The Student Room Group

Acne

How do you deal with acne?
How should I cure my acne?
I have suffered with acne for 2 years, it is located mainly on my forehead and I would like some advice of how to finally clear it... thanks in advance!
Anyones personal experience or advice is appreciated.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

drink water, flush out the impurities with brute force. expect to piddle a lot.
Go see your GP about it. Many of the products in the supermarket do not work. Depending on the severity of your acne they will either give you some cream or send you for further appointments for accutane medication.
Back in secondary school, I used something called Epiduo which got rid of 95-99% of my acne.

BUT there's a better solution

Drink plenty of water. I basically only drink water and honestly, my skin has never looked better.
Reply 4
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
drink water, flush out the impurities with brute force. expect to piddle a lot.

Thanks for the advice lol, yeah I probably don’t drink enough but I do try. Lemon is apperently good to add also, so I’ve heard
Water, water and more water. At least 3L per day.

Make sure you change your pillow cases often.

Use clean towels.
Original post by Niamh12345m
How do you deal with acne?
How should I cure my acne?
I have suffered with acne for 2 years and would like some advice of how to finally clear it... thanks in advance!

I'd probably see a doctor as there could be underlying issues considering the fact you've had it for 2 years.They may be able to give you something for it.
Other than that, make sure you're eating sufficient fruit and veg, drink plenty of water :smile:
If you wear makeup, you should try to clean your brushes/sponges on a regular basis, to prevent a build up of product which could be causing your skin to break out more :smile:
Accutane, people ********ting you with loads and loads of water.
Reply 8
Original post by ForeverAQx
I'd probably see a doctor as there could be underlying issues considering the fact you've had it for 2 years.They may be able to give you something for it.
Other than that, make sure you're eating sufficient fruit and veg, drink plenty of water :smile:
If you wear makeup, you should try to clean your brushes/sponges on a regular basis, to prevent a build up of product which could be causing your skin to break out more :smile:

Thank you for your response I am on a course of antibiotics at the moment and have been for around 4 months and still no progress. I went after spending so much time, effort and money on over the counter products which never helped. I could probably fix up my diet as i don’t eat much veg. I’ve cut down on my makeup as I think that causes massive flare ups however it’s hard when I want to cover it. I hate washing my brushes but I will do it more regularly lol!
Reply 9
Original post by The Wavefunction
Water, water and more water. At least 3L per day.

Make sure you change your pillow cases often.

Use clean towels.

yeah I have bought a bottle that gives me times so I’m trying to stick to that sometimes failing but trying lol.
I read online about pillow cases being a huge problem so I will do that more often.
Thanks for the good advice
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Back in secondary school, I used something called Epiduo which got rid of 95-99% of my acne.

BUT there's a better solution

Drink plenty of water. I basically only drink water and honestly, my skin has never looked better.

Do you know where I could buy this and maybe give it a go? Water seems to be the main advice so I definitely need to sort that out
Do you know where I could buy this and maybe give it a go? Water seems to be the main advice so I definitely need to sort that out

You can get it prescribed to you from your gp. Careful it makes your fce red, dry and feels like its on fire.

Honestly, my advice is just go with water, it'll do the job.
Original post by StarbucksLife14
Go see your GP about it. Many of the products in the supermarket do not work. Depending on the severity of your acne they will either give you some cream or send you for further appointments for accutane medication.

My acne is mainly on my forehead and sometimes my chin. I am on antibiotics at the moment and see no progress but I was sent to a dermatologist and they just said to continue on the tablets and wait for results so I’m at a dead end there as there’s no change
Try using this tea tree night mask from The Body Shop. I don't have acne but I get breakouts and this mask has helped clear my skin so much and judging by the reviews it has helped a lot of other people too. I know it's a bit expensive but it lasts for a long time and you only need a little bit every night. It stops your skin getting oily when you sleep and it helps with the pillowcase thing too because your skin won't touch the pillow but it doesn't over dry your skin either. Just put it on before bed and it dries up in a few mins then wash it off in the morning.
water and tea tree cleanser usually from boots does the job and wash face 2 times a day and little moisture since that creates more spots for me
Thank you for your response I am on a course of antibiotics at the moment and have been for around 4 months and still no progress. I went after spending so much time, effort and money on over the counter products which never helped. I could probably fix up my diet as i don’t eat much veg. I’ve cut down on my makeup as I think that causes massive flare ups however it’s hard when I want to cover it. I hate washing my brushes but I will do it more regularly lol!

No problem at all! I suggest you definitely do go again to the Doctors, I'm sure they can try to find another solution if the antibiotics haven't had an impact. I know washing brushes can be a pain, but definitely worth doing if it can help your skin and really good you've cut down on the make-up too.
In terms of face washes, you may also want to stay away from stuff that is too harsh as they could be flaring up your acne. I know the Neutrogenia range is quite good for acne, maybe give that a try :smile:
And possibly try some face masks for detox and purity to prevent your pores getting blocked :smile:
Is turmeric and honey any good for reducing acne?
Reply 17
I cut out caffeine and that seemed to help a lot. I also stopped using loads of creams and went with one sensitive face wash, followed by a spot fighting moisturizer.
Original post by ForeverAQx
No problem at all! I suggest you definitely do go again to the Doctors, I'm sure they can try to find another solution if the antibiotics haven't had an impact. I know washing brushes can be a pain, but definitely worth doing if it can help your skin and really good you've cut down on the make-up too.
In terms of face washes, you may also want to stay away from stuff that is too harsh as they could be flaring up your acne. I know the Neutrogenia range is quite good for acne, maybe give that a try :smile:
And possibly try some face masks for detox and purity to prevent your pores getting blocked :smile:

yeah I defo will! as soon as I read your comment I washed them lol and it wasn't that bad.yeah as my skin is sensitive I need less perfumed products so I may try the neutrogina range. charcoal masks are supposedly good so may try them thanks again
Original post by MJ1012
I cut out caffeine and that seemed to help a lot. I also stopped using loads of creams and went with one sensitive face wash, followed by a spot fighting moisturizer.

I have cut out fizzy drinks as I drank a lot of lemonade. I use a few products as well as antibiotics which may be causing an issue. thanks for your response

Quick Reply

Latest