The Student Room Group

Going swimming alone as a beginner

So I’ve just learnt to swim via adult swimming lessons (haven’t braved the deep end yet as haven’t tried to float), my breathing isn’t brilliant but I can do widths with front crawl.

I’m looking into going to the pool when it’s free swimming in the evening (8/9ish) - do you think it will be busy?

Also, I have a nice figure (size 10-12) but I’d really like to tone up my abs, bum and legs, I’m thinking of going swimming either everyday or every other day - is this too much? I don’t want to take it too far however I do really enjoy swimming and I feel this is a sport where I can exercise while actually enjoying it.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Reply 1
Lol I swim a ton and I still have no muscle maybe go to the gym. Swimming is mainly a cardio thing. Still learn tho!
Original post by AKB2000
Lol I swim a ton and I still have no muscle maybe go to the gym. Swimming is mainly a cardio thing. Still learn tho!

I’m not after muscle just to lose belly fat/cellulite?
Reply 3
Thats great, i hope youre enjoying swimming. For breathing i would just suggest when doing front crawl really practice breathing to the side if you havent already. So start off with a float and practice turning your head to the side.
The pool shouldnt be busy around this time and when i go sometimes at 7 its usually just adults but that depends on where you go.
Try going swimming every other day first and then once you know your body wont ache, go every day. Dw about going alone. Many people come swimming alone and you might even end up making friends. If you dont want to go alone try asking a friend or siblings to go with you.
All the best!!
At that time it will be very quiet.
I'd swim as often as you want to, I'd start with every other day or a couple of times a week at first before building up to each day
Reply 5
Stick to the shallow end until you're a bit more confident. People easily forget what is was like before they could swim.
Reply 6
Original post by pukkapie
I’m not after muscle just to lose belly fat/cellulite?

Ummm, idk tbh, if your learning I’m unsure if it’s the best way to burn fat because I swim like 60 lengths and it still takes a while to burn fat. By all means learn it’s great when you can swim because when u get the body your proud of and go for a sea swim you will feel so fricken good about yourself I can’t even explain. But to burn fat try a combination of steady cardio (endurance) so maybe running cycling or a sport, HIIT training, I do this alone in a gym with their equipment it’s less painful, and then a little bit of muscle because muscles = higher metabolism, higher metabolism = more fat burn, also just eat a healthy diet where you enjoy the food, so you end up enjoying this whole situation as it’s really fun to work hard towards something and see the results.
Reply 7
It might be a bit busy at that time as people have come back from work and they may want to go for a swim (but then again, they may be tired so it might be empty). Best time in my opinion is morning, or before 6Pm after coming home from school. There aren't many people there at that time.

It depends on how you swim e.g. casual, fast etc. You also have to learn different strokes like backstroke, breaststroke etc. You may also want to try getting a small float and practice just kicking lengths with it (I found this really difficult).

I used to go swimming for about 5 hours a week, but it was very rigorous as all I used to do was lengths. This, along with other sports kept me in shape.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest