The Student Room Group

Seize the Grades! CinnamonSmol's Last Grasp (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurawatt
:lovehug:

:colondollar:
Original post by Z A R A
Totally!

yay!:biggrin: If you have any questions about the course I'll love to help! Or even if you just want to discuss our texts then that would be super useful too :smile:
Original post by CinnamonSmol
thank you so much, it honestly means so much to feel supported, Im feeling a lot better now! I hope things are going okay for you too:u:

At the time of writing this reply, I'm feeling quite tired and under the weather - think I've caught a cold. I'm still struggling with economics and it's the worst of my three subjects. My teacher is supportive and clearly wants me to do well (and so do I!) but he does tend to rush over the lesson and I hate it when he assumes we know everything leaving a few people like me just lost and scratching our heads. I was meant to have a weekly intervention session after school today but it was cancelled (again) as he has parents evening at the sister school (he teaches in two schools) so he said to complete a worksheet on elasticity calculations which was alright but I was a bit rusty - there was one question I found particularly difficult until a classmate explained it to me and I've managed to get my head around it.

In terms of UCAS application, I got my personal statement draft back from my form tutor and although I'm over the limit, his feedback has been exceptionally helpful and he suggested a few useful things I could include to make my points punchier and just clear from the beginning why I want to study history and politics. It didn't help when my HoY, MHI, asked me when I was going to submit my UCAS application and he said my previous draft was fine (something I disagree with as my UAO did my head in when she tore that apart). Hopefully, I'll be in a position to get that sorted by the end of next week. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
At the time of writing this reply, I'm feeling quite tired and under the weather - think I've caught a cold. I'm still struggling with economics and it's the worst of my three subjects. My teacher is supportive and clearly wants me to do well (and so do I!) but he does tend to rush over the lesson and I hate it when he assumes we know everything leaving a few people like me just lost and scratching our heads. I was meant to have a weekly intervention session after school today but it was cancelled (again) as he has parents evening at the sister school (he teaches in two schools) so he said to complete a worksheet on elasticity calculations which was alright but I was a bit rusty - there was one question I found particularly difficult until a classmate explained it to me and I've managed to get my head around it.

In terms of UCAS application, I got my personal statement draft back from my form tutor and although I'm over the limit, his feedback has been exceptionally helpful and he suggested a few useful things I could include to make my points punchier and just clear from the beginning why I want to study history and politics. It didn't help when my HoY, MHI, asked me when I was going to submit my UCAS application and he said my previous draft was fine (something I disagree with as my UAO did my head in when she tore that apart). Hopefully, I'll be in a position to get that sorted by the end of next week. :smile:

I hate when teachers speed ahead despite the rest of the class needing more time! My stuarts teacher is like that, however she did tell us to let her know if she's going too fast (but I feel like I dont mind going fast at the moment, we're at a period where theres a lot of boring things happening at once that I'll just need to cover again it in my own time) have you tried out Crash Course videos for economics? Maybe they'll have something on there?

And well done on your draft! I definitely found it easier to cut down on chrarcters when youve written everything you need to and you just need to rephrase parts, how many characters are you over by?

I hope your cold leaves you soon, please dont get too frustrated! (colds are the worst because you literally just have to wait it out :frown: sad times)
I hate when teachers speed ahead despite the rest of the class needing more time! My stuarts teacher is like that, however she did tell us to let her know if she's going too fast (but I feel like I dont mind going fast at the moment, we're at a period where theres a lot of boring things happening at once that I'll just need to cover again it in my own time) have you tried out Crash Course videos for economics? Maybe they'll have something on there?

And well done on your draft! I definitely found it easier to cut down on chrarcters when youve written everything you need to and you just need to rephrase parts, how many characters are you over by?

I hope your cold leaves you soon, please dont get too frustrated! (colds are the worst because you literally just have to wait it out :frown: sad times)

I'm currently using Seneca Learning which is good for Economics if you want to quickly revise a topic/do some pre-reading but I do find myself adding in a few extras for my own notes. EconPlusDal is good but mostly for exam techniques I'd say.

I'm think I'm 3 lines over IIRC, I'll check it again when I return from my gym workout with an old friend of mine I've known for a long time.

Thankfully the cold has left me but will look after myself. :smile:
06/11/18: coursework (TSR pls dont crash on me a 3rd time :frown:)
Hi all! I decided to update as I have a few things to talk about and also wanted to thank everyone for cheering me up from my previous post, it really meant a lot:heart: so without further ado....let us begin!

English: Last week was just watching streetcar named desire and other filler work, however today I recieved back 2 marks for a Great Gatsby assessment we did last week under timed conditions. :stomp: I recieved 19/25 on my recast (despite thinking I did terribly!) and 22/30 on my commentary. As my teacher is an examiner I trust her marking :smile: I thought that these 2 grades would work out to be B's, however it turns out that because lit/lang is marked more harshly, 70% usually equates to an A! that means that some of my previous grades may have been higher than I thought:biggrin: I'm not going to change it on the list of marks I get on tests on my original post because I like progression sooooo:tongue:

History: So sometime this week we should be recieving back our first draft of NEAs, I know that my teacher is super harsh when marking so hopefully it'll be useful! I dont mind what he says, as long as I get the grade that I want in the end:redface: On Nazi Germany side, we're learning about propoganda during 1933-39 and its actually so fascinatingly horrifying at the same time. Its crazy to think that a regime like that occured less than a centenary ago, let alone that some places like North Korea and china still act in these ways whilst Trump paralells sm w/ Hitler...yikes:eek4: For Stuarts, we're going at a very very fast pace, I feel like I definitely need to get on top of my notes from this and last year, its just that I keep prioritising graphics that I havent had time. I definitely need to make a conscious effort to stop though! Our trials are in 3 weeks and I'm throughly unprepared, however Im going to try and see it as a learning experience and try and develop from it. ahhhhhh everything is happening at once its hard to keep on top of everything !

Graphics: Today I had my deadline for my sketchbook which is worth 24 out of 120 marks, thats 20% of the 60% of our course....I dont know the maths of how that works out :colondollar: It was super stressful and I missed a lot of my free time on it however I'm overall pleased with how it looks, I just hope I get 24/24 or at least 20+ marks, because I personally believe that I truly truly deserve it lmao. (I still have 1 piece to complete but becasue Im using it for my magazine project, I convinced my graphics teacher to give me more time hehe:colone:) I am kind of scared that we're returning to the 96/120 marks of our coursework again, as I'm so behind on it and now that I finished 1 sketchbook, I've realised that I hate the layout of the main one. yikes :frown: somehow I'll try and turn it around but I ultimately need to try and cut down on the amount of time I sacrifice my other subjects for Graphics as I definitely need to glow up in History if I want to achieve anything close to a B! I have an assessment tomorrow in Stuarts but I know that I haven't been on top of everythign so I dont expect much tbh. I love graphics but if my effort doesnt correlate to the grades I get then I wont be happy. I dont want to JUST get an A. I want a high A and more preferably (which is everyones dream!) an A*!:u:

In terms of UCAS, I asked my tutor to check where my college is at w my application so tomorrow I should hopefully find out. I'm going to the King Power stadium tonight to pay tribute (I live in LESTAH so its extra devastating even a week later!) that means I probably wont get much history done today, esp for tomorrows assessment :frown: but tomorrow onwards I intend to try and knuckle down and crack on w notes for both subjects, hopefully exam questions and also coursework. (so many things for history omg) we shall see!:fight:I'm also planning to go to athens with the Classics students (2 of my summer school friends are going) in february which should be lovely! it'll be a nice way to get me though this year and a treat before the hard work of exams afterwards!This post felt very cathartic(despite the many times I wrote it out) here's to proudctiveity!

tagged boiis

Spoiler

:yy:

Your teacher probably does want to know if the pace is too fast, I think it's a common thing that students are reluctant to say so.
Good luck with your sketchbook, although it is only 12% :tongue:, I can absolutely relate with having to sacrifice too much time for one subject... damn FM.
:hugs:
also if you write out the post on word (or something similar) and then copy+paste it across :yep:
have fun with your sketchbook!
don't actually type out your update on the tsr editor, it almost always crashes in the middle :redface:
Original post by Sinnoh
:yy:

Your teacher probably does want to know if the pace is too fast, I think it's a common thing that students are reluctant to say so.
Good luck with your sketchbook, although it is only 12% :tongue:, I can absolutely relate with having to sacrifice too much time for one subject... damn FM.

(I don't mind the pace being fast at the moment, simply bc the period that we're doing hasn't got a lot going on so we're skipping through the years faster than year 12 --although I did have 7 different teachers for year 12 so maybe I'm just not used to consistent teaching:colondollar:)

thanks so much for doing the maths!:tongue: It makes it even more depressing that its just over 12% but hey, maybe it'll push my mark up so I guess I can't complain too much:biggrin: but yeah, I know we shouldn't be sacrificing our other subjects for another one but for me I know I can get an A in graphics I just need to keep putting time and effort in but anywho, this week Im going to try and prioritise history!
Original post by laurawatt
:hugs:
also if you write out the post on word (or something similar) and then copy+paste it across :yep:

............that makes so much more sense:colondollar: THANK YOU FOR THAT HACK!:tongue: (PRSOM) <3
Original post by nyxnko_
have fun with your sketchbook!
don't actually type out your update on the tsr editor, it almost always crashes in the middle :redface:

you'd think that after my 10th time I'd have learnt my lesson...oops! (and thank you! We got our giant A2 sketchbooks back and now im sad again because Ive realised how behind I am....also bc I love my other sketchbook way more in terms of layout:redface:)
you'd think that after my 10th time I'd have learnt my lesson...oops! (and thank you! We got our giant A2 sketchbooks back and now im sad again because Ive realised how behind I am....also bc I love my other sketchbook way more in terms of layout:redface:)

:rofl: Next time you want to write a post, take out Word/Notepad or whatever immediately :yes:
You can do it!! :rave:
Original post by nyxnko_
:rofl: Next time you want to write a post, take out Word/Notepad or whatever immediately :yes:
You can do it!! :rave:

thank you my lovely!:h::suith:
Hey, would it be possible if I could join this journey?
Original post by Tolgarda
Hey, would it be possible if I could join this journey?(

(sorry for the late reply, of course! :smile: you've been added x
17/11/18: Guess who decided to turn up?:hi:

Hello all, this week has been eventful, kind of. So I still haven’t received my NEA feedback yet, despite handing it in on time, as well as the fact that other classes have had theirs sent back. Fun times.:grumble: My UCAS application STILL hasn’t been sent off by my college which is really irking me since I gave it in early and they’ve approved of all my details, they literally need to just attach my reference (which has been written) and send it off!!:angry: I guess I should be a bit grateful that my application is at a closer stage to being sent off than some people but I honestly just hate all of this waiting.:frown:

English, we have just started Streetcar Named Desire....its an okay book but it’s so boring to linguistically analyse, same with Gatsby. My lessons are beginning to drag now, but I need to just hold it together.:backstab:

As for Graphics, I’m still behind (surprise surprise) but I’m not too anxious or stressed about it bevause I know that somehow, I’ll eventually get it all done. Which is weird seeing as I’m always in a constant state of angst when it comes to GD.:biggrin:

History, I received 2 grades back this week from both sides of the course. They were both on extract/source questions and it was great to actually trust my teachers marking. In stuarts I got 5/10, a D and Nazi Germany, I got 6/10, a C. These probably look awful but I feel a bit happy?? Lmao. :flute:I know where I went wrong –I don’t develop my points as much in NG and in the SB question, I forgot the dates of the events so tried to incorporate own knowledge without stating the specific year of the events oops. Whilst I can rewrite my answers, I think I’m going to practise on writing up my notes since mocks are up soon. Which I know, is bad bc exam practise is still v important too, but I do need the actual knowledge before I write anything. (I also got 10/14 on a pop quiz...I got me a cheeky monster sticker wooo!) :pwnd:

Overall, I need to just put my head down and try and slowly chip away at everything in class. I've moved seats in History bc the girl I sit next to bullied my twin sister, and I also used to talk to some of the girls in my other 2 classes who basically publicly attacked and humiliated her last week so I'm not speaking to any of them either. I'll use this as motivation to do extra well just so they can be like 'ughh i wish i spent less time bullying people and more time getting good grades'. revising out of pettiness is kind of my expertise...hence going from an E to full marks in History gcse lmao...maybe this is exactly what I need:colondollar:

Anywho.....I’ve got quite a lot to do and little energy to do it, so I should probably leave....adios nerds!:u:

Key Dates:
6th December 2018: History Mock
13th December 2018: English Mock
2nd 4th January 2019: Work Experience
15th January 2019: Driving Test
8th February 2019: Graphics Coursework Deadline
16th 19th February 2019: Athens Trip
21st May 2019: Stuarts Exam Paper
23rd May 2019: English Exam Paper 1
3rd June 2019: English Exam Paper 2
5th June 2019: Nazi Germany Exam Paper
Tagged cuties:heart:

Spoiler

@Lemur14 sorry to be bothering you with my lack of knowledge w technology:colondollar: it says 'undefined' on the users above when I tagged them...does that mean anything?
:hello:
You can do it :rave:
Interesting form of motivation, but if it works for you? :dontknow: :laugh:
Glad you got to move places though :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending