The Student Room Group

Is it bad to want a richer boyfriend?

I come from a poor background.

I met this guy at Oxford that I really clicked with.

I’ve clicked with people before in the past but always resisted as I have a bf of 2 years.

Not only is he great, but he’s very financially secure. He already owns outright a gorgeous flat in Zone 1. He won’t ever really have to worry about money, and enjoys the sort of lifestyle I would if I could afford it. We have similar interests, more so than myself and my current bf.

Is it bad to consider going on a date or two with him whilst keeping my current bf for now?

Scroll to see replies

if you're considering going with a different guy to the one you're with then you're already done with your current bf.
not at all but you are a gold digger :smile:
classless behaviour.

nothing wrong w wanting a financially stable SO but straight up cheating? nah
Yes! Going on a date with him while having a boyfriend is cheating!
the fact that you even consider this means that you do not love your boyfriend and honestly, you should break up with him instead of wasting his and your time!

To be frank, trying to be with someone just because he has money is in my opinion disgusting! Even if you have similar interests, the fact that you want to be with him because of his financial situation will only end up hurting you and him! I'm not trying to be mean and attack you, I am just stating my opinion, but in the end it's your decision.
It's fine to want a financially stable boyfriend/husband/etc. But you shouldn't be cheating (even going on a date), on your current boyfriend.
Reply 6
can i be honest with you? this boy with money doesn't want to be in a relationship with you. boys with money want a girlfriend who are financially in the same league, so, at best, he'll sleep with you a few times till be gets bored. is it really worth it to you?
Please go on the date with the well off young man.

Take your opportunities in life when they come.

Ignore anyone who says "You're just a gold digger". That's just stupid rubbish thinking.

If this relatively wealthy man turns out to be a git, I'm sure you'd drop him like a stone.

But chances are, he's not a git. Chances are, he has at least as nice a character as your current boyfriend.

Don't worry about two-timing your boyfriend. Do what's best for you. You might want to consider dumping your current boyfriend now. If things don't work out between you and Mr Zone 1 Flat, you can always get another new boyfriend.
Original post by Anonymous

I’ve clicked with people before in the past but always resisted as I have a bf of 2 years.

Not only is he great, but he’s very financially secure. He already owns outright a gorgeous flat in Zone 1. He won’t ever really have to worry about money, and enjoys the sort of lifestyle I would if I could afford it. We have similar interests, more so than myself and my current bf.

Is it bad to consider going on a date or two with him whilst keeping my current bf for now?

No it is not bad, but it is bad to cheat, even if you did not sleep with him your still going out with him and I am sure your boyfriend would object. BTW some guys will chat so much rubbish just to get laid so be careful.

You sound like a bad girlfriend for even thinking like this, I feel sorry for your bf.

WTF!!! What has the society come to?! Date a guy whilst you have been with the current one for 2 years. This is messed up! Low morals! Grow up girl! Have you no shame?
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Please go on the date with the well off young man.

Take your opportunities in life when they come.

Ignore anyone who says "You're just a gold digger". That's just stupid rubbish thinking.

If this relatively wealthy man turns out to be a git, I'm sure you'd drop him like a stone.

But chances are, he's not a git. Chances are, he has at least as nice a character as your current boyfriend.

Don't worry about two-timing your boyfriend. Do what's best for you. You might want to consider dumping your current boyfriend now. If things don't work out between you and Mr Zone 1 Flat, you can always get another new boyfriend.

Why do you have this viewpoint? Have you had unfortunate life experiences that have made you think **** whats morally right anymore? Curious.
Reply 11
Translation: I am too much of a coward to break up with my boyfriend.
Dictionary definition of a gold digger.
Reply 13
We got that gold digger

What else do you look for in a guy?

A Gucci handbag?
Original post by une rock
i see we're legitimately encouraging cheating in the year of our lord 2009. amazing.
Yes, in this case I am.

This rich young man is not going to stay single for long. The OP should grab her chance with both hands.

Opportunities like this might come along only once in a lifetime.
Gits yo own money, byaaaaaaaaaaaaatch!!!!
Reply 16
srsly? no that would be cheating....
Why do you have this viewpoint? Have you had unfortunate life experiences that have made you think **** whats morally right anymore? Curious.
I have this viewpoint because I'm recommending what's best for the OP.

If the OP were my sister I'd recommend the same thing.

People who live as goody two shoes all their lives tend to acheive less than those that bend the rules from time to time.

I'm not going to get on my high moral hobby horse over a student going on a couple of dates with a new man when she already has a boyfriend.
What she's contemplating doing is not illegal.

I don't think its 'bad' to want a financially stable partner, but going on a date with this guy whilst you have a boyfriend is straight up cheating. It's not fair on your current boyfriend.
If you're not happy with you current relationship, you should do the right thing and break up with him instead of cheating on him. He doesn't deserve it, especially considering you've been together for two years.
Reply 19
No loyalty or ambition. That’s kinda cruel of you ngl. You should always be beside your partner regardless of any situation but do what’s best for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending