The Student Room Group

My mum doesn’t like the college I like

My mum wants me to go to a private performing arts college and is willing to pay for it but I want to go to a normal college and get my a levels before going to performing arts school. For me there’s more pros to go to the college I want but my mum has already paid £3000 for me to go to the other one. I want to do what makes me happy but my mum wants nothing to do with me if I go to the other college and waste her money.
Why does she want you to go to the private performing arts college so much? Is there a mutual family member who can talk to her on your behalf?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Why does she want you to go to the private performing arts college so much? Is there a mutual family member who can talk to her on your behalf?

Nobody wants to get involved. She’s invested a lot of money and time into helping me go to dance but it’s never been my decision.
OP, I'm sorry you're in this situation. All I can say is don't sacrifice your future just to make someone else satisfied. Speak to your mum about it calmly and say that although you're really grateful she's willing to spend so much money, the performing arts college just isn't for you. She may feel hurt and like you're throwing it back in her face, but she will calm down eventually and realise your happiness is paramount. It's your life, not hers, she's got to let you live it.
I am so sorry that you're in this situation because it's not easy, but you have to do what you want to do, honestly. My mum kicked off about the A Levels I was choosing, so I changed them to please her, and I hated the ones she made me choose. It didn't help me get into uni, and hasn't had any helpful impact on my life. I so regret not just standing up for myself and doing what I wanted to do, but it was very hard - as you're now finding out!

Sit down with her and tell her calmly why you want to do what you want to do, and say she has to let you find your own way in life. Her dreams are not your dreams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending