The Student Room Group

Boyfriend suddenly ended it and said something was off

I was dating a guy for around 2 months up until yesterday, with the last month having been long-distance. We actually met a few years ago at uni but were never really super close plus we were both seeing other people, but I thought he was nice. Anyway, around 4 months ago, we got in touch on facebook. We caught up on work stuff, and with time, we ended up speaking every single day, sending long messages and the conversations became flirty. Even though I hadn't seen him, I was starting to like him and really wanted to meet up. I was abroad so we met up at the very start of July, and over the month saw each other about 7 times, and spoke every day in between. There was definitely a spark between us, and we clearly liked each other, the problem was that it would be long-distance, as I'm living abroad. We talked about it and he told me he 100% wanted to be with me, but admitted h was worried about the distance and wanted to see how it went. But he told me that he was serious about me, there was a definite spark between us, I was amazing, special etc.. We stayed in touch every day for 3 weeks, and it continued as before; the affection, the compliments etc. and we were both so excited to see each other again. 3 weekends ago we went out, and it was lovely. We had such a good evening, a good laugh, we got on so well. And he just looked so happy, we held hands and he wanted to kiss me all the time and put his arm around me. I thought we were so well-suited.. we were definitely not just friends, there seemed to be very clear feelings between us. We were so similar, so much in common, never any blanks in the conversation, and so much chemistry. I went home feeling blissful, and then it all changed.
From the very next day, he was distant by message. It sounds daft, but you do pick up on these things. And then eventually he just started talking to me like I was a friend. I later asked him if something had changed and he said no. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought i'd surely just imagined it. However, it continued. Suddenly taking days to reply to me, zero affection, no pet names, avoiding stuff about me and him. I knew something was up and a week later I asked if we could talk on the phone. He told me he had just been really drained and stressed with work, and I didn't want to come across as too clingy so I thought I'd just chill out and assume he was busy, but the behaviour didnt change. We were meant to see each other tonight, we'd had this weekend planned for over a month. But last night, I finally got the truth out of him. He told me that I was a lovely girl and amazing, but that he'd had a feeling for a while that something was off and that we weren't meant to be together. He said he was attracted to me and nothing I'd done wrong but he didn't think we were suited.

I admit, it came as an absolute shock given everything he had said/done. He just said that something was "off" and that he'd tried to think about it, hence the emotional distance, but that he couldn't shake it off. He said he wasn't pretending last time and understands why I'm so surprised and hurt, as well as the fact that he ended it on facebook, and had just let me believe for weeks that he was simply busy and that everything was fine, when he could have been upfront with me. I admit I'm gutted. He just seemed to have changed from one day to the next. I'd have noticed if something wasn't right the last time, but it was the total opposite. He couldn't stop kissing me or being affectionate and we just had such a great time. My friends think that he might be scared of committing, that he thinks it could become serious and that he panicked. His explanation just doesn't add up, as he even admitted how suited we were. I made it clear that I wanted a relationship but I said I'd be happy to go slowly, I had no intention of rushing anything. What do people think about this? Does the commitment thing seem likely? I just do not understand how somebody can lose all of their interest from one day to the next... thanks.
If he wants to be in a relationship, he has to want to show a commitment to you. It isn't something you can force. It might be that he is not ready to be in a relationship or he is finding things difficult at work or elsewhere. I would give him some time and space to decide what he wants.
He doesn't seem to be ready (or willing for that matter) to be with you. Though it does seem weird after hearing it from your side, maybe he's just not into it. Seeing as it was long-distance, maybe he's been doing something he shouldn't be... Hopefully not, but we'll never know.

I think you should wait a while, see what happens. Like about 3 months. If he ends up talking to you again and shows signs of interest, then sure, go ahead. But if he ends up blocking you or completely ignoring you like he's been doing so far, it might be time to move on. Sorry.
Original post by Anonymous
I was dating a guy for around 2 months up until yesterday, with the last month having been long-distance. We actually met a few years ago at uni but were never really super close plus we were both seeing other people, but I thought he was nice. Anyway, around 4 months ago, we got in touch on facebook. We caught up on work stuff, and with time, we ended up speaking every single day, sending long messages and the conversations became flirty. Even though I hadn't seen him, I was starting to like him and really wanted to meet up. I was abroad so we met up at the very start of July, and over the month saw each other about 7 times, and spoke every day in between. There was definitely a spark between us, and we clearly liked each other, the problem was that it would be long-distance, as I'm living abroad. We talked about it and he told me he 100% wanted to be with me, but admitted h was worried about the distance and wanted to see how it went. But he told me that he was serious about me, there was a definite spark between us, I was amazing, special etc.. We stayed in touch every day for 3 weeks, and it continued as before; the affection, the compliments etc. and we were both so excited to see each other again. 3 weekends ago we went out, and it was lovely. We had such a good evening, a good laugh, we got on so well. And he just looked so happy, we held hands and he wanted to kiss me all the time and put his arm around me. I thought we were so well-suited.. we were definitely not just friends, there seemed to be very clear feelings between us. We were so similar, so much in common, never any blanks in the conversation, and so much chemistry. I went home feeling blissful, and then it all changed.
From the very next day, he was distant by message. It sounds daft, but you do pick up on these things. And then eventually he just started talking to me like I was a friend. I later asked him if something had changed and he said no. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought i'd surely just imagined it. However, it continued. Suddenly taking days to reply to me, zero affection, no pet names, avoiding stuff about me and him. I knew something was up and a week later I asked if we could talk on the phone. He told me he had just been really drained and stressed with work, and I didn't want to come across as too clingy so I thought I'd just chill out and assume he was busy, but the behaviour didnt change. We were meant to see each other tonight, we'd had this weekend planned for over a month. But last night, I finally got the truth out of him. He told me that I was a lovely girl and amazing, but that he'd had a feeling for a while that something was off and that we weren't meant to be together. He said he was attracted to me and nothing I'd done wrong but he didn't think we were suited.

I admit, it came as an absolute shock given everything he had said/done. He just said that something was "off" and that he'd tried to think about it, hence the emotional distance, but that he couldn't shake it off. He said he wasn't pretending last time and understands why I'm so surprised and hurt, as well as the fact that he ended it on facebook, and had just let me believe for weeks that he was simply busy and that everything was fine, when he could have been upfront with me. I admit I'm gutted. He just seemed to have changed from one day to the next. I'd have noticed if something wasn't right the last time, but it was the total opposite. He couldn't stop kissing me or being affectionate and we just had such a great time. My friends think that he might be scared of committing, that he thinks it could become serious and that he panicked. His explanation just doesn't add up, as he even admitted how suited we were. I made it clear that I wanted a relationship but I said I'd be happy to go slowly, I had no intention of rushing anything. What do people think about this? Does the commitment thing seem likely? I just do not understand how somebody can lose all of their interest from one day to the next... thanks.

I don't think he's 100% about a relationship or commitment. You should clarify things with him and if he isn't on the same boat as you then there's no point trying to have a relationship- he will probably just hurt you again.
I’d take his answer at face value rather than trying to over-analyse it: it wasn’t feeling right to him so he ended it. It doesn’t need to have a deeper reason.
Original post by Anonymous

He's explained it to you and it's a valid reason to end it. Try to move on as best you can because dwelling on it won't make it any better.
It's been 2 months. Either the distance was too much or he didn't feel you were that compatible. Either way it's a really short thing so it's not a huge surprise.
Reply 7
thanks for the replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending