The Student Room Group

Going to uni in America

So I’m from the uk and f*ck it I don’t wanna stay here any minute longer.

I wanna go to uni but not in the uk. So I’ve been thinking to go to America or somewhere else abroad.

My question is how do I got about the whole process?
Original post by _WOLF_
So I’m from the uk and f*ck it I don’t wanna stay here any minute longer.

I wanna go to uni but not in the uk. So I’ve been thinking to go to America or somewhere else abroad.

My question is how do I got about the whole process?

yh I'm going to do the same when I'm 18. I went to a meeting about going to american unis and watched some videos on it. u have do their tests before u apply aswell the SAT and or ACT qnd there some other things
Apply to do the ACT and see what you get. Look up what unis you’re wanting to apply for and see their average ACT scores. You can also sit the SAT subject tests. When looking up unis make sure to look up ones with good bursaries/scholarships for internationals, or ones that are ‘needs blind’ which means they don’t look at your finances when you’re applying which means they’ll give you as much as you need. In the US most unis are on the commonapp, basically the American UCAS. Be prepared to write lots of essays. Also, their ‘personal statement’ is really different to ours, I suggest you look up examples on YT or something.
For funding you need to fill in something called a CSS profile and there’s a LOT of information you need.
And remember, they have far lower acceptance rates so don’t take it personally, however you can apply to as many unis as you want! Have some £££ in handy though as you need to pay to send off your ACT and your CSS to each uni, and some teachers from your school who like you because they’ll have some work to do.
Feel free to ask me any more questions 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dartagnankillian
Apply to do the ACT and see what you get. Look up what unis you’re wanting to apply for and see their average ACT scores. You can also sit the SAT subject tests. When looking up unis make sure to look up ones with good bursaries/scholarships for internationals, or ones that are ‘needs blind’ which means they don’t look at your finances when you’re applying which means they’ll give you as much as you need. In the US most unis are on the commonapp, basically the American UCAS. Be prepared to write lots of essays. Also, their ‘personal statement’ is really different to ours, I suggest you look up examples on YT or something.
For funding you need to fill in something called a CSS profile and there’s a LOT of information you need.
And remember, they have far lower acceptance rates so don’t take it personally, however you can apply to as many unis as you want! Have some £££ in handy though as you need to pay to send off your ACT and your CSS to each uni, and some teachers from your school who like you because they’ll have some work to do.
Feel free to ask me any more questions 😊

Thank you. That sounds like a f*ck ton of work but I’ll happily look into it if it means leaving this hell hole of a country behind.
Original post by _WOLF_
Thank you. That sounds like a f*ck ton of work but I’ll happily look into it if it means leaving this hell hole of a country behind.

how exactly is america better than the UK?
Original post by _WOLF_

It is a lot of work, but if it’s what you want then good luck! I forgot to add, if you REALLY like a uni apply to them ‘early decision’ before November; it increases your chances of being accepted BUT you can’t change your mind :smile: you can only apply to one uni this way, just select it on the commonapp. Also, earlier is better!
PM with any questions 😊
Reply 6
Original post by Secretnerd123
how exactly is america better than the UK?

The uk has f*cked me over too much. I hate the weather, I hate the people, I hate the food, I hate the emptiness, i hate the education system, I hate absolutely everything. America just sounds like more fun, better weather (in some states), better opportunities, better social life, better everything.
Original post by _WOLF_
The uk has f*cked me over too much. I hate the weather, I hate the people, I hate the food, I hate the emptiness, i hate the education system, I hate absolutely everything. America just sounds like more fun, better weather (in some states), better opportunities, better social life, better everything.

in that case, I wish you the best of luck! but just remember that unless you get a more positive mindset, youre likely to feel this way no matter where you go. every country has its downsides so also make sure you do plenty of research and watch youtube videos about people from here who moved there to see what its like
Reply 8
Original post by Secretnerd123
in that case, I wish you the best of luck! but just remember that unless you get a more positive mindset, youre likely to feel this way no matter where you go. every country has its downsides so also make sure you do plenty of research and watch youtube videos about people from here who moved there to see what its like

Thanks for the heads up. I wanna travel around the world so I don’t plan on staying there much longer after uni. I like new countries and new surroundings.
Original post by _WOLF_
Thanks for the heads up. I wanna travel around the world so I don’t plan on staying there much longer after uni. I like new countries and new surroundings.

im the same except london is home so ill travel so much and hopefully move around and live in different countries for a year but ultimately I dont wanna move permanently from here.
You do realise that after study you have to go home? (Or at least leave the USA)
Pretty much every country in the world doesn't want random people moving and working without permission
After completing an American degree you have 60 days to leave
Reply 11
Original post by domonict
You do realise that after study you have to go home? (Or at least leave the USA)
Pretty much every country in the world doesn't want random people moving and working without permission
After completing an American degree you have 60 days to leave

Thats my plan
First step before you even begin a common app is RESEARCH. Do your research - I'm American, so I'm guessing I know a bit more about our schools than you might, but the research period was still so crucial to me, and will be to you as well. After 3 months of "college shopping" during my junior year, I went from looking at small liberal arts schools in small towns scattered around the east and west coast to eventually figuring out that where I really belonged was in a larger university closer to a city where I can have access to job and internship opportunities. My original college list is almost foreign to what it looks like now. However, if I had not taken the time to really get to know these schools (through research and touring, though I know touring might not be possible to you) I might have gone down a path that would have left me unhappy. SERIOUSLY, do not miss out on research.

I would say start with a list of your priorities and work to narrowing down a nice list of schools you want to apply to. For me, elements such as location was really important (I really want to be in California). There are so many schools out here and it is easy to feel overwhelmed by what you are looking for - use online "college quizzes/surveys" that can help you fine-tune these colleges before you start researching. Eventually, you will have a nice list of schools that you will be ready to start applying to. I've got a list of about 18 schools on my college list, though that is on the high end, and remember that every college means more essays.

Someone above mentioned testing, and that is another important component. I don't know if/which US schools require international students to take subject tests, but you will for sure be required to take at least one SAT/ACT test for the schools you apply to. After taking the SAT multiple times, the best advice I can give you is don't take take the test on a whim - practice at home as much as you can (there are great resources online and books you can purchase) so that you are ready to score well by the time you take it and don't have to waste time, energy and money continuing to retake for a better score. Those tests are LONG and they are not fun, so try your best to get it done early.

When you have finished all of this, you will move onto your application, where you will start your Common App, as well as any other additional online applicatiosn (so if you apply to UC schools, or Georgetown, for example, you will need to work on these schools' separate application systems because they are not on the Common App). There will be a personal statement (which you can learn about more online) and supplements (shorter essays) you will need to complete for each school you are applying to. These supplements take a lot of work, and deadlines can hit hard, particularly when you are still trying to balance your grades in school. Don't let these essays slip away from you, as the essays are often the most important part of your application to the school (think of the grades/test scores more as the gateway into whether or not the admissions team will be interested in reading your application).

Lastly, I just want to mention that the complaints you have about the UK are ones that I often articulate about the US. There's a lot of great things to mention about America, but in all honestly, living in NY, our weather is often worse (the east coast has hotter/more humid summers and colder winters than the UK), the people are not all that friendly (at least in large cities, and New Yorkers are downright MEAN lmao), rent prices can be crazy, political and class division is an increasingly serious and disturbing issue, gun violence is a very real threat in SCHOOLS (among other places), and though we have great universities here, they are often incredibly expensive and hard to get into (for everyone). I guess my point is, we all end up finding reasons to dislike where we live, but if you do end up studying here, come with an open mindset - there will be differences for sure, but unfortunately we are not everything that Britain is not

This was a lot longer than I expected lol. I hope this helped though; let me know if you have any questions about specific schools or about living in the states in general.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending