the Clive Booth post-graduate halls who have really enjoyed living there with other like-minded students. It is entirely up to you if you wanted to rent a room near campus rather than choosing halls- here is the link for the accommodation website if you want to have a look https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/

You are right to say that Oxford is quite an expensive city but there are loads of deals for students at restaurants and bars so you never end up paying the full price and it is always possible to get a job!

I hope I have helped you with your decision and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and someone from the university will get back to you:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Oxford Brookes Student Ambassadors
Hello!

Thank you for your message. I'm a Student Ambassador at Oxford Brookes and a 1st year Nursing student so I would say that Brookes would be a better choice than Brunel! :biggrin: I have had placements at two of the big hospitals in Oxford so far and I have learnt so much from both of them.

Obviously I have not done the physio programme but I have friends who are doing the course and love it! Self-directed study is something that you have to do at all universities but it is not something to worry about because all the teachers are really helpful if you get stuck! There are also subject-specific librarians at the Headington Campus who can help you to find all the relevant literature you need to do a piece of work.

There are many resources at Marston Road for students, like practical labs, computer rooms and even a student kitchen! You are right that it is not as modern as the Headington Campus, however I think the architecture of the building is quite nice! :smile:

The atmosphere at Oxford Brookes for students is great because there is so much going on with hundreds of societies and activities run by the Student Union. I think it is amazing to live in Oxford as well because there is so much going on in the city (shopping, museums etc) and it is really easy to get to other places like London from there :biggrin:

I know some people that stay in the Clive Booth post-graduate halls who have really enjoyed living there with other like-minded students. It is entirely up to you if you wanted to rent a room near campus rather than choosing halls- here is the link for the accommodation website if you want to have a look https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/

You are right to say that Oxford is quite an expensive city but there are loads of deals for students at restaurants and bars so you never end up paying the full price and it is always possible to get a job!

I hope I have helped you with your decision and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and someone from the university will get back to you:smile:

Hey, thanks for your reply!

I was under the impression that Brunel’s physio program doesn’t really use self-directed learning. When I asked in my interview, they said that everything I need to know is taught face-to-face (this does not include studying and research for exams/assignments).. which has been a big attraction for me coming from a traditional style of learning. Do you know more about this?

Also, can you elaborate on what self-directed learning entails (ie weekly classroom vs independent learning hours, daily/weekly tasks)?
Original post by Steveche101
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I was under the impression that Brunel’s physio program doesn’t really use self-directed learning. When I asked in my interview, they said that everything I need to know is taught face-to-face (this does not include studying and research for exams/assignments).. which has been a big attraction for me coming from a traditional style of learning. Do you know more about this?

Also, can you elaborate on what self-directed learning entails (ie weekly classroom vs independent learning hours, daily/weekly tasks)?

Hi again- I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Brunel’s physio programme I would probably look on their website for more information :smile:

The self-directed study on my course involves studying the slides for the lecture before it takes place and completing any pre-session work for a seminar or practical, like a set of questions. I am not sure if physiotherapy has placements like my nursing course so it is difficult for me to say how many classroom and independent learning hours of study you have to do per week- you might be able to find out on the course website https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/physiotherapy-pre-registration/

Let me know if you have any more questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible!
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Brookes Student Ambassadors
Hi again- I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Brunel’s physio programme I would probably look on their website for more information :smile:

The self-directed study on my course involves studying the slides for the lecture before it takes place and completing any pre-session work for a seminar or practical, like a set of questions. I am not sure if physiotherapy has placements like my nursing course so it is difficult for me to say how many classroom and independent learning hours of study you have to do per week- you might be able to find out on the course website https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/physiotherapy-pre-registration/

Let me know if you have any more questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for the info!
Reply 5
Hey!

Congrats on all your offers. Brunel and Oxford are two of the schools I've been accepted into for MSc Physio as well.

I am an international student as well, and it took a long time for me to come to a decision on which program I would pick.

The point you made on the difference in style of learning was a big thing for me as well.

From asking around it seems like Brunel is better for your clinical experience.

In the MSc Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy programs at Brunel specifically, I've been told there are many American and Canadian students.

I went a small school for my undergrad and let me tell you, your student experience is all about putting yourself out there, being sociable, and working hard. I'm sure you'll have a great experience wherever you choose.

Living off campus will usually be cheaper option and it is what I decided to go with at Brunel.

Good luck with your decisions!
Reply 6
Thanks for the feedback! I have been lucky to receive an offer from a local uni, so I won't be attending OBU/Brunel. Good luck and all the best with your studies!
Reply 7
Brunel any day. The stuff about Uxbridge being dirty etc is rubbish. It’s a very diverse area with lots going on, shops etc also lots of companies there. Oxford I agree is more cultural and it has Oxford uni nearby which kind of rubs off off a bit. Brunel has a Very nice campus! Oxford Brookes on the other hand is an ex polytechnic, whilst Brunel is a much older more established university. They’re not in the same league at all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Good luck!
Original post by Rugbee
Brunel any day. The stuff about Uxbridge being dirty etc is rubbish. It’s a very diverse area with lots going on, shops etc also lots of companies there. Oxford I agree is more cultural and it has Oxford uni nearby which kind of rubs off off a bit. Brunel has a Very nice campus! Oxford Brookes on the other hand is an ex polytechnic, whilst Brunel is a much older more established university. They’re not in the same league at all.

What a biased post? Brookes has been a uni for many year and is far better than Brunel. Uxbridge is pretty grim, compared to Oxford!
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
What a biased post? Brookes has been a uni for many year and is far better than Brunel. Uxbridge is pretty grim, compared to Oxford!

Brookes was formerly a polytechnic and became a university in 1992. Brunel university was founded in 1966 (plate glass). Nothing biased about that, its just fact.
Oxford and Uxbridge are two very different towns. Oxford like i said offers more in terms of culture. Uxbridge is more metropolitan with more commercial & retail establishments. But this will be good in terms of job finding for a student (if they want to) and its a hell of a lot closer to London, infact considered part of greater London.

According to the Complete University guide Brunel ranks at no 50 in the league tables, whilst Brookes is ranked no 66. You do the Maths!
Original post by Rugbee
Brookes was formerly a polytechnic and became a university in 1992. Brunel university was founded in 1966 (plate glass). Nothing biased about that, its just fact.
Oxford and Uxbridge are two very different towns. Oxford like i said offers more in terms of culture. Uxbridge is more metropolitan with more commercial & retail establishments. But this will be good in terms of job finding for a student (if they want to) and its a hell of a lot closer to London, infact considered part of greater London.

According to the Complete University guide Brunel ranks at no 50 in the league tables, whilst Brookes is ranked no 66. You do the Maths!

Brookes is the number 1 new university - it was not 'just' a Poly but an amalgamation of several institutions - look it up. Many people would call Brunel a new uni - it's not a red brick or elite is it? Oxford has lots of industry - the mini plant for example and it's near the golden triangle.

Student experience in Oxford is FAR better and a much nicer place to live - less than an hour to London and without the air pollution.

16 places in flawed League tables is meaningless.
Reply 12
Sorry to disappoint you you again, but Brookes really was just a polytechnic like any other. Almost all of the new universities (1992) were amalgamations of various institutions, Brookes is not special in that respect. OP didn’t ask wether Brunel was ‘red brick’ or ‘elite’, infact I said it was ‘plate glass’, but based on your comments, you clearly don’t understand what that means.
OP wanted to know which between Brunel and Brookes was the better uni and Brunel wins hands down. They didn’t ask which was the top university out of the new Unis of 1992, so your point about Brookes being no 1 is a moot point.

The university league tables you scoff at are what most people in the U.K. use to determine University’s profiles alongside course rankings etc. It seems ironical though, that you hold the rankings of the old polys where Brookes comes first as authentic.
Hey all, I’m a Canadian student living in Canada, and applied to UK universities for MSc Physiotherapy pre-reg programs. I have been accepted to Oxford Brookes, Brunel, Manchester Metropolitan, Queen Margaret and Glasgow Caledonian. Was also waitlisted at Brighton. I would have loved to apply to Birmingham, Bradford and Southampton as well for their reputations, but the tuition was considerably more than the other uni’s for international students (like an extra 8,000GBP/year).

I have decided that I want to be somewhat near London for travelling reasons, and a childhood friend of mine lives in central London, so I have narrowed it down to Oxford Brookes and Brunel. Can anyone share their experiences or knowledge with these schools?

I haven’t visited either uni only places I’ve been to in the UK are London and Canterbury. Some pros/cons I’ve been thinking of:

Oxford Brookes:
-A peer of mine attended and graduated the MSc physio program here she enjoyed it but also mentioned that there’s a lot of self-directed learning, which scares me a bit as someone who has done traditional learning their whole life, how would self-directed be?
-I’ve heard the health sciences building is at Marston Road and isn’t renovated like Headington campus how good are the resources for physio students?
-Clive Booth post-graduate halls (likely my option for 1st year) is approx 8151.50GBP for the year.

Brunel:
-Have heard that Uxbridge is not the greatest city dirty and boring are words I’ve seen tossed around. Can anyone comment on this? I don’t want to be in a depressing environment for 2 years I want to enjoy the international experience!
-Traditional style of learning (what you need to know is taught face to face this does not include homework and research for assignments of course)
-I’ve heard that Brunel physio students are known to have good clinical skills in the London area. Practical skills are important to me, as the practical exam to obtain a license in Canada is known to be very tough.
-I’ve been told in my interview that there are also a bunch of Canadians studying this program
-I’ve read that the building for health sciences (Mary Seacole) is very new and dedicated physio resources are really great
-Potential to do clinicals in great hospitals and facilities with central London / other London areas
-The nicest post-grad hall option is Faraday hall, which is 7982.52GBP for the year
-Tuition is 13,200 (with the Dean’s scholarship for international students that I have received)

When I first applied to these schools, I leaned towards Oxford Brookes for the student life, but leaned towards Brunel for the program. Now I don't know what to think as my thoughts are all mixed up!

I also thought living as a student in Oxford at Oxford Brookes would be cheaper, but it seems halls and tuition are higher than Brunel!

As a side note, would it be in my interest to look into renting a room in a house near campus rather than choosing halls?

Hi! Thanks so much for considering Brookes and congrats on your offer!

I’ve seen a few people on this thread throwing around comments about stats and rankings as well as the age of the uni and worried about facilities etc. So I thought I’d clear a few things up :smile:

Starting with ‘Prestige’ and rankings:
If you're worried about the 'names' of universities affecting your future I have to say that I personally believe that a good classification degree with plenty of work experience and showing passion for your career or subject is more important than a degree from any university in particular. For me and I also believe a lot of employers, it’s far more important that you are a well rounded person than someone with a degree from a ‘prestigious’ uni.
To help students who may want to work abroad after university we not only use traditional degree classifications (1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc.) but we also use GPA which is internationally recognised. Here's some more information: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/students/y...point-average/
We also ave some pretty impressive ranking ourselves though!
Brookes is the UK’s #1 university for teaching and research in THE Young University rankings 2018.
Brookes is the only UK uni ranked in the QS University World Rankings Top 50 Under 50.
We have risen 16 places in the guardian league table in the past two years.
And we are “among the world’s top universities” in 14 subjects according to the QS world rankings.

At Brookes we are also investing a lot into our uni at the moment to ensure that student have the best facilities possible. You can check out the plans here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/space-to-t...vestment-plan/

Choosing a Uni is a very personal decision, just because one person loves a uni for certain reasons doesn’t mean another person will find those same reasons important. I would really recommend checking out some of the ‘virtual tours’ of our campuses on our website and to get in touch with the Physio department for a clearer insight into your course if you need one. The contact details are here: [email protected]

Again, I really hope this has cleared a few things up and hope this helps you in your decision.

Best of luck,
Catrin
Student Ambassador :smile:
Reply 14

Oxford Brookes:

Brunel:

Hey mate,

Not sure if you've decided yet - but definitely go with the better program as opposed to the better city. The student experience will be what you make of it at either uni, if you make an effort and get involved you'll enjoy it in either place.

What you have to think about is how you learn best (self directed or not) and which program is going to help you pass the Canadian exam when you get back and become a good practitioner.

Self directed study for me is an excuse for unis to save money on teaching staff and contact hours. I'm sure OB will give you the resources you need to learn, but you have to do most of it yourself, which makes the uni experience quite strange in my opinion - sitting in your apartment or going to the library everyday instead of class, and having to work through videos of lectures or articles or textbooks etc. Most placement educators tell me it breeds lazy physios because you end up learning the bare minimum, and you'll definitely be behind in your anatomy knowledge. However, some people dont learn well in a classroom environment with endless powerpoint lectures - so thats a personal decision.

My advice is choose the program with the most contact hours, but also go on facebook and talk to people who are in the program currently or have completed it recently. Youll get the best answers from them - as opposed to an agenda driven response from a student ambassador that sounds like a marketing website testimonial. Seriously embarassing reading that.
Original post by K_rrar
Hey mate,

Not sure if you've decided yet - but definitely go with the better program as opposed to the better city. The student experience will be what you make of it at either uni, if you make an effort and get involved you'll enjoy it in either place.

What you have to think about is how you learn best (self directed or not) and which program is going to help you pass the Canadian exam when you get back and become a good practitioner.

Self directed study for me is an excuse for unis to save money on teaching staff and contact hours. I'm sure OB will give you the resources you need to learn, but you have to do most of it yourself, which makes the uni experience quite strange in my opinion - sitting in your apartment or going to the library everyday instead of class, and having to work through videos of lectures or articles or textbooks etc. Most placement educators tell me it breeds lazy physios because you end up learning the bare minimum, and you'll definitely be behind in your anatomy knowledge. However, some people dont learn well in a classroom environment with endless powerpoint lectures - so thats a personal decision.

My advice is choose the program with the most contact hours, but also go on facebook and talk to people who are in the program currently or have completed it recently. Youll get the best answers from them - as opposed to an agenda driven response from a student ambassador that sounds like a marketing website testimonial. Seriously embarassing reading that.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry you feel that way about my opinions about Brookes.

Just so you know everything posted my Student Ambassadors on here is our own opinion written in our own time and has nothing to do with marketing or ‘agendas’ etc. We’re just here spending our own time to help out people.

Everything I say about Brookes is true and effected my decision about whether to come to this uni so I’m sharing the facts with others to help them out too. We’re not here to market the uni to people, just to help people out with our own personal experiences.

All the best,
Catrin :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending