The Student Room Group

Should I go to a lower rated university after receiving high a level results?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theranis
Rankings matter to a point, and mostly only for the top 10-15 universities. There is hardly much difference between a university ranked 29th and a university ranked 37th, a 8 place difference, yet there is obviously significant difference between #2 and #10.

Agreed although I was implying a difference between a top 30 uni compared to a top 150. But still whether it's #2 or #10, it's the best of the best
Original post by Mmenrirbdhsjs
Hi guys, please don’t take this as me looking down on lower universities I’m only here for advice. I received my results and got way higher than I expected(AAA) and now people are saying my university choice which I accepted as an unconditional months ago is not good enough for me. I won’t name the uni as I don’t want to offend anybody but they require bcc to get in, although I’ve heard people getting in with as low as ds. I really like the uni tho and even tho this won’t affect my decision majorly my best friends of 15 years are both going and we olanned on living together. Any ‘better’ unis I applied for through clearing have said to come back next year but I don’t want to set my studying back a hole year. What do you guys think I should do? Go to a more prestigious uni and wait a year or go to a lower rated uni where I believe I’ll be just as happy? Thanks for any replies

What course? Is the university you have a place at your home town university or somewhere away from home? Do you have any particular career ambitions as yet?
Original post by richardsmith
Go to a better uni or you’ll regret it later on.

this is simply not true. i am the biggest university snob going as i based my entire university choices on that alone and all the successful people in my office went to ex-poly unis but came with a big CV of strong work experience
Original post by SomMC1
Agreed although I was implying a difference between a top 30 uni compared to a top 150. But still whether it's #2 or #10, it's the best of the best

If you are using QS ranking as reference, I would put uni from 1 to 30 as first tier, 30 to 100 as second tier, 100 to 400 as third tier and 400 after.

As for if uni ranking matters it really depends on the subject and the job.
1. Moving in with school friends seems like a good idea now, but living with someone can really test a friendship. Would your not rather broaden your horizons and meet new people? I've just graduated, and those friends who were actually important to me, I'm still in touch with now. Others...well lets just say, you learn who your real friends are. 2. Honestly, you've smashed A-Levels. Taking a year out to work and really think about what you want to do might not be a bad idea. Right now I bet all you can think about is flying the nest. I know I was. But take it from experience, taking your good time to think about uni, get some good work experience, and potentially get a better uni place, will 1000000% be worth it in the long run. Good luck!p.s. I had fully intended on going to hull with bbb but ended up at leeds with aab. never regretted it once. I've just graduated with a first.
the answer to this can be found out by researching statistics for your preferred career choice and course.
if the top ten courses all have salary expectations after 5 years of 35k etc and then 50th type unis have career expectations after 5 years of 23k you know there is likely to be an issue and you would be better of taking a year out.

if however your looking at a gap of one or two k or no real gap at all then this really is not relevant.

further what career do you want if your looking to become a teacher for example it likely wont matter unless you want to work in a private school or do private tutoring.

if however your looking to go into investment banking or law like others have said it will make a real difference.

I really think career prospects and what you want to do should be the biggest influences on your decision.

after that you need to consider personal preferences. university will be 3/5 years of your life depending on course and other factors the outcome will likely affect your whole life.
Original post by Luke7456
the answer to this can be found out by researching statistics for your preferred career choice and course.
if the top ten courses all have salary expectations after 5 years of 35k etc and then 50th type unis have career expectations after 5 years of 23k you know there is likely to be an issue and you would be better of taking a year out.

if however your looking at a gap of one or two k or no real gap at all then this really is not relevant.

further what career do you want if your looking to become a teacher for example it likely wont matter unless you want to work in a private school or do private tutoring.

if however your looking to go into investment banking or law like others have said it will make a real difference.

I really think career prospects and what you want to do should be the biggest influences on your decision.

after that you need to consider personal preferences. university will be 3/5 years of your life depending on course and other factors the outcome will likely affect your whole life.

still makes a difference for teaching.. teachfirst and gigs at elite schools are pretty much overwhelmingly filled with good uni grads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
go to the university u have already applied for because u did like it. if u don't like it during the first year, transfer to a different university for your second year. this way, u wont waste a year and you wont keep thinking that maybe u should have gone to your first choice.
and transferring to another uni is easy.
if u dont mind me asking, what are u planning to study?
Reply 28
Original post by Princepieman
still makes a difference for teaching.. teachfirst and gigs at elite schools are pretty much overwhelmingly filled with good uni grads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have data on Teach First?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Hi guys, please don’t take this as me looking down on lower universities I’m only here for advice. I received my results and got way higher than I expected(AAA) and now people are saying my university choice which I accepted as an unconditional months ago is not good enough for me. I won’t name the uni as I don’t want to offend anybody but they require bcc to get in, although I’ve heard people getting in with as low as ds. I really like the uni tho and even tho this won’t affect my decision majorly my best friends of 15 years are both going and we olanned on living together. Any ‘better’ unis I applied for through clearing have said to come back next year but I don’t want to set my studying back a hole year. What do you guys think I should do? Go to a more prestigious uni and wait a year or go to a lower rated uni where I believe I’ll be just as happy? Thanks for any replies

I was in a similar position to you when I got my results. I got A*AA despite my offer being BBC. Despite this, I went to my original university to give it a try; I was offered £2,000 per year so I figured 'why not?', although I knew it was likely that I wouldn't stay.

The university itself was great it had a nice campus, I met nice people, and I was involved in societies. However, as I expected, there was still something there which knew I could go somewhere else which would better equip me academically.

It was a tough decision, but I ended up dropping out after the first semester (in December) and reapplying to UCAS. In the meantime, I got a job and done some voluntary work at my old school, which allowed me to save a lot of money and bolster my application. I was eventually accepted into Durham University.

The year out gave me a lot of opportunity to develop myself, too. I learned more about what I was interested in, and came out of it with a much more mature attitude with an eagerness to study. I also know that I'm at the best university I could get into with my grades, so despite missing my old university in some ways, I don't in any way regret my decision.

Whilst it's ultimately up to you what you decide to do, I don't think you have much to lose by either taking the year out or trying your current university, and dropping out if you feel you want to go elsewhere. Just make sure that you do something productive with your year out. It's a great personal-development opportunity, and university can wait another year.
Original post by Student-95
That's not true at all. In engineering for example, your university choice doesn't matter much at all. Why would it? Most of the criteria used for rankings is irrelevant to employers.

russel group uni always turns a head
Original post by Doonesbury
IB perhaps, banking in general, nah.

Does OP want a career in IB? Most people don't.

And most Engineering grads don't go into IB (or banking) either.

excuses,excuses.
You're ignoring the facts and investing in hope
Definitely do the following:

Gap year
Re-apply next year for a uni that warrants your academic ability
Spend your gap year saving money for uni and MOST IMPORTANTLY.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the best relevant work experience you can find, apply to summer schools at top unis. Read a relevant book or two.

Basically use the gap year to make the sickest personal statement going

is right

I agree in principle, but 50th type universities generally have students with notably lower A level scores so don't get far on a lot of grad scheme applications (or with many larger companies for office type jobs). The figures aren't strictly relevant to the OP given their grades.

I would probably look into Adjustment and see what options are available. Note that you have until the end of August to do this. Best of luck!
Original post by samhughessss
russel group uni always turns a head

Don't think you know what Russel group means.
Reply 36
Original post by samhughessss
excuses,excuses.
You're ignoring the facts and investing in hope

1534922917738.jpg

Source: http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/helping-the-uk-thrive/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ajj2000
I agree in principle, but 50th type universities generally have students with notably lower A level scores so don't get far on a lot of grad scheme applications (or with many larger companies for office type jobs). The figures aren't strictly relevant to the OP given their grades.

Well a lot of lower ranked universities have a disproportionally large number of firsts they give one t due to manipulated grading systems. Not many employers to my knowledge are looking at the actual degree transcript of results.
meaning on paper there is no difference with the cv application of a student who got a first because their best six modules scored over 70% when everything else was a marginal pass
compared with the student who passed everything with 100% success rate.
When 40% plus of students from some of these unis get firsts the prospects are not great.

now I know realistically no one is getting 100% in everything a strong student might pull of mid 80s or low 90s but my Point is no matter how well you do at a lower uni on paper you are little different to the student who got a first by dodgy grading systems.

Unless they are going of mainly your a levels in which case what is even the point of university? Your university clearly matters for some subjects. And career paths.
Reply 38
Well a lot of lower ranked universities have a disproportionally large number of firsts they give one t due to manipulated grading systems. Not many employers to my knowledge are looking at the actual degree transcript of results.
meaning on paper there is no difference with the cv application of a student who got a first because their best six modules scored over 70% when everything else was a marginal pass
compared with the student who passed everything with 100% success rate.
When 40% plus of students from some of these unis get firsts the prospects are not great.

now I know realistically no one is getting 100% in everything a strong student might pull of mid 80s or low 90s but my Point is no matter how well you do at a lower uni on paper you are little different to the student who got a first by dodgy grading systems.

Unless they are going of mainly your a levels in which case what is even the point of university? Your university clearly matters for some subjects. And career paths.

This is a problem with employers, I've heard of low ranking universities completely discarding students' lowest 1 or 2 module marks and taking an average from the highest ones, meaning in theory they don't really have to revise or even turn up to their weakest subjects, as well as handing out 90%+ grades to mediocre students who get this with ease. Whereas at a stronger uni most students are just aiming to hit the 60% mark where the standards are generally higher. The standards between going to a good uni vs a bad uni do differ massively! Employers really need to start recognising that.

I got higher than expected grades and decided to stick with my firm choice of a lower ranking uni. I knew I would be happy there and the other unis didn't have the same feeling. I've just finished my first year and absolutely love it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending