The Student Room Group

UCAS Personal statement

If I extracted one or two sentences from a book that I've read and put into my personal statement, is that considered as plagiarism?
Original post by val314
If I extracted one or two sentences from a book that I've read and put into my personal statement, is that considered as plagiarism?

Of course it's not :smile: You're allowed to use further reading in your personal statement but don't just copy and use your own thoughts on the part you've read in the book.
You'd have to reference it I'm pretty sure(i.e. the sentence ______ from ______ or x said that____) but yes you can have phrases.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by madmirrors
Of course it's not :smile: You're allowed to use further reading in your personal statement but don't just copy and use your own thoughts on the part you've read in the book.

Thank you, but will the copy catch system detect it? (words from books and ted talks)
Original post by val314
Thank you, but will the copy catch system detect it? (words from books and ted talks)

Of course not, but don't copy whole sentences or paragraphs from other sources though just as precaution. I used sources in my personal statement as an undergraduate and never got done for plagiarism.
Original post by madmirrors
Of course not, but don't copy whole sentences or paragraphs from other sources though just as precaution. I used sources in my personal statement as an undergraduate and never got done for plagiarism.

Thank you for your reply, I feel so much relieved now :smile:
Original post by val314
Thank you for your reply, I feel so much relieved now :smile:

No problem. The plagiarism checker on UCAS is designed to catch out people who copy other people's personal statements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending